PDA

View Full Version : Aging?

BBB725
10-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Just in case you weren't feeling too old today .

The people who are starting college this fall w ere born in 1991.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up..

Their lifetime has always included AIDS .

The CD was introduced two years before they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable..

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been microwave d .

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: 'Where's the Beef?', 'I'd walk a mile for a Camel ', or 'de plane Boss, de plane'.
McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Pass this on to the other old fogies on your list.

P.S... Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

ChiefApache
10-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for making me feel so good about myself this morning sweetie. :ack2:

BBB725
10-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks for making me feel so good about myself this morning sweetie. :ack2:

No problem grandma:sifone:

Strawberry?

Tom A.
10-23-2009, 08:36 AM
This stuff always makes me go wow, I have been around for awhile!
I remember when my parents first got cable TV with the box attached to the tv with a cord and the channel selector slid side to side from 2 - 13 and then the alphabet started. Always wondered why they didn't just add numbers.
I was home sick from school when the first space shuttle blew up.

jayboat
10-23-2009, 08:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOCGvUAKXtY :26:

ChiefApache
10-23-2009, 08:39 AM
No problem grandma:sifone:

Strawberry?

You suck.

Wrinkleface
10-23-2009, 09:52 AM
B's, R U just look'n 4 a beat down or what!!!!!:beatdeadhorse5::biggrinjester::seeya:

Shah Mat
10-23-2009, 09:59 AM
I have been coaching my daughter's soccer team for many years, since she was 9....

My "aging" moment came when the players were driving themselves to practice.

BBB725
10-23-2009, 10:29 AM
B's, R U just look'n 4 a beat down or what!!!!!:beatdeadhorse5::biggrinjester::seeya:

That's what I need right now:sifone:

Knot 4 Me
10-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Senior in college when the shuttle blew up.

BBB725
10-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I have been coaching my daughter's soccer team for many years, since she was 9....

My "aging" moment came when the players were driving themselves to practice.

My worst eye opener came when a group my daughter belongs to needed a song for a skit, I suggested "Rock around the Clock". All I got was blank looks, so I said you know Bill Haley and the Comets, more blank looks, so I said OK Happy Days theme song, more blank looks and What is Happy Days? Ouch that hurt

ChiefApache
10-23-2009, 10:34 AM

I was at home on maternity leave with my first child....who turns 24 in January.

BBB725
10-23-2009, 10:56 AM

1986, had 11 years in the business and been married for 3

MarylandMark
10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
1/28/86. Was in middle school and is my brothers bday.

rainmn
10-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Popcorn has always been microwave d .

My kids are only 5 & 8, but they still think microwave popcorn sucks (and it's my fault).

About 2 years ago, I asked my wife to pick up some regular popcorn when she was food shopping. I remembered my Mom making popcorn on the stove when I was a kid, and for whatever reason, wanted to make some that way.

We now have a burnt up pot that's dedicated to making popcorn, and nobody in the house will eat microwave popcorn anymore.

Perlmudder
10-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I must say, being born in 1987, and being in my last year of university, it still amazes me when I walk around campus and see these first year students who are just so small and innocent looking. It's hard to believe I was the exact same 4 years ago. I was waiting in line in the food court the other day, and the girl in front me had to be no more then 4'8 and 80 pounds, she looked like she belonged in high school. I do however find it really funny the first couple weeks when you see freshmen walking around so clueless about where to go for their classes, and being all nervous. I remember that exact same feeling.

cuda
10-23-2009, 12:01 PM
My kids are only 5 & 8, but they still think microwave popcorn sucks (and it's my fault).

About 2 years ago, I asked my wife to pick up some regular popcorn when she was food shopping. I remembered my Mom making popcorn on the stove when I was a kid, and for whatever reason, wanted to make some that way.

We now have a burnt up pot that's dedicated to making popcorn, and nobody in the house will eat microwave popcorn anymore.

Mom still has a popcorn popper. I rembered thinking if mom broke out the popcorn popper, we were in for a boring day. Btw, we had two channels on the bw tv,

cuda
10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
My gf's 21 year old daughter is back from Guam, where she's been stationed for three years . A guy about my age said her squadron should be known as the "Fighting Foxes". Tris told me she had never heard a good looking girl called a fox!

