PDA

View Full Version : General Racing Question?

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Hello All-

For the past two years or so I have wanted to join you all there on the race coarse, now I am really gettting the itch really bad and just want to ask a few questions.
I come from a racing background of Snowcross and was a mechanic on a few motocross/ enduro teams so I do know general racing. This was a lot of fun.

I know I would need to purchase a boat and get it ready for next year but I wanted to know which of the smaller HP classes is the most fun to be part of (SVL, SS, P2/P4)? It would be a family sport where either my wife or my father would be racing with me depending on the schedules. I see alot of disscussions about SVL but not much about the other classes? Any input from the racers would be great!

Thanks for all your help!
Don

DAREDEVIL
10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
I think all classes are fun !!!!

Just up to u what kind of boats u like better !!
Also is a budget thing.

I think the cheapest way is run the current P-5-4 classes with a single engine boat.
But ,,others may think diffrent ?!

SVL,SS cat,open V ,cockpit V's ????? Its all fun.:USA:

PS,,u should come to KW and talk to the teams and see for yourself whats going on ,,SBI is probably best for u since your in FL.

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I think all classes are fun !!!!

Just up to u what kind of boats u like better !!

SVL,SS cat,open V ,cockpit V's ????? Its all fun.:USA:

I would like to stick with a canopy boat for a little added safety.

Sean H
10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
with the boats you have had, SS would fit you perfectly.

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 01:56 PM
with the boats you have had, SS would fit you perfectly.

I do agree with you that the SS looks to be a good class but my only concern is that with SS is that a 2 and 3 year old boat does not look to be competitive with the front runners. So I would purchase a boat and in 2 years I would need to upgrade. An example is my current 2003 30 Motion. It is an ex race boat and is a good running boat but it wouldn't be competitive with today's SS boats....... In your personal option if someone built a new Motion, predator or (pick an brand) with a canopy would it be able to compete for the win against the new Doug Wright's?

Sean H
10-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Could it be done? Yes. Would it be easier to start with a DW? Yes.

The dominate boats right now are 2 and 3 years old.

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Could it be done? Yes. Would it be easier to start with a DW? Yes.

The dominate boats right now are 2 and 3 years old.

And they are the newest design of the 32 DW.

Sean H
10-21-2009, 02:13 PM
And they are the newest design of the 32 DW.

Well, until KW.

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Well, until KW.

Yep, and at that point that one will make it hard for the others to be competitive. Don't get me wrong I think it is amazing what technology is going into the new SS boats, it is just hard for someone like me who is just comming into the sport to justify jumping into the SS class knowing that no matter how well the boat is setup or how good of race I would run I couldn't be competitive. I don't want to race to just go around the track, I would (after many hours of seat time) like to be competitive.

So with that said, what about the P classes or SVL?

imco offshore
10-21-2009, 02:23 PM
my opinion would be if you have a budget your wanting to spend, pick a class that fits into your budget,,ss or svl , i thought i heard ryan beckley say his budget per race was (about) 5000 a race mine in svl is about 3000,, if your going to be new into offshore buy a proven product,,dont deal with a lot of r & d if you don,t have to, there are a lot of other things to consentrate on,,,later you can reinvent the wheel ,,lol good luck,, i would help you in any way i can, if you want a close class ,,,on any given day any svl out there can win,,,:USA:

SVL66
10-21-2009, 02:25 PM
SVL...most bang for the buck. You can buy a competitve used boat for around 60-75k. You can run P4 or SVL safely and have a good time. A new SVL will set you back about 150k, by the time your done. A new SS is around 225.

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 02:31 PM
SVL...most bang for the buck. You can buy a competitve used boat for around 60-75k. You can run P4 or SVL safely and have a good time. A new SVL will set you back about 150k, by the time your done. A new SS is around 225.

Interesting....... And at the end of the day all we are looking to do is have fun, be competitive and meet some new friends. What is the boat of choice is SVL, phantom?

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 02:52 PM
I had a ex race Motion 30 with 280s, and bought a SVL. Sometime I miss the outboards, but for racing it is hard to beat the versatiliy, saftey, and cost of a SVL. Knowing what I know now. I would not want to race my Motion with out a canopy, or race an open boat faster than 85 mph.

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
I had a ex race Motion 30 with 280s, and bought a SVL. Sometime I miss the outboards, but for racing it is hard to beat the versatiliy, saftey, and cost of a SVL. Knowing what I know now. I would not want to race my Motion with out a canopy, or race an open boat faster than 85 mph.

Thanks for the info. Just for curiosity what do you miss about the outboards?

Sean H
10-21-2009, 02:58 PM
SVL would be the vee alternative to SS. Another great class.

and in SS, don't confuse GB's 20 years or whatever of doing this with hull domianance. If DW never built a SS hull, GB would still be running up near the front. Ultimately, you have to beat the team, not the boat, in either class.

and the new DW coming out in KW, as it sits now, isn't legal in OSS, it's meant for Xcat.

A hull like Stihl, Anabolic, Miccosukee, etc will be competitive for years to come.

SVL66
10-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Interesting....... And at the end of the day all we are looking to do is have fun, be competitive and meet some new friends. What is the boat of choice is SVL, phantom?

Phantom or Extreme ...Im partial to Phantom. Great running boat. I think the extremes chine walk a little more.

Sean H
10-21-2009, 03:04 PM
There is a brand new phantom, unrigged, sitting at will's waiting for a new owner!

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 03:10 PM
You are looking into the exact same thing I have been researching for over a year now.

Most reasonable spec class boat. SVL, a competitive bot used is around 55000 to 70000 used. Even if you buy a decent one without a motor and add the engine. Costs to maintain over the course of a season, ask the teams, but very minor. Drive trains may last 3 or 4 seasons. They are also capable of running P4 or P5 in OPA's classes. In SBI, I think they are P4, In OSS P2. SO they are good almost everywhere. Plus they are very safe with the canopy. I have talked to no one who recommends an open boat for a husband/wife team. Talk with IMCO, Dunbar's, Typhoon, and SVL66.

Second most reasonable spec class boat. Outboard Cat. Very competitive boats out there currently for around 80,000 to 100,000. Pretty much the same thing. One class higher in all orgs for P classes. One complete rebuild per season on the outboards. Probably $5000. Talk with Ryan Beckley, 2TR, and Steve Quick. I do not believe a current competitive boat will be non-competitive in 2 or 3 years. But ask those 3.

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 03:12 PM
By the way, have you run a race yet?

Ryan Beckley
10-21-2009, 03:18 PM
The FIRST 30' DW is still out the racing and competitive.....as Sean said it's more about the people running the boat , than the boat it self. All of the boats run about the same speed, they all have different attributes that give an advantage in one way or another. The engines are all the same, props play a good part but most all of us run similar stuff. gearcases are all stock. Seat time and Balls are a major factor. There were 115 mph 28 skaters 10 years ago some of those would work well on some of todays flat courses.....

The ONLY thin I didn't like about the SVLs is how hard & rough the ride is in bumpy water, the feel much more out of control to me......

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 03:19 PM
The ONLY thin I didn't like about the SVLs is how hard & rough the ride is in bumpy water, the feel much more out of control to me......

Softy.......:sifone:....:leaving:

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info. Just for curiosity what do you miss about the outboards?

8000 rpm scream, flying the hull, 100+mph at almost 2mpg. I don't miss pulling the pin out a hand grenade everytime I went to the lake.

Will add the Cat rode better at the same speed, but you can run a SVL much more out of control, and still be safe. SVls have an amazing ability to heel up when on the edge.

Ryan Beckley
10-21-2009, 03:35 PM
when you get in either one of these boats and do a race you can call me softy....until then pipe down old man!!! lol......keep studying......you BETTER be on the race course next season in one or the other.......

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 03:36 PM
when you get in either one of these boats and do a race you can call me softy....until then pipe down old man!!! lol......keep studying......you BETTER be on the race course next season in one or the other.......

There is no way they ride worse than a 24 Bat......:sifone:...And I'm still looking around....

Ryan Beckley
10-21-2009, 03:40 PM
I've raced a 24' Bat Boat before too, they were a fun ride, the 28 in KW with 700hp was also a fun ride......

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 03:41 PM
By the way, have you run a race yet?

Nope, I have not, but I miss racing and seeing I live in florida its hard to race snowmobiles without any snow, so I might as well try something new.

Ryan Beckley
10-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Anabolic, STHIL, and Rollin Vengence are all for sale right now.....

twainscott
10-21-2009, 03:44 PM
I was right were you are, a year ago. I was forunate enough to reach out to OSS this May when they announced their "racing with the Pros" program. I got paired up with Randy & Team Typhoon in Lake Cumberland. I had never met him, let alone, been in a race boat before. I thought I was going to get to "test" with him, but it ended up being a race weekend in SVL. What a great bunch of guys (and girl). They welcomed me with open arms, and shared all their advice & knowledge. I got to run at LOTO in the Nationals with Schluess again. I'm hooked, and now looking forward to more racing in 2010!

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Welcome Tim,

It was great meeting and racing with you this past season.

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Anabolic, STHIL, and Rollin Vengence are all for sale right now.....

Where are they advertised?

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Welcome Tim.:USA: He raced with Randy and still wants to come back:sifone:

SVL66
10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Welcome Tim.:USA: He raced with Randy and still wants to come back:sifone:

thats a good one:willy_nilly:

Sean H
10-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Where are they advertised?

I can get you in contact with the Anabolic guys, Ryan should have the contact info for the other two.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Well Tim, does much does Randy like ya?

This much? :sifone:

SVL66
10-21-2009, 04:08 PM
silly question but......did randy drink all those Margarittas?

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-21-2009, 04:12 PM
He is usually a beer drinker.. The Margaritas make you friendly.

I drink my share. Lot count that night.

Ryan Beckley
10-21-2009, 04:21 PM
I sure am going to miss MY BUDDY MobileMargaritaMan in Key West this year.....

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 04:24 PM
I am still kinda upset I didn't get my share of margaritas at LOTOs, Not like I needed them.

RACESDAD
10-21-2009, 04:46 PM
get a svl, or go big and get a catlite. you know running an 2stroke hard it will cost to keep powerheads and lowers. svl or catlite, 525, min maintanence, alot of fun

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I am still kinda upset I didn't get my share of margaritas at LOTOs, Not like I needed them.

You were too busy chasing George around the bar.....:sifone:

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 04:55 PM
get a svl, or go big and get a catlite. you know running an 2stroke hard it will cost to keep powerheads and lowers. svl or catlite, 525, min maintanence, alot of fun

Cat Lites are too expensive .....:)

Ryan Beckley
10-21-2009, 04:56 PM
We ran THE ENTIRE YEAR (10 RACES) on a set of powerheads and gearcases, with out any major issue.

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 04:58 PM
It would be a family sport where either my wife or my father would be racing with me depending on the schedules. I see alot of disscussions about SVL but not much about the other classes? Any input from the racers would be great!

Don[/QUOTE]

It is a famliy sport for us. My wife races with me, and My new in laws go to every race, and help with the boat/sponsor. My 15 year old son, brother, my parents, and other famly members make it to several races a year.

The next question how much do you want to travel? We travel an average of 12-14 hours to each race. Really not the bad, and get to see places that you might never go.

DAREDEVIL
10-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Well Tim, does much does Randy like ya?

This much? :sifone:

:ack2::ack2::ack2:

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Scotty:sifone:

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 06:14 PM
It would be a family sport where either my wife or my father would be racing with me depending on the schedules. I see alot of disscussions about SVL but not much about the other classes? Any input from the racers would be great!

Don

It is a famliy sport for us. My wife races with me, and My new in laws go to every race, and help with the boat/sponsor. My 15 year old son, brother, my parents, and other famly members make it to several races a year.

The next question how much do you want to travel? We travel an average of 12-14 hours to each race. Really not the bad, and get to see places that you might never go.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Do you throttle or drive? Looking at the 2009 SBI schedule we would be able to make all the events in FL and the SE US. Driving 12 hours to an event doesn't seem like a big deal for us.

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Do you throttle or drive?

Come on,:)

Get Jenni and yourself both on here and tell the entire story.....:sifone:...:sifone:...:sifone:

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-21-2009, 06:38 PM
They have some stories too..

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
How many times were we side by side this year?

Man, winter can not pass fast enough.

imco offshore
10-21-2009, 06:55 PM
those two boats are riding on the props only,,,too cooool,,,, so you want to be an svl driver? :boxing_smiley: come get yourself some, come bad,,,or leave sad,, :driving:

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I agree. The drivers do all the important stuff anyway......:sifone:

imco offshore
10-21-2009, 06:57 PM
yea mark do you drive or throttle???? or ????? :bigear:

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 07:07 PM
My favorite was Biloxi start first race when we split between Pirate and Imco. I yelled at Jenni "get ready this could get real ugly real fast if they see us". 3 wide with maybe 18 inchs on each side. Charlie in the saftey helocoper said it was one balliest moves he had seen in along time. Probably not but I want to think so. Sarasota was great 2 or 3 laps side by side, semi rough, Cumberland both starts. LOTO in pro am was great.

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Drive and instruct

Wahoo 214
10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I would consider were you want to race and look for the biggest class you comfortly afford to race in. Pepper comment of go big has a lot of merrit. Buying a SVL doesn't give any pleasure boat resale value and there are only 3-7 guys willing to buy and race one. If you buy a 36 Skater like Showtime, Pepppers or Motley Crew you can get a very fair price, have nearly no maintence and do very well when you sell as either a race boat or Pleasure boat. Plus you can race it anywhere

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Drive and instruct

Now where's Jenni for her side of the story.....:sifone:

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I would consider were you want to race and look for the biggest class you comfortly afford to race in. Pepper comment of go big has a lot of merrit. Buying a SVL doesn't give any pleasure boat resale value and there are only 3-7 guys willing to buy and race one. If you buy a 36 Skater like Showtime, Pepppers or Motley Crew you can get a very fair price, have nearly no maintence and do very well when you sell as either a race boat or Pleasure boat. Plus you can race it anywhere

Lightning Jack's is out there asking about $200,000. That's the cheapest one I currently know of with the 525 setup.

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Now where's Jenni for her side of the story.....:sifone:

Still working, she likes the old days of smack talk with Randy and the Kostilacs hates the politics.

Wahoo 214
10-21-2009, 07:22 PM
That is exactly what Superheat did by buying the 40 Platinum. Went from a 24' to an incredible Platinum. Bought it at a fantastic price and could most likely race it for 2 years and sell it for what they paid.

I would buy a SCL with 6's or if that was too much buy the Rated R 38 Fountain with 525s and XRs for 110-120,000. It comes with 4 new motors and 4 new drives. No engine issues for at least 3 years and may be $5,000 worth of gear sets a year in maintence

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Buying a SVL doesn't give any pleasure boat resale value and there are only 3-7 guys willing to buy and race one. If you buy a 36 Skater like Showtime, Pepppers or Motley Crew you can get a very fair price, have nearly no maintence and do very well when you sell as either a race boat or Pleasure boat. Plus you can race it anywhere[/QUOTE]

We used our SVL as a pleasure boat for almost 20 hours this year. 3 mpg cruise. We have it we are going to use it. Do I recommend it, not really. With mufflers it is not that bad, just wants to make you want to kill jetskis, pontoons and rental boats.

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 07:34 PM
I would also look at class 5 boats.

DiamondPerformance
10-21-2009, 07:46 PM
and the new DW coming out in KW, as it sits now, isn't legal in OSS, it's meant for Xcat.

Why won't it be legal?

Ryan Beckley
10-21-2009, 07:58 PM
The new DW has TOO wide of tunnel......

imco offshore
10-21-2009, 08:23 PM
the svl can also be driven in any series ,, as a pleasure,, or poker run boat,, just like the cats they can be raced as svl or p class ,,,,, trim the canopy (just like the cats do) for pleasure,,,or leave them alone and do poker runs,,, bottom line what is your budget,, svl can be run by yourself and your wife, and a pick-up,, for some reason scl all have a lot of team members a large support trailer with a lot of spare stuff,with a large hauler and also a pick-up..so it again whats your budget? svl we jump in our trucks pull our boats to a race get a room along the way, reach our race site and have fun,, we don,t need to cordinate the route with stops and rooms for how many? feed and house a whole team all weekend,,, ect,,, its all about your money , good luck in what ever direction you choose, please do yourself a favor first, look into how well all the teams get along with each other in what ever class you choose.

jayboat
10-21-2009, 08:24 PM
DO IT DON!!! :willy_nilly::driving::hurray::coolgleamA::cheers2:

Ryan Beckley
10-21-2009, 08:48 PM
YEA...the SCL guys all get along SOOO WELL..........

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 08:54 PM
the svl can also be driven in any series ,, as a pleasure,, or poker run boat,, just like the cats they can be raced as svl or p class ,,,,, trim the canopy (just like the cats do) for pleasure,,,or leave them alone and do poker runs,,, bottom line what is your budget,, svl can be run by yourself and your wife, and a pick-up,, for some reason scl all have a lot of team members a large support trailer with a lot of spare stuff,with a large hauler and also a pick-up..so it again whats your budget? svl we jump in our trucks pull our boats to a race get a room along the way, reach our race site and have fun,, we don,t need to cordinate the route with stops and rooms for how many? feed and house a whole team all weekend,,, ect,,, its all about your money , good luck in what ever direction you choose, please do yourself a favor first, look into how well all the teams get along with each other in what ever class you choose.

That is some of the best advice. Thanks. I will be done in Key West getting as much info as I can. You SVL guys seem to be a very happy bunch.

Thanks again.

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 08:57 PM
DO IT DON!!! :willy_nilly::driving::hurray::coolgleamA::cheers2:

Thanks Jay! We are going to try and put something together for next year. Its a work in progress.

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Here is a question for boats with sponsors. What does the sponsorship pay for? I assume that is for some of the fees.... What is the going rate for a sponsorship? If this is too personal I understand but if I could get some info it would help me a lot. If you would rather email me you can at dgardner@maritimeenggrp.com

Ryan Beckley
10-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Don and Paul please continue on and search for what works for you. I can HONESTLY tell you that you will not go wrong with a SVL or SS boat. These are the two best classes for someone that want lower cost competitive racing. If you want to run the boat in P-class , you can do that too.

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Just a note Ryan. SV as it pertains to OPA rules would be my third choice.....:sifone:

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Lets get one this striaght, I don't have anywhere near the money to play in SCL or SV. LOL.
If I can put something togther is will either be a used SS or SVL. Then the boat would either be raced in SS, SVL or P2/P4. We will have a small crew of family and friends.
This is a great discussion please keep it going for me!

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 09:29 PM
The blue boat in the other thread in Marathon is also something you may want to peak at. However, until one of our SVL guys get a peek at it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at any price.

phragle
10-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Will you have a good supply of spare parts including livers???

SVL66
10-21-2009, 09:38 PM
The blue boat in the other thread in Marathon is also something you may want to peak at. However, until one of our SVL guys get a peek at it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at any price.

Blue Boat?

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-21-2009, 09:40 PM
If you know Ryan spend some time with him. He is as informed as anyone can be as far as what boats will work well for what you want to do and how to go about courting sponsors.

As far as sponsors go I suggest you budget without them. Every situation is unique in some way. Only a handful at best have big sponsors. It is more common to have a few that contribute toward to expenses. Some with product some with fees. Some local companies help at sites. It takes a non stop effort to keep help coming your way.

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Blue Boat?

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10749&page=3

Post 47

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-21-2009, 09:43 PM
I sure am going to miss MY BUDDY MobileMargaritaMan in Key West this year.....

I am going to miss you too. I am already beginning to hurt.

I am still kinda upset I didn't get my share of margaritas at LOTOs,

Who are you kidding?

SVL66
10-21-2009, 09:49 PM
this boat is gorgeous and for sale. they are asking 59,000

Ratickle
10-21-2009, 09:50 PM
I had not seen that one advertised anywhere. It is sweet looking.

SVL66
10-21-2009, 09:51 PM
it was in OSO classifieds for a while. Im sure its still available

SVL66
10-21-2009, 10:00 PM
http://www.ablboats.com/details.php?id=78071

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 10:06 PM

Do you have a contact # for this boat?

SVL66
10-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I think Randy from Typhoon does. we'll hook you up

imco offshore
10-21-2009, 10:29 PM

that boat is awsome the paint job alone looks like 10,000 bucks .they came to loto last year it is first class,,,:USA: i really don,t think the svl.s for sale will be around after christmas...

SVL66
10-21-2009, 10:29 PM
or you can make a deal on this one

http://www.phantomboats.com/new/index.html

Maritime_eng
10-21-2009, 10:35 PM
I think Randy from Typhoon does. we'll hook you up

Have him get in touch with me. dgardner@maritimeenggrp.com
Thanks
Don

Dunbar 104
10-21-2009, 10:42 PM
What other SVLs are out there? Heard Laveycraft is for sale as a hull. no motor or drive.

imco offshore
10-21-2009, 10:45 PM
or you can make a deal on this one

http://www.phantomboats.com/new/index.html

bruce, i saw that one yesterday,, # 1- brand new - with the windsheild,,gas tank 62 gal,,, on a brand new trailer, the brother in law deal is 60,000,, but as we all know, call and strick your own deal? will smith at phantom boats in sarasota,:USA:

SVL66
10-21-2009, 10:53 PM
What other SVLs are out there? Heard Laveycraft is for sale as a hull. no motor or drive.

the only other boat i can think of is the extremocean. But they may run it in VL next year.

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/p336855132/h3d03ed9f#h3d03ed9f

imco offshore
10-21-2009, 11:12 PM

i still say someone should get in touch with the Kostalocks and see what their intentions are for next year , it,s worth a call,

DAREDEVIL
10-22-2009, 12:55 AM
There is an other one for sale also ,,,,used,,no engine ,,no drive,,everything else is there. new fueltank and new transom and stringers. NO CUT OUT ON TRANSOM YET !!!

Had a #5 on it.

I think 35 K with trailer ?!!!

SVL66
10-22-2009, 05:27 AM
There is an other one for sale also ,,,,used,,no engine ,,no drive,,everything else is there. new fueltank and new transom and stringers. NO CUT OUT ON TRANSOM YET !!!

Had a #5 on it.

if your referring to the 3 seater, its too heavy. Used to be the original Wild Ride Boat. And the AMF raffle boat.

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 06:49 AM
if your referring to the 3 seater, its too heavy. Used to be the original Wild Ride Boat. And the AMF raffle boat.

Too heavy because of the layup? Or something changeable???

And tell these other guys to get their boats listed in our classifieds under race boats. It's free for now, what's the holdup........:)

phragle
10-22-2009, 06:53 AM
hmmmm....I wonder what Rat's asking Santa for this christmas????

Dunbar 104
10-22-2009, 09:32 AM

Wasn't that the first Phantom with a canopy? I forgot about that one.

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 09:35 AM
They're dreaming on thiis price by about double or more....:ack2:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-Lavey-Craft-28-EVO-95160936

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 09:41 AM

Had a #5 on it.

Where is it? And no transom cutout yet?????? A redo???

Sean H
10-22-2009, 09:55 AM
They're dreaming on thiis price by about double or more....:ack2:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-Lavey-Craft-28-EVO-95160936

It's worth more as a pleasure boat, and remember, thats a 2006, not a 10 year old race boat. The new bare hull phantom well cost you half that to start with.

I like the looks of the lavey's the best, they just dont seem to be fast enough in calmer water races.

DAREDEVIL
10-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Where is it? And no transom cutout yet?????? A redo???

Yep,,thats why its not to heavy anymore, replaced all the old wood floor with blasticore and so on.

But what do i know.

Right now its actually in fiberglass shop so if somebody would be intressted ,,the work is payed for, he could get the boat how he whants it.

And its not a 3 seater anymore, unless the owner whants it to be.

Dropped the floor and got them ugly integrated seats out.

still not finished, but can be done for next year, so buyer can be involved in the build.:USA:

SVL66
10-22-2009, 10:02 AM

Yes ...first one. I think Octane was #2.

