PDA

View Full Version : HVAC guys, thermostat question

Tony
10-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Im trying to troubleshoot a Dayton DR series shop heater with a standard wall mounted thermostat.

Does the voltage feed come from the breaker box through the thermostat and on to the heater, or from the box to the heater, on to the t stat, then back to the heater?

Sunsation96
10-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Tony, I service two car washes local to me that use the Dayton heaters and the way those are set up is the power comes from the breaker box to the heater then down to the thermostat. Then your thermostat is just a switch waiting to connect the power when the demand from the thermostat has been made. But It would be easy to check see of there is four wires at the thermostat, two would be form the breaker and the other two would be ran up to the heater chances are the power comes from the heater I have attached a wire diagram for you so you see what I was thinking on the second option. I don't know what your issue with the heater is but the boards are famous on those Dayton's. Any questions please ask:)

Sunsation96
10-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Here is the second version more common look how many wires are in the stat

Tony
10-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks, the way this thing is setup right now it belongs in the cheap fixes thread. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it the right way.

Sunsation96
10-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks, the way this thing is setup right now it belongs in the cheap fixes thread. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it the right way.

There is really not a bad way to wire it. You would get the same results with boath ways because you are breaking the L1 & L2. You know tony you could depending on the unit location use a transformer 110v/24v and re wire it to a more common 24 vac system t-stat that would open you options for replacement stats in the future and programable stats. Let me know I can help!

Trim'd Up
10-09-2009, 09:31 PM
whatever you do, don't wire it like in the first diagram. It will make the heater catch on fire. :26: :Dhttp://seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43263&d=1255101722