PDA

View Full Version : What happened to all the pro-stock boats

Dunbar 104
10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Just wondering I have not seen a used one for along time. Where there ever that many?

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Are you looking to buy???? (Gotta start good rumors whenever possible):sifone:

Dunbar 104
10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
No not today I was looking for one before I bought our SVL. Just as a play boat. I like outboards. Never know might trade for the right one.

Ryan Beckley
10-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Most all of them have been cut up into pleasure boats....

Dunbar 104
10-13-2009, 11:15 AM
I thought most were pretty rough anyway. converted to I/o also?

Ryan Beckley
10-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't know how may were converted to IO, it used to be pretty cool to see 10-15 triple OBs heading out, there was always alot of blown up stuff after those races....

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 12:16 PM
That was a popular class a long time ago. these are '87

skaterdave
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
hea mobile or ryan, abck in the day did the race course come back in the harbor like it does today.

just wondering since it looks like in mobile's pics that the starting line-up is wide enough and takes up the whole harbor?

and did they run cats with vees ?

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 01:32 PM
It did come back in. You are right there were so many boats it took the whole harbor. There were 5 or 7 starts to boot.

They were like 20 some odd mile laps in '87 much longer the years before

2TR
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I Have the old Hooters Triple if that counts..

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
This was the course that year and a couple starts.

smokeybandit
10-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Cats, vees, tritons, whatever. We all ran together. And they weren't all outboards. In fact, I seem to recall the class of the field in 1985 was a red boat. Can't recall the name.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
A couple more

It was so different 20 years ago.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Cats, vees, tritons, whatever. We all ran together. And they weren't all outboards. In fact, I seem to recall the class of the field in 1985 was a red boat. Can't recall the name.

Rob your boat is in the middle of the top pic in post in post 13

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Is this a test.....:sifone: :rofl: :sifone:

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Here you go......:sifone:

Triple 250 Mercs.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1987-SEA-HAWK-MARINE-31%27-93685183

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Pro Stock was Triple 2.4 and later maybe 2.5 but never, 3.0's

Besides that on it best day would run as well as what he has. My guess is Mark was thinking of a cat anyway.

Sean Stinson
10-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Oh boy here we go.....hey let me liven it up some ....can anyone find the Apache Boys????

Pat D
10-13-2009, 03:22 PM
That was a popular class a long time ago. these are '87

Wow.....sorry to butt in here but these pictures took me back to my first boat race ever.
We were transferred from Mass. to the Keys, my husband had to go to KW on race day , I went along and sat at the Pier House to wait. When Popeye's (I'm pretty sure) boat and helicopter came by..........I was hooked and I couldn't leave. The rest is crazy history.
PD

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Pat, Those were taken from the Pier House second floor bar.. I pushed our guys off in the race boat and ran to save a spot on the rail.

I first went in '85 did 4 years in a row and like you was hooked. '85 changed my life.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Mark I guess I could answer your question. Pro stock or Production was stock triple outboards and twin stock I/O's.

In todays terms it would most closely resemble Cat light.

Pat D
10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Pat, Those were taken from the Pier House second floor bar..

I was downstairs, east side of the restaurant and couldn't see them coming, and when the NOISE and boats went by right in front of me I froze..............
and you were right above me.......who knew

little did I know that would be the last time I could WATCH A RACE
(one more thing to blame JC for...:))

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Pro Stock was Triple 2.4 and later maybe 2.5 but never, 3.0's

Besides that on it best day would run as well as what he has. My guess is Mark was thinking of a cat anyway.

Double R just sold a 32 Skater with trips for $50,000......I wanted it.....:sifone:

smokeybandit
10-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Pat, Those were taken from the Pier House second floor bar.. I pushed our guys off in the race boat and ran to save a spot on the rail.

I first went in '85 did 4 years in a row and like you was hooked. '85 changed my life.

89 or 90 I was there as a guest of Yoshiro Kitami of Super Hawaii. We were hanging on his yacht for a while then we went upstairs at the Pier House. My beer was sitting on the rail and I accidentally knocked it off and it landed right on some guys head as he looked up. I hope that was nobody on here, and if it was, I really am sorry.

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
89 or 90 I was there as a guest of Yoshiro Kitami of Super Hawaii. We were hanging on his yacht for a while then we went upstairs at the Pier House. My beer was sitting on the rail and I accidentally knocked it off and it landed right on some guys head as he looked up. I hope that was nobody on here, and if it was, I really am sorry.

Don't worry about it. That quart bottle finished him off.......:sifone:

skaterdave
10-13-2009, 05:58 PM
mobilemerc ever think of putting a book together with all your pics?

gotta luv the course layout. looks like they went thru the entire harbor to the north bell marker and back out the south end.

today's course looks like it would be inside markers 4 and 5 with room for the spectators fleet.

Dunbar 104
10-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Mark I guess I could answer your question. Pro stock or Production was stock triple outboards and twin stock I/O's.

In todays terms it would most closely resemble Cat light.

I thought pro-stock was just triple outboard cats. I remember a cut down 36 skater on the skater web site forsale a couple of years ago, and though it would make a fun pleasure boat. I just wondered where they all where these days.

Also a good history lesson never hurts.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 06:55 PM
SmokeyBandit was a P boat I think they were basically stock 400hp 454's with SSM.

Robert what is the word?

Modified boats looked the same. They had a pair of trick buick head small blocks making near 600 hp or more. No number of outboards could match up with that.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 07:01 PM
mobilemerc ever think of putting a book together with all your pics?

gotta luv the course layout. looks like they went thru the entire harbor to the north bell marker and back out the south end.

today's course looks like it would be inside markers 4 and 5 with room for the spectators fleet.

They are just basic pix I took with disposable cameras. I continued to take them at nearly every event I attended. I even have pix from my F2 days while in the boat. Some in the boat idling out and others while milling.

I have also collected programs and rule books since '85. I have shared a lot of it here on line.

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 07:05 PM
When you're old, fall down, and can't get it up. You can make a book......:sifone:

Pat D
10-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Yoshiro Kitami of Super Hawaii.

correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the one that we were talking about in another thread when Aquamania came so close to the wall in Morehead.........Super Hawaii came so close to the OCEAN KEY HOUSE with his helicopter right on top of him, we could see into the choppers windows from the 3rd floor, race control.
Scared the people around the pool/bar area........
They got in trouble......................but did it again.......:)

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 10:05 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the one that we were talking about in another thread when Aquamania came so close to the wall in Morehead.........Super Hawaii came so close to the OCEAN KEY HOUSE with his helicopter right on top of him, we could see into the choppers windows from the 3rd floor, race control.
Scared the people around the pool/bar area........
They got in trouble......................but did it again.......:)

You can always drive like Ed and Dave.....:sifone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFOHnabnhqc

Clustergear
10-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Hey MOBILEMERCMAN we must have crossed paths many times????

Here's some picture of the Pro Stock boats we ran

Clustergear
10-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Couple more Pro Stocks

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Ricky I have pix and Hero cards of Boardwalk and Pennzoil. I will scan and share them. I am sure we have crossed pathes too. Most of my race pix are in my other computer. I know I have a pic of a V8 of the boat. It maybe of the boat you pictured above. Was the V8 'rude in KW in '87 ?

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 11:18 PM
I had to look ...and share. Not a good day. I noticed Nicky went right back to mercs.

One of your rivals

I think that year we ruptured our fuel tank. The boat came in with a bilge full of fuel. Well it looked full anyway. I ran it around to the ramp just the same.

Clustergear
10-14-2009, 07:36 AM
From the picture you posted we must have both sitting on the same sea wall at sub base
Yes it was 87. The Shadow burn at last race of season and we were going to worlds as national champion with no boat. Mealstrom gave us a boat to run. We spend a week at there factory finshing boat than off to worlds. No one know how much fuel those motor really used, first race we were out front and ran out of gas. Spend the whole night in a welding shop in Key West building bigger tanks. I have lots of pictures from back in the 80's & 90's but they are all on 35mm paper and have to be scanned.

Before and after pic

DAREDEVIL
10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Does anybody remember a guy named Rodney Presley ,,,racing for Mealstrom ??

He told me a bunch of cool storys from back in the day.LOL

smokeybandit
10-14-2009, 09:17 AM
SmokeyBandit was a P boat I think they were basically stock 400hp 454's with SSM.

Robert what is the word?

Modified boats looked the same. They had a pair of trick buick head small blocks making near 600 hp or more. No number of outboards could match up with that.

Jim,

Pretty much dead on, except for a few modifications by Kurt. No cheating, just tweaking.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Rick your pix are better than mine. I was on the Pier House balcony. Boats passed very close under it. As mentioned mine were with disposable cameras. I have boxes full that need to be scanned as when. I have scanned some of them. I will start a thread in HOBRA where we all can add them in one place.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Jim,

Pretty much dead on, except for a few modifications by Kurt. No cheating, just tweaking.

That was always been a great class. It evolved to Factory 3 and finally to Cat light.There are many cat lights out there. It would be great if they could all come together and race. Had 6 in Biloxi this year. I think that was the season high count at a race.

smokeybandit
10-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I need to thank everyone on here for keeping me smile over the past few weeks. My wife was diagnosed with very early stage breast cancer in August and she has been through 3 surgeries and just had her second round of chemo yesterday. Prognosis is great for no recurrence, but getting thorugh the upfront stuff really sucks.

Talking about racing always puts a smile on my face.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-14-2009, 10:06 AM
I need to thank everyone on here for keeping me smile over the past few weeks. My wife was diagnosed with very early stage breast cancer in August and she has been through 3 surgeries and just had her second round of chemo yesterday. Prognosis is great for no recurrence, but getting thorugh the upfront stuff really sucks.

Best of luck for her Robert

DAREDEVIL
10-14-2009, 10:07 AM

more power to you and your wife !!!!!!

Ratickle
10-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Glad you enjoy it. I sincerely hope the smile on your face rubs off on her....

Best of luck to you both.

Gladhe8er
11-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Just an anecdote or two to add about the Pro-stock class.

-My Dad was the first guy to run a cat in the class(1980)
-His 30 Shadow Cat "Black Duck" was faster with twin 2.4's vs. the other guys running triples
-in '82(I think), "Fox," a 30' Velocity showed up with the new Steve Stepp pad bottom. It had triple Johnsons on the back and was now the fastest boat in the class. The next race, my Dad showed up with a 3rd motor and everyone said "oh chit."
-Lots of different types of boats/motors ran in that class. "Special Edition" was a 30 Shadow cat with small blocks. "Rolling Thunder" was a 32 Cobra with I/O's. Then you had the Tritons show up around 82. They were faster with triple OB's vs. the Shadow but could not handle the rough water. When my Dad retired, I think he won 29 out of 41 races. A winning percentage that we believe still stands to this day.
-Black Duck was sold to Nicky Cutro in '85(who still services our family's 3 boats). He wrecked that thing many times(flipped, burned, stuffed) but still won more championships. We believe it is the winningest boat of all time.

Big Time
11-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Just an anecdote or two to add about the Pro-stock class.

-My Dad was the first guy to run a cat in the class(1980)
-His 30 Shadow Cat "Black Duck" was faster with twin 2.4's vs. the other guys running triples
-in '82(I think), "Fox," a 30' Velocity showed up with the new Steve Stepp pad bottom. It had triple Johnsons on the back and was now the fastest boat in the class. The next race, my Dad showed up with a 3rd motor and everyone said "oh chit."
-Lots of different types of boats/motors ran in that class. "Special Edition" was a 30 Shadow cat with small blocks. "Rolling Thunder" was a 32 Cobra with I/O's. Then you had the Tritons show up around 82. They were faster with triple OB's vs. the Shadow but could not handle the rough water. When my Dad retired, I think he won 29 out of 41 races. A winning percentage that we believe still stands to this day.
-Black Duck was sold to Nicky Cutro in '85(who still services our family's 3 boats). He wrecked that thing many times(flipped, burned, stuffed) but still won more championships. We believe it is the winningest boat of all time.

Couple of running pics....

After the the boat caught fire a new deck was put on...you can tell the difference between the two...