PDA

View Full Version : Cover vs shrinkwrap

Expensive Date
10-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Want to do some work on my boat in early spring so thinking of not shrinkwraping this year.Does anyone do that? Would buy a full cover.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Shrink wrap and have a zipper installed. Covers are a pita

NJgr8ful
10-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey Tim, I cover with full mooring, down past the rub rail. I know it's far less expensive than even half tank of fuel :rolleyes: ... But I just refuse to pay the $300 / yr to THROW AWAY a cover :mad: I paid about $1K for the cover, but have owned boat now for 5 winters :D

Even if I need to get into boat it has a draw string that helps make that very easy :cool:

Ratickle
10-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Before I had a big enough garage, I would build a homemade carport type deal. But, with how cheap the ones you put up with canvas cover are currently, I'd probably go that way. Plus, if you want to work on it in the winter, you just throw a propane salamander in there and go to work in about an hour.....

Ratickle
10-12-2009, 07:52 AM
10'Wx32'Lx10'H House Portable Garage

Retail Price: $649.99
Your Price: $615.00
Item Number: SZ103210H
Weight: 460 Lbs.

Offshoredrillin
10-12-2009, 08:08 AM
I was thinking the same thing, i have a full cover, but the winters and extreme cold can really mess with the fibers. I think I'm going to remove everything that needs to be worked on, then shrink wrap in late Nov early December and then remove first of March providing no snow then. that way I'm covered right during the worst 3 months.

Sean Stinson
10-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Full cover is the way to go if you are working on it.....What happened to the Marina deal?????

OldSchool
10-12-2009, 08:13 AM
I have never shrink wrapped. Full cover for me:)

Tom A.
10-12-2009, 08:24 AM
I use the full trailering cover and it works great. Just use the same Damp-Rid or similar dampness removal canisters you would if you shrink wrapped it.

Geronimo36
10-12-2009, 10:19 AM
I was thinking the same thing, i have a full cover, but the winters and extreme cold can really mess with the fibers. I think I'm going to remove everything that needs to be worked on, then shrink wrap in late Nov early December and then remove first of March providing no snow then. that way I'm covered right during the worst 3 months.
I use my full cover half of the time (fall/spring) and wrap over the winter. When I'm doing a lot of work I raise the engine hatch and build "fort apache". Also, one year my buddy had a car-port frame and I shrink wrapped over top of the carport and over the bow, all the way down to the ground and put two doors, one 10 ft door and one 4' door so he could get in it. It was basically a full garage. ;)

I've seen many a couple $G covers ruined by snow getting into the fibers, especially freezing rain. The canvas gets very brittle when it gets moisture, even with waterproofing and the snow needs to be brushed off the canvas, opening the door evne more to be ruined. If a shrink-wrap cover is high enough you won't need to sweep the snow off.

Also, I notice there's a lot more moisture in the boat when I use the cover vs. the wrap. Properly vented wrap will keep it drier from my experience.

The past 10 years I wrap about a dozen boats a season but when I was working at the marina I did about 100 a season. Tim, if you need shrink wrapping done I can take a ride down and do it for you. If you're interested give me a buzz.

Frank

Geronimo36
10-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Few more pictures... hatch was down this year but still 6' headroom inside.

95south
10-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I have always made winter canvas for the cig and the carver. Pay once, then get to use in for many years.
you just have to make sure that you use enough supports for the snow and ice loads

klaw
10-12-2009, 02:25 PM
www.uline.com

You can get 150 x 16 roll for about $150 the torch is a little high at 600 but once you are set up do yours and degray the cost with a few freinds its not very expensive

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-12-2009, 02:56 PM
I guess it is a personal preference. I agree with Geronimo. Shrink wrap will keep it drier. The full covers are nice and expensive. They will last 10 years or more but, they are not designed for snow and ice. If your boat is subject to snow laying on it and you don't wont to sweep it off every time Shrink wrap it. Shrink wrap is completely care free. All other alternatives require some level of care.

fund razor
10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I used to think that shrink wrap was completely carefree until I found an inside storage place for about the same price as shrink.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-12-2009, 03:24 PM
My biggest fear with winter covers in CATS. Those dam things find there way in everything. Thy even find there way in to some inside storage.. I purchased a critter repellent sound devise. I have seen what cats can do.. It can get real ugly. Never seen them get in a shrink wrapped boat.

Yes, indoor is great. I think Shrink wrap is next best thing. I can't count the hours I have spent in my life sweeping snow off covers...

TCEd
10-12-2009, 04:18 PM
The most important par tof shrink wrapping is to make sure the boat is completly dry and put a LOT of vents in the shrink wrap. They will provide some air flow and prevent the petri dish effect once it warms up in the spring.

When I lived outside Detroit three friends and I bought a torch, bunch of tape and a couple rolls of wrap and we self taught how to wrap. Can't do it on a windy day and don't drop the torch. Otherwise it's easy to learn and once the boat is ready to cover you can do four boats on a weekend.

you can find other uses for the wrap also. I stack all our outdoor furniture, BBQ, flowerpots etc and shrink the whole pile. Saves room in the garage.

Also if you're careful you can reuse the wrap a another year.
ed

Trim'd Up
10-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I have always had indoor storage, but Last year my buddy had a family of squirrels get under his cover for the winter. It was such a mess I would have set fire to it in the driveway if it was mine. Chewed up seats, carpet, subwoofer. I guess they get bored in the winter.

fund razor
10-12-2009, 05:18 PM
My biggest fear with winter covers in CATS. Those dam things find there way in everything. Thy even find there way in to some inside storage.. I purchased a critter repellent sound devise. I have seen what cats can do.. It can get real ugly. Never seen them get in a shrink wrapped boat.

Yes, indoor is great. I think Shrink wrap is next best thing. I can't count the hours I have spent in my life sweeping snow off covers...

The next door neighbor at my old house had cats in his center console once because he tarped instead of shrink. I am not sure, but I think that he paid a guy to come take the boat away. :ack2:

wananewboat
10-12-2009, 05:53 PM
If you have any snow load at all I would shrink wrap. If it's done correctly the snow will fall right off. I can't tell you how many boats would come into the marina with broken windshields from people trying to build their own tents or use the covers. My dad had his Sea Ray wraped for three years due to health problems, when I opened it up it was like the day we put it away. Put in plenty of vents and use drier sheets to keep the rodents out.

fund razor
10-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Drier sheets. Hmm. Can't hurt.

Do they really work??

wananewboat
10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
A friend of mine puts them in his camper as does many other people in his campground and no problems so far.

Indy
10-12-2009, 06:11 PM
When I'm doing a lot of work I raise the engine hatch and build "fort apache".

Part of the answer is your locale. Here in CT it's shrink-wrap for sure. The last year I had my PP I raised the engine hatch all the way and installed a zipper door in the shrink-wrap. That way I could work on my engines with no problems...even in the rain with plenty of room! Never any moisture problems or cover abuse with the s.w.. The freezing rain, wet snow, and other winter garbage would stretch my cover and generally abuse it the one year I used it.

Scarab KV
10-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Drier sheets. Hmm. Can't hurt.

Do they really work??

Drier sheets work good, otherwise moth balls and cedar wood chips.
I also store inside, so just have the cockpit cover on. Building is well ventilated with crushed clay floor over drain tile.

MarylandMark
10-12-2009, 06:46 PM
2007- full cover outside- PITA sweeping snow/ice off and will try to never have to do again.

2008- indoor but not heated

2009- looking for indoor storage now so I can work on my boat over the Winter

Spicy
10-12-2009, 07:02 PM
easy decision... shrink wrap!!!!

Tantra and I bought a roll a month ago to be ready to do BOTH of our 400SS, a few rags, tank or two of Propane, cut a few 2x4's and some misc items and the boat is tight for the winter for less then $125 a boat.. we help each other do each others boats and knock it out in a Saturday....

Add lunch that rolls into Happy Hour after your done a 30 pack at the marina and then cost get out of control!!!!

Perlmudder
10-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Drier sheets work good, otherwise moth balls and cedar wood chips.
I also store inside, so just have the cockpit cover on. Building is well ventilated with crushed clay floor over drain tile.

thats how we do it. store it in a barn with a cement floor. we push it in, undo a couple of the snaps on the cover and kiss her goodbye.

Expensive Date
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I live in the woods so the animial problem could be an issue wiil shrinkwrap.Frank will send you a PM later thanks for the offer.

duke252
10-12-2009, 09:21 PM
http://www.transhield-usa.com/

Basically its the best of both worlds. It is removable and reusable.

I just bought one for my 35 Fastech that was set up for a 35 ZR. Basically you can use a heat gun and get the fit of shrink wrap.

I put mine on and it fits like a glove, plan to hit it w/ the heat gun in a few wks and then pull it on and off a few time over the winter. Most guys get 3 or 4 seasons out of a cover.

DAREDEVIL
10-12-2009, 11:01 PM
A friend of mine puts them in his camper as does many other people in his campground and no problems so far.

Question ???? about this,,,u all know i am not very bright .LOL

WHAAAAATTTTT NOW ????

Drier sheets ,,,mmmhhh why ,,,where ,,which ones ???

HEEEEEEELLLLLLP:confused:

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I was wondering too. I have cats and squirrels to worry about. I bought a Yard Guard but, I am interested in this too.

Ratickle
10-12-2009, 11:22 PM
We use them in our pool furniture storage boxes after mice and red squirrels destroyed $500 bucks worth a few years ago. So far, knock on wood, no issues......

We just buy the cheapest store brand on sale and put them everywhere above, below, between etc all the cushions.

DAREDEVIL
10-12-2009, 11:29 PM
We use them in our pool furniture storage boxes after mice and red squirrels destroyed $500 bucks worth a few years ago. So far, knock on wood, no issues......

We just buy the cheapest store brand on sale and put them everywhere above, below, between etc all the cushions.

Damn somehow that tells me this chit is poisen,,,lol,,,mice and rats are not that stupid ,,,we humans are.:confused:

But if it works,,,,i love the smell of bounce .LOL

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Is it the smell you think? My wife gets the unscented. Should I get the regular ones?

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 07:17 AM
http://ratmousezapper.com/

Here's the one to get that works from every report I've ever read.

Supposedly Dryer sheets work for awhile, then they get used to the smell. Same with peppermint extract on cotton balls, moth balls, irish spring soap, etc.

Steel wool in entry points supposedly scratches them and they don't like that.

DAREDEVIL
10-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Ok,,here is a good old trick that worx.

Take some dog hair and tape them in the boat , under the hood of a car, or so .

They keep them away aswell.

MOBILEMERCMAN
10-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Are the drier sheets for mice? Do they have any effect on cats and squirrels?

DAREDEVIL
10-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Are the drier sheets for mice? Do they have any effect on cats and squirrels?

I just feed the squirrels infront of the house,,,,,,some even eat of my hand.
That way they don't need to go in the boat.
They know where the food is .LOL

"CATS",,mhhhh ...i think they like the cozy smell and even get atrackted to it.

Mice,,,i have black snakes in th eyard,,they take care of the mice.

Maybe u should get a rattler,,,takes care of all of them .LOL

Magic Medicine
10-13-2009, 12:59 PM
WOW I didn't realize that many members stored there boats outside. I feel lucky mine stays inside year round

Ratickle
10-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Maybe u should get a rattler,,,takes care of all of them .LOL

Sounds like a good plan to me......:03:

Foolproof......:sifone:

Trim'd Up
10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
WOW I didn't realize that many members stored there boats outside. I feel lucky mine stays inside year round

X2! My boat is old and I hate leaving it outside overnight. :ack2:

Geronimo36
10-13-2009, 01:20 PM
we're all not as fortunate.....

Switzer It
10-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Shrink wrap all the way. Clean and dry before wrapping. I even reuse my shrink wrap! Put it back on, re-tie under the haul, and fire up the roll-roofing torch. Looks like new. I've gotten 3 seasons from one cover.

Switzer It
10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
here's the wrapping from last season.

Switzer It
10-13-2009, 03:52 PM
and...

scottw
10-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Here is how I cover mine. I go in and work on it in the winter. 32 outside and sun shining. Work inside with a t-shirt on.

Switzer It
10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
lol. another Switzer.

Strip Poker 388
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
http://ratmousezapper.com/

Here's the one to get that works from every report I've ever read.

Supposedly Dryer sheets work for awhile, then they get used to the smell. Same with peppermint extract on cotton balls, moth balls, irish spring soap, etc.

Steel wool in entry points supposedly scratches them and they don't like that.

Thats not big enough for the cats:bigear:

Airpacker
11-03-2009, 09:11 AM
The whole trick to keeping the critters out is to shrink wrap it real good. Leave no entry points and there is no problem. My boat has never had any critter in it. Nor my last 3 boats either and where I live, theres critters a plenty.

After I wrap the boat, I go around an look for possible entry points. A little piec of wrap and some shrink tape and voila, critter proof.

I also leave a fan running in the boat pointing up all winter. The air flow stops inside rain, helps in the ventilation process and keeps the boat smelling fresh.

No, the steps that lead up to wrapping it are very important too IMHO.
The boat gets backed into my shop on a Friday night. Everything is opened up, the furnace gets cranked up to 80 and the fans go in and on and around. Saturday the frame goes on the boat, the boat gets emptied of all accessories and junk, cleaned, waxed and winterized. Sunday, the chemical dehydrator buckets go in, one in the cabin, one in the cockpit and one in the engine bay. I leave one 10 inch fan in the boat, run a small extension cord out over the transom for later plug in at home. Then it gets wrapped up clean, dry and tight for the winter. Several plastic vents that I glued screen material into to stop the fall insects and spiders from finding a home get installed along the length of the boat at the peak of the wrapped frame. The afore mentioned entry way seal ups and shes ready for bed.

Never had mold or mildew or critters EVER in the boat come spring time.
The boat still smells of fiberglass 9 seasons later.

VetteLT193
11-03-2009, 09:13 AM
I like a full cover that goes down the sides for normal use. I also prefer it to cover the whole transom and drives. I double cover mine if it won't be used for a bit... cockpit cover on first, then the full cover. I put damp rid in, and sometimes I even put a dehumidifier in the boat.

But... it doesn't snow here.

Geronimo36
11-03-2009, 09:52 AM
The whole trick to keeping the critters out is to shrink wrap it real good. Leave no entry points and there is no problem. My boat has never had any critter in it. Nor my last 3 boats either and where I live, theres critters a plenty.

After I wrap the boat, I go around an look for possible entry points. A little piec of wrap and some shrink tape and voila, critter proof.

I also leave a fan running in the boat pointing up all winter. The air flow stops inside rain, helps in the ventilation process and keeps the boat smelling fresh.

No, the steps that lead up to wrapping it are very important too IMHO.
The boat gets backed into my shop on a Friday night. Everything is opened up, the furnace gets cranked up to 80 and the fans go in and on and around. Saturday the frame goes on the boat, the boat gets emptied of all accessories and junk, cleaned, waxed and winterized. Sunday, the chemical dehydrator buckets go in, one in the cabin, one in the cockpit and one in the engine bay. I leave one 10 inch fan in the boat, run a small extension cord out over the transom for later plug in at home. Then it gets wrapped up clean, dry and tight for the winter. Several plastic vents that I glued screen material into to stop the fall insects and spiders from finding a home get installed along the length of the boat at the peak of the wrapped frame. The afore mentioned entry way seal ups and shes ready for bed.

Never had mold or mildew or critters EVER in the boat come spring time.
The boat still smells of fiberglass 9 seasons later.

Good work!:driving:

OldSchool
03-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Winter is done!!!! My full cover made it through unscathed. Now I need to get a new cockpit cover made. The one that I have has seen better days:ack2::willy_nilly:.

bajabob 718
03-20-2010, 10:03 PM
I am cheap. I use blue tarp two years then replace it . Now the baja go in the garage

Airpacker
03-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Winter is done!!!! My full cover made it through unscathed. Now I need to get a new cockpit cover made. The one that I have has seen better days:ack2::willy_nilly:.

nice condom, ah I mean cover Craig.

I like the style. My cat cover is done the same way. Wife called it a kitty condom the first time I put it on and it kinda stuck. People look at ya funny at the ramp when ya shout out "Honey,I'm almost done here, bring the condom so we can put it on" :)

I need a new cockpit cover done this year too. Old one doesn't fit over the blower hatch very well.

PS, shrinkwap is stayin on for the time being. It snowed last night AGAIN. Sunny and seventy on Friday, snow Saturday. :(

OldSchool
03-21-2010, 09:09 AM
It snowed last night AGAIN. :(

75 and sunny here for the last few days. Awesome weekend!!!!

cosmic12
03-21-2010, 09:32 AM

WOW! thats one big azz hunk-a- canvas. Must be fun folding it up and then carrie'n it away for summer storage, its gotta weigh a ton:eek
Great cover though:cheers2:

fund razor
03-21-2010, 09:39 AM
I think that the color is amazing. :)

Scarab KV
03-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Nice cover Craig. Who made that for you?

Perlmudder
03-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I think that the color is amazing. :)

did you have the shakes when you were taking that picture? :)

Airpacker
03-21-2010, 01:23 PM
did you have the shakes when you were taking that picture? :)

Glad you saw that too. Thought maybe the aftermath of the Double R party was messing with my vision :)

elvisali
03-21-2010, 02:36 PM
I do a full shrink wrapping on mine each year (live in NY). The one year I did leave the full cover on, the cover was never really the same afterwards. The snow didnt do to much damage to the canvas as far as material integrity, but the weight of the snow stretched the canvas out pretty good, one of the support poles also fell during a snow storm, and I was out there trying to shovel snow off the canvas to raise it back up.

As far as the critters, we have a decent racoon population were I keep the boat (one of my neighbors had a racoon family move in to their boat during the winter...wasnt pretty when they finally opened it up- smell could knock you out), so they get small battery operated radios, leave it on a talk radio station and put it inside the boat, within reach of easily grabbing it, and they swear it keeps the racoons and feral cats away.

Expensive Date
03-21-2010, 07:09 PM
With all the snow we had this year I am glad I shrink wraped.Leaving for the Keys next friday will come off when I get back.

Powerplay25
03-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I cover mine up with my full cover and go over that with a blue poly tarp. Just uncovered mine this past weekend. All is well.