SVL66
10-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Too heavy because of the layup? Or something changeable???

And tell these other guys to get their boats listed in our classifieds under race boats. It's free for now, what's the holdup........:)

Was originally Stainless Marine. Yes layup. If I recall, the bottom had some work done.(teflon or epoxy or something like that). Anyway, the earlier boats were just a bit heavier than the later ones. plus or minus 200 lbs.

Dunbar 104
10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
How many Xrtremes are there? Typhoon, Wild Ride, Vortec, Pig iron any more?

Wahoo 214
10-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Lets get one this striaght, I don't have anywhere near the money to play in SCL or SV. LOL.
If I can put something togther is will either be a used SS or SVL. Then the boat would either be raced in SS, SVL or P2/P4. We will have a small crew of family and friends.
This is a great discussion please keep it going for me!

Well there you go. Find the best deal you can and race. If you buy a SS you know you will never finish last.

Ryan Beckley
10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
There was another Extreme or two that went to Trinidad.....

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 10:43 AM
If you buy a SS you know you will never finish last.

? Dean, you lost me.....????

Wahoo 214
10-22-2009, 10:44 AM
I think Ryan got it

Dunbar 104
10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
There was another Extreme or two that went to Trinidad.....

I forgot about that one. I was thinking that Guy was interested in SVL before he built the cat.

DAREDEVIL
10-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I think Ryan got it

Just like u if he buys a SV ?!!!!! :rofl:

U should rename your boat into FLIPPER:kiss::sifone:

NOW U CAN ALL GIVE IT BACK @ ME .LOL

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 10:57 AM

You just can't live without the abuse, huh??????:sifone:

Wahoo 214
10-22-2009, 11:07 AM
J

It's no fun anymore, your just too easy.

jayboat
10-22-2009, 11:22 AM
It's no fun anymore, your just too easy.

LMAO! :reddevil:

2TR
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
If you buy a SS you know you will never finish last.

:lurk5:

Maritime_eng
10-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Well there you go. Find the best deal you can and race. If you buy a SS you know you will never finish last.

It must be an inside joke..... LOL. I love all the sh@t talking........ Reminds me of being around my family.

2TR
10-22-2009, 12:24 PM
It must be an inside joke..... LOL. I love all the sh@t talking........ Reminds me of being around my family.

I feel sorry for you around Thanksgiving time than ... :sifone:

Sean H
10-22-2009, 12:31 PM

Ryan cracked on the SV bravo boats for always having broken drives hangin' off the back, Dean cracked on Ryan for usually being behind the DW's.

If smack talking was racing, offshore wouldn't have any problems. :sifone:

Maritime_eng
10-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I feel sorry for you around Thanksgiving time than ... :sifone:

LOL, Thanksgiving, heck its evey weekend. My parents live 3 blocks from Amanda and I. The trash talking starts on Fridays and ends sometime on Suday.

DAREDEVIL
10-22-2009, 12:34 PM
LOL, Thanksgiving, heck its evey weekend. My parents live 3 blocks from Amanda and I. The trash talking starts on Fridays and ends somethime on Suday.

No matter which class u chose,,,u fit right in ,,i can tell. HEHE:rofl:

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 12:37 PM
No matter which class u chose,,,u fit right in ,,i can tell. HEHE:rofl:

Except P4 SBI. Those guys are crazy!!!!!!:sifone:...:ack2:...:sifone:

Ryan Beckley
10-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I got it alright :o) ......I wasn't making a "CRACK" just stating facts, trying to keep a rookie from making a costly mistake.....

Sean H
10-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Any bravo based boat bigger than a SVL for racing is a bad idea waiting to happen... and even then, they are pushing the limits.

Ryan Beckley
10-22-2009, 01:02 PM
PLEASE whatever you decide to buy, do your homework, ask ALOT of questions, NOT JUST TO THE OWNER, don't get in over your head.

See you all in KW.......

Wahoo 214
10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Ryan is right. I could of sand bagged and ran class 3 (95mph) with my Cat that ran 118. Or if I wanted to save money I could beg people to support my racing habit and ride around in the back of the pack and get lapped. It works for Ryan, but not for me.

Ryan Beckley
10-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Dean. Just a little more motivation....Best of luck to you.

Wahoo 214
10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Any bravo based boat bigger than a SVL for racing is a bad idea waiting to happen... and even then, they are pushing the limits.

Sean, I agree the Bravo is the weak link, but I wouldn't say it was a bad idea. First, prior to spinning in the last race, I did not spend a penny on the drive the entire season other than oil changes. Additionally, they make the class affordable and more competitive. You need to throttle the boat unlike a 6 boat. So would I rather have a 6 boat, hell yeah, but I would also say the bravo brings somethings to the table.

Wahoo 214
10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Dean. Just a little more motivation....Best of luck to you.

Sorry, just stating facts. No hard feelings.

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 01:20 PM
If nothing else, the Bravo is the great equalizer. Makes for a great, competitive, class.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Sorry, just stating facts. No hard feelings.

The facts do not include getting lapped. :boxing_smiley:

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Additionally, they make the class affordable and more competitive. You need to throttle the boat unlike a 6 boat. So would I rather have a 6 boat, hell yeah, but I would also say the bravo brings somethings to the table.

Just for grins how much does a spin out usually cost?

DAREDEVIL
10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Ryan is right. I could of sand bagged and ran class 3 (95mph) with my Cat that ran 118. Or if I wanted to save money I could beg people to support my racing habit and ride around in the back of the pack and get lapped. It works for Ryan, but not for me.

Dean,,,where did U not run in the back of the pack ,,?????:rofl:

Ok,,,1 race ,WOW

DAREDEVIL
10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
By the way,,here we are again in a good thread gone bad ,,,STUPID.

EGO"S RUIN EVERYHTING !

C-YA in KW.:USA:

SVL66
10-22-2009, 01:43 PM
OMG!!!!!...for once I agree with DD

Cmon guys.... keep a lid on it. lets not scare away someone who is interested in racing.

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Dean,,,where did U not run in the back of the pack ,,?????:rofl:

Ok,,,1 race ,WOW

I've seen a second and know of a first this year. :sifone:

Let's keep this one a little happier guys. Smack talk is supposed to be funny.....:)

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 01:44 PM

Do I have to send out the suicide watch???????:sifone:

Dunbar 104
10-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Cmon guys.... keep a lid on it. lets not scare away someone who is interested in racing.

I was thinking the samething just did not want to admit it.

SVL66
Do I have to send out the suicide watch???????:sifone:

Not necessary...I took a sedative:drool5:

Ratickle

The one thing I'm very curious of, would the IMCO drive like is on some SVL's be strong enough to take a spinout on the SV's? And are they legal for OPA SV???

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I was thinking the samething just did not want to admit it.

:rofl:

SVL66
10-22-2009, 01:47 PM
The one thing I'm very curious of, would the IMCO drive like is on some SVL's be strong enough to take a spinout on the SV's? And are they legal for OPA SV???

I doubt it...the weak link is the gimbal ring, not the drive. once that lets go , all hell breaks loose ....literally and yes they are legal

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Is there an alternative gimbal ring available? Or that is the weak link and will always be so?

SVL66
10-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Is there an alternative gimbal ring available? Or that is the weak link and will always be so?

I know IMCO makes a stronger ring. Im not sure anyone has one except for George. Also, Hill performance makes a SS gimabal ring. Once again...dont know anyone that has tried one. Problem is, if you put a stronger ring in, the next weak link is the helmet.

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm a fan of the SV class being Bravo as that is the equalizer. Over the course of a couple/three years, a 6 may even be cheaper. But, if you consistently remove the weak link, the emphasis becomes on improving/modifying to the next weak link.

Somewhere you have to have rules. Watching a SV race in OPA is not a boring event. I cannot imagine how exciting it would be with 6 or 8 of them out there......

Wahoo 214
10-22-2009, 01:59 PM

Having spun at least 5 times in the last 2 1/2 yrs running the fountain it has not broken anything until this last time. It cost two cases. Never snapped a skeg, broke a gimbal or broke a helmet. May be lucky but in all the pics I have seen it appears that the boat always spins on the bow (expect this last time) with the drives in the air so they are not under the extreme stress of a tail spin. From what it looked like and felt like this last time the skegs snapped and that caused the spin.

Ryan Beckley
10-22-2009, 02:01 PM
There are several different types of gimble ring updates available. Not alot stands up to an 8000lb boat doing flat spins....

2TR
10-22-2009, 02:06 PM
You need to throttle the boat unlike a 6 boat. .

HELLO ... Pot, Kettle.. Black.:huh:

Ryan Beckley
10-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Sorry guys......I will keep it to myself next time......I edited for proper content.

Wahoo 214
10-22-2009, 02:12 PM
HELLO ... Pot, Kettle.. Black.:huh:

Don't worry Rick. I'll let you drive next year. :sifone:

2TR
10-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Don't worry Rick. I'll let you drive next year. :sifone:

Ok.. sound fair, I drive your Fountain and you drive my Cat...

Phantom1
10-22-2009, 03:53 PM
http://www.ablboats.com/details.php?id=78071

I hope that is just vinyl over the original graphics. Yes, I am biased, but I still think it was/is one of the better looking SLV's.

Phantom1
10-22-2009, 03:57 PM

Here is the first canopied Phantom

Ryan Beckley
10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Bronx Phantom = Team Octane

phragle
10-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Having spun at least 5 times in the last 2 1/2 yrs running the fountain it has not broken anything until this last time. It cost two cases. Never snapped a skeg, broke a gimbal or broke a helmet. May be lucky but in all the pics I have seen it appears that the boat always spins on the bow (expect this last time) with the drives in the air so they are not under the extreme stress of a tail spin. From what it looked like and felt like this last time the skegs snapped and that caused the spin.

6KVkIejRK1Q

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 04:25 PM
This one shows sold....

http://boats.iboats.com/phantom_boats/271742.html

imco offshore
10-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I know IMCO makes a stronger ring. Im not sure anyone has one except for George. Also, Hill performance makes a SS gimabal ring. Once again...dont know anyone that has tried one. Problem is, if you put a stronger ring in, the next weak link is the helmet.

bruce you just have to change the ring,,helmet,,shaft ,, u-joints and cross ,,should be good to go, and that is y i DON,T run the long skeg !!! :USA:

Phantom1
10-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Bronx Phantom = Team Octane

With a stint in Trinidad in between, correct? Came back with some technicolor paint job?

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 04:30 PM
bruce you just have to change the ring,,helmet,,shaft ,, u-joints and cross ,,should be good to go, and that is y i DON,T run the long skeg !!! :USA:

Is that all IMCO (I know you're biased:sifone:) stuff that fixes those issues?

Ryan Beckley
10-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Yea....it was Kiss of Fire in Trinidad....

Dunbar 104
10-22-2009, 04:35 PM
This one shows sold....

http://boats.iboats.com/phantom_boats/271742.html

Change the graphics and think real hard:sifone:

imco offshore
10-22-2009, 04:36 PM
yes mine is ,,,, i run the short skeg to keep all the side force down,, makes jimmys job a little harder,,,, but ,,,i error to the safety side and to finish the races ,

imco offshore
10-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Change the graphics and think real hard:sifone:

y mark do you know that boat ,,,lol and then he woke up lol

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 04:39 PM
This one is $42,000 minus engine...

http://www.boatingswapshop.com/listing/694/30_Phantom_Closed_Canopy_Race.html

Seller: waY2Krazy Racing
City: Doraville
State: Georgia
Price: $42,000.00
Seller Type: Private Seller

Boat Type: Performance Boat

Year: 1997

Manufacturer: Phantom

Model: Closed Canopy

Length: 30 foot

Hull Material: fiberglass/kevlar

Engine(s): Single

Horsepower: 500+

Engine Hours: 0

Fuel Capacity: 60 gallons

Condition: 1 Excellent

Phone: 770 722 6037

Description:
Boat being sold without engine.(Engine was leased as part of Research & Development Program with GM when boat was raced).Just add your engine and go Race or Pokerrun.Boat, drive, trailer, race equipment, misc.parts included in price. Always in covered storage, raced 2003 season, upgraded since then, 2 axle trailer, priced to sell, ready to race, Since 2003 Race Season new 60 gallon Gas tank replaced 110 gallon tank. New tank recessed to improve center of gravity and handling of boat. Stringers reconditioned and restored by Wil Smith of Phantom Boats (Manufacturer). Boat is presently lighter, stronger, and faster than when raced in 2003. With Super Vee Light Engine - boat exceeded 85 mph before weight reduction and handling improvements. With fresh power of same horsepower - will exceed 90 mph. Boat includes:External Hydraulic Steering.Race/Keif Tim Tabs. IMCO Extension Box & Drive,2 Shorty IMCO lower units,1 Large shaft prop-shaft,1 Regular shaft prop-shaft,Several race/balanced propellers including Hydromotive and Bravos.On-board Oxygen System.1 - Halon Fire extinguisher in engine compartment.2 - Halon Fire extinguisher in cockpit.Garmin GPS.New KVH Azimuth 1000 Compass.Life Vests.Helmets with Communication System.Snap out/in cockpit padding.Tournau Cover.Fenders/bumpers.Additional seat bolsters/cushions.Misc spare parts.All gauges replaced in 2003.Everything in working order.Tandem Galvanized Aluminum Trailer with extended rear-gate to protect boat outdrive.See: for additional pictures.Call 770 722 6037 for information.Emails without contact information will not receive replys.

imco offshore
10-22-2009, 04:42 PM
This one is $42,000 minus engine...

http://www.boatingswapshop.com/listing/694/30_Phantom_Closed_Canopy_Race.html

there is a lot more missing than the engine now and it,s now 50,000,,

Phantom1
10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Yea....it was Kiss of Fire in Trinidad....

Looks much better now....

Ratickle
10-22-2009, 05:30 PM
there is a lot more missing than the engine now and it,s now 50,000,,

Told you they'd start raising prices....

imco offshore
10-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Told you they'd start raising prices....

thats why i said buy before christmas, and even then you will need to hustle to make the season start,,,,:USA:

DAREDEVIL
10-22-2009, 10:05 PM
thats why i said buy before christmas, and even then you will need to hustle to make the season start,,,,:USA:

Yeah PAUL,,,this one here as your name all over !!!!!!!!!!:sifone:

U know which one..........

Wahoo 214
10-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Paul,

Take the leap. You have been bitten by the bug.

Ratickle
10-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Paul,

Take the leap. You have been bitten by the bug.

Heck, I was bitten before running with you and Rick. Just made it worse. :sifone:

Dunbar 104
10-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Something like if you wait for the right time to have a baby you will never have a baby.

Sure glad Jenni wanted a boat instead of a baby.

Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Only live once. better buy one before you get to old.

Its only money.

DAREDEVIL
10-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Something like if you wait for the right time to have a baby you will never have a baby.

Sure glad Jenni wanted a boat instead of a baby.

Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Only live once. better buy one before you get to old.

Its only money.

HE almost is too old already ..hehe :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry Paul. :sifone:

Wil Ros
10-23-2009, 01:51 PM
SVL is the most affordable class and the best bang for the buck in racing . Boats last forever because they are built like tanks. Whether you have a 525 or vortec, the engine, given proper maintenance can last you 4 to 5 years without needing to break a seal.
As someone said before, ask questions and you will have a blast in the class.

Wil

Ratickle
10-23-2009, 01:53 PM
SVL is the most affordable class and the best bang for the buck in racing . Boats last forever because they are built like tanks. Whether you have a 525 or vortec, the engine, given proper maintenance can last you 4 to 5 years without needing to break a seal.

Wil

Wecome to Serious Offshore. Nice first post.

Ratickle
10-23-2009, 01:54 PM
better buy one before you get to old.

HE almost is too old already ..hehe :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:boxing_smiley:...:boxing_smiley:...:boxing_smiley:

SVL66
10-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Wecome to Serious Offshore. Nice first post.

Bout freaking time.....Now get your junk bucket out on the water.

Wil Ros
10-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Bruceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,

After the anaconda gets done with our beast, it will be all down hill from there.

Schleussberg is toast!

Wil

SVL66
10-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Do you have a contact # for this boat?

sent you an email with phone numbers

Dunbar 104
10-23-2009, 03:25 PM

After the anaconda gets done with our beast, it will be all down hill from there.

Schleussberg is toast!

Wil

Don't get Randy started. Remember the Pirate incident.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-23-2009, 03:27 PM
The Anaconda has his name on two boats..

Which one will it be???

Wil Ros
10-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Mark,

I remember but I think Travis now knows the truth about mad dog, which is, he really is a puppy.

The truth is that the anaconda will race with Brucee most of the races, but I hope to do Sarasota.

Wil

imco offshore
10-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Wil

will i kike that "A BLAST IN THE CLASS"... damn buddy your a poet:seeya:

imco offshore
10-23-2009, 07:53 PM

Schleussberg is toast!

Wil

i hate saying this Will , but you better aim a lot higher than schluessss burg for your return,,,lolol

Ratickle
10-23-2009, 11:20 PM
i hate saying this Will , but you better aim a lot higher than schluessss burg for your return,,,lolol

And let's see.?????? Who is the Top Dog this year????? Hmmmmmm??????

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Mad Dog did throttle the winning boat in Sarasota.

imco offshore
10-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Mad Dog did throttle the winning boat in Sarasota.

yes it was a very nice jesture of bruce,, to let him sit in a winning boat again,:26:

Maritime_eng
10-25-2009, 09:49 PM
First I just want to thank everyone who has emailed or called me over the last week. I have learned soon much about the different organizations, different classes and the people involved. I have learned that the SVL group is the closest group of competitors and the craziest people on the course are the P5 racers.
We are still trying to figure out which class we are going to try in run in next year. We are going to key west to learn as much as we can before jumping in.

I had just one last question. I have heard from many people that things are changing for next year, so with that said, when do the 2010 schedules come out for each organization? The location of the races will have a big factor for us and where we plan on racing.

Thanks again for all your help!
Don

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Hopefully the schedules will be out soon after Key West.

Ratickle
10-26-2009, 08:24 AM
the SVL group is the closest group of competitors

I agree :sifone:

the craziest people on the course are the P5 racers.

Why do you say that?:lurk5:

Maritime_eng
10-26-2009, 08:37 AM
I agree :sifone:

Why do you say that?:lurk5:

Why? Becasue I talked to at least ten different racers from SVL, SS, SC, SV and P1/P2 and everyone said they same thing. The most fun races to watch are the P5 guys becasue they are out there in an open canpoy boat, in smaller boats running in big water and running as hard as they can.

Ratickle
10-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Why? Becasue I talked to at least ten different racers from SVL, SS, SC, SV and P1/P2 and everyone said they same thing. The most fun races to watch are the P5 guys becasue they are out there in an open canpoy boat, in smaller boats running in big water and running as hard as they can.

I think the P5 OPA guys are great. And the most competitive racers. But, I raced it only twice. In a Canopy boat at that.

The craziest I think.... SV Opa guys. In the last two years, they have had more spinouts, barrel rolls, and "almosts" than any other group I think....

I can't imagine what that class would be like with 8 or 10 boats in it......

Fun to watch already, that's for sure....:sifone:

imco offshore
10-26-2009, 09:13 AM

maritime, if you ever want to drive in an svl, let me know! and maybe we can get a few boats together in sarasota i could bring an svl for you to drive,,,and maybe dd could bring his p-5 and maybe mr beckley could bring his ss outboard and then that might help you make your choice, just a thought,

DAREDEVIL
10-26-2009, 09:18 AM
maritime, if you ever want to drive in an svl, let me know! and maybe we can get a few boats together in sarasota i could bring an svl for you to drive,,,and maybe dd could bring his p-5 and maybe mr beckley could bring his ss outboard and then that might help you make your choice, just a thought,

Its a P4 ,,,but no problem.......then we just may wip your @$$ in my boat .LOL:rofl:

Maritime_eng
10-26-2009, 09:21 AM

Thank you for the offer and I would love to take you up on that some time. We are really looking to get into a canopied boat for safety. Are any of the SVL boats going to Key West?

Yes I am still up in the air right now on what to do. If more SVL races were in the southern part of the US I think I would go that way. But as I look at the 2009 schedule for OSS I would only be able to make two maybe three of the races due to may work schedule. In an ideal world I would like to be able to race where I would only have to drive 10 to 12 hours for each race......

DAREDEVIL
10-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Thank you for the offer and I would love to take you up on that some time. We are really looking to get into a canopied boat for safety. Are any of the SVL boats going to Key West?

Yes I am still up in the air right now on what to do. If more SVL races were in the southern part of the US I think I would go that way. But as I look at the 2009 schedule for OSS I would only be able to make two maybe three of the races due to may work schedule. In an ideal world I would like to be able to race where I would only have to drive 10 to 12 hours for each race......

SBI has SVL,,,they only need to show up !?!
But open boats are safe too,,,,atleast u don't get hit by a windshield or drown. ( spelling may be wrong ) LOL

PS ,,i think 2 SVL's are going to be in KW ,,maybe more ??? But i know of 2 !

Ratickle
10-26-2009, 09:29 AM
I've talked with a lot of racers and ex-racers. If you and your wife are both gonna be in the boat racing, a canopy boat is all I've ever been recommended. They are just safer than a non-canopy at the exact same speeds.

I'm somewhat surprised you are not considering an outboard cat more than SVL by looking at your avatar and reading about your diesel outboards developement.....

Maritime_eng
10-26-2009, 10:19 AM
I've talked with a lot of racers and ex-racers. If you and your wife are both gonna be in the boat racing, a canopy boat is all I've ever been recommended. They are just safer than a non-canopy at the exact same speeds.

I'm somewhat surprised you are not considering an outboard cat more than SVL by looking at your avatar and reading about your diesel outboards developement.....

Yes my Father or My wife will be in the boat depending on schedules so the only way I would do this is with a canopied boat.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Cat outboard class is a great class and I would love to run with them but I just don't think that I will have time/money to be able to be competitive. But I am still looking into it.....

And as much as I would love to run our diesel outboards they are more geared for the comercial and military applications. And the racing for me is going to be away to get away from work for a weekend to have some fun.

imco offshore
10-26-2009, 10:20 AM
i would say that sbi has a bigger part of their schedule is the south east,, and opa is mostley in the north east and oss does a little more traveling,, but i would wait untill all org,s put out an offical schedule after the worlds, i think we all will see a mix up of sites in all org,s, this year,,,,,and maybe some new announcements might come out that will influance your racing.,,

Maritime_eng
10-26-2009, 10:22 AM
i would say that sbi has a bigger part of their schedule is the south east,, and opa is mostley in the north east and oss does a little more traveling,, but i would wait untill all org,s put out an offical schedule after the worlds, i think we all will see a mix up of sites in all org,s, this year,,,,,and maybe some new announcements might come out that will influance your racing.,,

That is good to hear. Where are you based out of?

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-26-2009, 10:44 AM
SBI
1323 20th Terrace, Key West, Fl. 33040

Maritime_eng
10-26-2009, 11:02 AM
SBI
1323 20th Terrace, Key West, Fl. 33040

I'm sorry I was trying to say where is the Imco SVL team based out of? I need to work on that....

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-26-2009, 11:03 AM
George IMCO lives about an hour north of Tampa.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Don, proximity may be important but, I would suggest it should only be a part of your consideration.

Competition between boats in your class is an important point for some.

Traveling to new places is important to me as an other example.

Everybody sees it different. It is all good.

imco offshore
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
That is good to hear. Where are you based out of?

i,m out of ocala, moved from sarasota about 9 yrs ago.

SVL66
11-07-2009, 02:31 PM
interesting find

http://www.bubbleworld.com/eq/eq_cockpit.html

Phantom1
11-07-2009, 10:52 PM
interesting find

http://www.bubbleworld.com/eq/eq_cockpit.html

How did you run across that Bruce? That was cutting edge technology when we had it done in Sarasota in 1999. We had it on our team website and the Phantom website for awhile way back when.