Now, I really feel old. :(

BBB725
10-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Mom still has a popcorn popper. I rembered thinking if mom broke out the popcorn popper, we were in for a boring day. Btw, we had two channels on the bw tv,

They had TV when you were young? I thought Ben was still flying a kite looking for electricty:sifone:

CDOWNS
10-23-2009, 12:22 PM
I was in the third grade when the shuttle blew up.:USA:

Scarab KV
10-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks Brooks. I really didn't need that.

I was roll'n west on I-24 by Paducah, KY when news broke on the radio about the shuttle. I think prior to 911, that was our generation's Pearl Harbor.

My aging moment was when my son found my old stereo in the attic. After studying it for a bit, he asked, "What's this whole in the front for?"
Ahh...that's where you insert the 8-track.
The what???

Then he finds my Pong counsel and thinks it's the coolest thing in the world, cause it's a vintage video game

10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
senior in college when the shuttle blew up.

+1

ZBODaytona
10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
i was in the third grade when the shuttle blew up.:usa:

+1

cuda
10-23-2009, 02:28 PM
They had TV when you were young? I thought Ben was still flying a kite looking for electricty:sifone:

I do remember the first color tv in the neigborhood. :)

Bobcat
10-23-2009, 06:43 PM
I was in the third grade when the shuttle blew up.:USA:

and at 15 yrs old you had the biggest ..............:sifone:

RebarBox
10-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I remember when Honda introduced the first ATV - they had two models that year. One floated and both had three wheels. Do any of you old farts know the year?

DAREDEVIL
10-23-2009, 09:38 PM
i remember when honda introduced the first atv - they had two models that year. One floated and both had three wheels. Do any of you old farts know the year?

phragle
10-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I remember when Honda introduced the first ATV - they had two models that year. One floated and both had three wheels. Do any of you old farts know the year?

honda introduced the ATC 90 1n '70 and it sold for $595, the 70cc in 74

rainmn
10-23-2009, 10:11 PM
honda introduced the ATC 90 1n '70 and it sold for $595, the 70cc in 74

An ATC 70 would float, depending on the size of the rider. When we were younger, my friend's little brother had a 70 that we used to ride into the bay all the time.

Expensive Date
10-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Working day tour Brooklyn South.

Brad
10-24-2009, 12:45 PM
I was walking into the office this summer with a young attractive girl. As we were talking I told her I had just had my 24th aniversary at the company, she looked at me and smiled and said I'm going to be 24 next month!

03darkshadow
10-24-2009, 01:15 PM
I must say, being born in 1987, and being in my last year of university, it still amazes me when I walk around campus and see these first year students who are just so small and innocent looking. It's hard to believe I was the exact same 4 years ago. I was waiting in line in the food court the other day, and the girl in front me had to be no more then 4'8 and 80 pounds, she looked like she belonged in high school. I do however find it really funny the first couple weeks when you see freshmen walking around so clueless about where to go for their classes, and being all nervous. I remember that exact same feeling.

last year when i was in college, i remember walking around going darn, im old. just because of all the silly little kids. they cant buy beer or go to a bar.. :rofl: sucks for them.. :biggrinjester:

Perlmudder
10-24-2009, 03:53 PM
last year when i was in college, i remember walking around going darn, im old. just because of all the silly little kids. they cant buy beer or go to a bar.. :rofl: sucks for them.. :biggrinjester:

Last night it was pouring out so we just had a building party, and it was fun, but by the end I was ready to go crazy from being inside all night. I don't know how people just live in rez and are happy there. It would kill me not to be able to go out to the bars. Thank god for fake id's when I was that age! :)

MikeyFIN
10-24-2009, 03:56 PM
My worst eye opener came when a group my daughter belongs to needed a song for a skit, I suggested "Rock around the Clock". All I got was blank looks, so I said you know Bill Haley and the Comets, more blank looks, so I said OK Happy Days theme song, more blank looks and What is Happy Days? Ouch that hurt

so you felt like Ritchie Cunningham ;)

MikeyFIN
10-24-2009, 03:58 PM
I was walking into the office this summer with a young attractive girl. As we were talking I told her I had just had my 24th aniversary at the company, she looked at me and smiled and said I'm going to be 24 next month!

And you didnīt get the hint ??? :biggrinjester:

Scarab KV
10-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Holy chit. You're a young ung:rofl:

Big Time
10-27-2009, 04:37 PM
I remember seeing the shuttle blow up as I was only 6 at the time, but remember seeing the footage and talking about it in class the next day (if i remember correctly there was a teacher on board). This thread even makes me feel old. I remeber I would disappear for 7-8 hrs on my bike (w/not helmet btw) when I was a kid...no cell phones back then, and just enough money to buy a sandwich. Then I would get back just before dark in time for dinner. I feel like you just wouldn't be able to do that these days w/out being labeled a terrible parent, but back then it was just the norm. I wonder if things have really changed that much or if most of it is perceived (due to the negative media)....

Anyway...still haven't hit the 30 mark (nxt year) but feel pretty old right now thanks to this thread. My girlfriend just turned 24 and she maybe gets 1/5 of the 80's reference's/jokes on Family Guy (if you watch the show you know what I am talking about), kinda makes me feel old again....

Airpacker
10-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Ya, you're old now perl. :rofl:

I graduated 3 yrs before your daddy shot your mommy with you:26:

Airpacker
10-27-2009, 05:17 PM
I do remember the first color tv in the neigborhood. :)

Me too. We had it. Every kid on our street was at our house Saturday mornings to watch Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny etc. We got 5 channels if I recall.
Two from Toronto which were the CBC and CTV networks, one local and two from Buffalo.

Anyone remember Commander Tom? :)

cuda
10-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Sky King :)

catastrophe
10-27-2009, 06:54 PM
How old is Grandpa???

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.

The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before":

' television
' penicillin
' polio shots
' frozen foods
' Xerox
' contact lenses
' Frisbees and
' the pill
There were no:
'credit cards
' laser beams or
' ball- point pens
Man had not invented:
' panty hose
' air conditioners
' dishwashers
' clothes dryers
' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . and then lived together.
Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."
We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, day-care centers, and group therapy.
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense..
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You! could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, .. . but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:
' "grass" was mowed,
' "coke" was a cold drink,
' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
' " chip" meant a piece of wood,
' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
' "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind... you are in for a shock! on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time..

This man would be only 59 years old.

Scarab KV
10-27-2009, 08:46 PM
How old is Grandpa???

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.

The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

' television
' penicillin
' polio shots
' frozen foods
' Xerox
' contact lenses
' Frisbees and
' the pill
There were no:
'credit cards
' laser beams or
' ball- point pens
Man had not invented:
' panty hose
' air conditioners
' dishwashers
' clothes dryers
' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . and then lived together.
Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."
We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, day-care centers, and group therapy.
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense..
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You! could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, .. . but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:
' "grass" was mowed,
' "coke" was a cold drink,
' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
' " chip" meant a piece of wood,
' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
' "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind... you are in for a shock! on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time..

This man would be only 59 years old.

Actually thought maybe it was BB:biggrinjester:

Indy
10-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Sky King :)

LOL...out of the clear blue of the western sky comes...SKY KING!!

Indy
10-27-2009, 10:20 PM
My friend Flicka?

cuda
10-28-2009, 06:39 AM
LOL...out of the clear blue of the western sky comes...SKY KING!!

And his neice Penny. :)

catastrophe
10-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Fury

Bobcat
10-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Space Angels

clayinaustin
10-28-2009, 09:50 AM
How old is Grandpa???

' television
' penicillin
' polio shots

'This man would be only 59 years old.

The discovery of penicillin is attributed to Scottish scientist and Nobel laureate Alexander Fleming in 1928. If "grandpa" was born before penicillin and still alive today, he would be over 80! :eek:

That "cut and paste" is older than some of the Claymates! :p

cuda
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
The discovery of penicillin is attributed to Scottish scientist and Nobel laureate Alexander Fleming in 1928. If "grandpa" was born before penicillin and still alive today, he would be over 80! :eek:

I had an uncle who died at three years old because there was no penicillin. My dad was born in 1927, and my uncle was before him.

catastrophe
10-28-2009, 03:52 PM

You are right , I looked but it said that it was used on the public in late 40s

BBB725
10-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Actually thought maybe it was BB:biggrinjester:

Funny old man, you have more snow on the roof then me:26:

Scarab KV
10-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Funny old man, you have more snow on the roof then me:26:

Can ya spare some shoe polish?:biggrinjester: