PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Clearwater and the St. Pete Times !!!

Wardey
10-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Fantastic race site and Great coverage of the race and positive feedback. Hats off to Clearwater and looking forward to future races here.Thank you, Dave

P.S. Rich and Frank look good on the front page !!!

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/clearwater-beach-sees-offshore-powerboat-race-weekend-as-thundering-success/1041794

OldSchool
10-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Shouldn't we all be thanking "Coach" as well for putting together such a fantastic event????:)

Nice article and exposure for the race and town of Clearwater!!

cigdaze
10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Good write-up! I can't believe the SPT shed some positive light on it, and it wasn't sailboat or manatee related.

:)

OldSchool
10-07-2009, 08:48 AM
What is the date that the race will air on CBS? Can't wait for racing to be back on TV again!!!!!!!!

cigdaze
10-07-2009, 09:21 AM
TBD as far as I know...

jayboat
10-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Nice article, hope they do again there next year. It was my first time to Clearwater and I liked it a lot. :)

Here's an aerial view of the spectator fleet- impressive!
(I swiped the shot from AMF Racing page on facebook)

Ratickle
10-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Nice article, hope they do again there next year. It was my first time to Clearwater and I liked it a lot. :)

I think I'll count the boats to end all current speculation.....:sifone:

cigdaze
10-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Cool. I'm in there somewhere! :driving:

Coach
10-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Shouldn't we all be thanking "Coach" as well for putting together such a fantastic event????:)

This was a labor of inspiration and insight! Once I was introduced to Frank Chivas, he didn't even flinch, or hesitate... The ups and downs of who or when was all part of the how it got done!

What's next, will blow everyone away, and everyone will be apart of powerboat racing on Clearwater Beach...

Enjoy the video's:

http://www.clearwatersuperboat.com/video.html

Coach

MikeyFIN
10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
This was a labor of inspiration and insight! Once I was introduced to Frank Chivas, he didn't even flinch, or hesitate... The ups and downs of who or when was all part of the how it got done!

What's next, will blow everyone away, and everyone will be apart of powerboat racing on Clearwater Beach...

Coach

APART ???

Donīt you mean "a part of"... :sifone:
no hard feelings and lets take a jog on the beach someday, I did on saturday to get my fluids working...

fund razor
10-07-2009, 06:30 PM
APART ???

Donīt you mean "a part of"... :sifone:
no hard feelings and lets take a jog on the beach someday, I did on saturday to get my fluids working...

Cultural idiom point of order: inviting another man to "take a jog on a beach someday" is often perceived as really gay in the US. Especially when you are about to mention your fluids. :D

DAREDEVIL
10-07-2009, 11:15 PM
shouldn't we all be thanking "coach" as well for putting together such a fantastic event????:)

nice article and exposure for the race and town of clearwater!!

lol

MikeyFIN
10-08-2009, 07:16 AM

Problem is Nobody (like me) doesnīt know squat what the man did for the race?

MikeyFIN
10-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Cultural idiom point of order: inviting another man to "take a jog on a beach someday" is often perceived as really gay in the US. Especially when you are about to mention your fluids. :D

that was the purpose... put your sarcasm filter on :biggrinjester:
Especially after this.

"What's next, will blow everyone away,

Coach"

cigdaze
10-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Another great article by the SPT.

Super Boat race was a model for success in tough times

Times editorial
In Print: Thursday, October 8, 2009

Two lessons can be taken from the rip-roaring success of the first Clearwater Super Boat Offshore National Championship and Festival last weekend. 1. A deficit of parking on Clearwater Beach will not keep people away if there is an event that really interests and excites them. 2. Creative ideas from the business community can help beat back the impacts of a slow economy on Clearwater's tourism industry.

Bringing the Super Boat race to Clearwater Beach was the idea of uber-successful restaurateur Frank Chivas. He even put up his own money to lure it here and lined up other sponsors. Chivas saw a Super Boat International race in Key West — others are held in Sarasota and New York City — and said he knew "Clearwater was the perfect spot to do this."

Former Clearwater Mayor Brian Aungst was recruited to be the volunteer chairman of the race, and Chivas arranged for a portion of concession proceeds to go to the Clearwater Community Sailing Center, which has been struggling for funding.

The free three-day festival was well-attended every day, but huge crowds turned out Sunday, both on foot and on water, to watch as the high-powered boats, which can achieve speeds near 200 mph, raced along a loop course several hundred yards off the beach. About 20,000 people observed the race offshore from a line of anchored boats that was 3 miles long and several boats deep. Police said about 7,500 people stood on the beach, and others watched from the comfort of hotels and restaurants along the beachfront.

With not nearly enough parking spaces on the beach, organizers announced satellite lots in downtown Clearwater, and the Jolley Trolley and large buses transported people back and forth. Those who think satellite lots downtown cannot work to ease the beach parking crisis during peak times should take note. If parking alternatives are advertised, convenient and well understood, people will use them.

Chivas and Aungst were so happy with the response to the race that they hope to make it an annual affair. Chamber of Commerce officials hope so, too, calling the event a real boon during what is normally a slow time of year on Pinellas beaches.

By the time the race returns next October, Clearwater will have completed its downtown boat slip project, which will offer plenty of space for boating spectators to dock and visit downtown or other area attractions.

Chivas' idea paid lots of dividends for area businesses that depend on tourism and it did not require any use of scarce city tax dollars. The community could benefit from more of that kind of resourcefulness.
http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editorials/super-boat-race-was-a-model-for-success-in-tough-times/1042339

fund razor
10-08-2009, 04:48 PM
that was the purpose... put your sarcasm filter on :biggrinjester:

Americans have heard this excuse before:
:)

I meant to do that. Ha ha. :biggrinjester:

fund razor
10-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Oh crap.

End hijack.

Thanks Clearwater and the St. Pete times! We appreciate the support for the sport and will remember you when making plans for travel in the future. :)

MikeyFIN
10-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Well I can at least say Clearwater is etched in my mind as one of the places to go.

Wardey
10-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks Mikey !!! We are proud of our local area. We will get a Serious Party going next year. We need longer than 3 days though. Dave

kitten8
10-10-2009, 02:12 PM
I loved the race, great time!:26: