PDA

View Full Version : Special Olympics Convoy For Kids

Scarab KV
09-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Today I participated in the 5th annual Wisconsin Special Olympics Convoy For Kids. This was my first since going back on the road and I was extremely impressed by how well it was run. The thing that blew me away though, was the kids. This was to be their day, but as one driver put it...."They made us feel like Rock Stars" The turn out of people along the 53 mile route was awesome. Every where you looked, people were on roof tops, parked along frontage roads and standing on viaducts cheering on the trucks and their cause. It was nothing short of amazing. Alex Debogorski from "Ice Road Truckers" was a guest and also drove. Last years convoy involved 122 trucks and raised over $100,000 dollars. At the drivers meeting this morning, there were 138 pre-registered trucks and the late registration numbers weren't in yet. The total at the time of the meeting was at $80,000 and that didn't include the auction, raffle and late registrant figures yet. For example, the lead truck spot was bid up to $5,000. 2nd and 3rd spot were close to $2,000 each, etc. A table with Alex for lunch went for $180.

I will definitely be attending again next year. My only regret was due to a prior commitment, I had to Turn and Burn when we exited to the EAA grounds. I may have missed the Tailgate party, but left with an unforgettable experience.

I know this isn't boat related, but thought it worth sharing.

Here's a link to get a little more background on the event and a couple vids of past Convoys

http://www.specialolympicswisconsin.org/torch_convoy.asp

dlqkeuFY50E

h_bGk6zjES0&feature=channel

Scarab KV
09-26-2009, 04:59 PM
All though it was overcast and rained the night before, most of the trucks were able to duck and dodge the rain drops this morning and had dry roads to arrive on.

Scarab KV
09-26-2009, 05:04 PM
The real stars of the day. A bus load of the athletes traveled down to the starting point for a Meet and Greet with the drivers and then traveled with the convoy for their return trip.

Alex and myself. His one liners on the show are not scripted. This guy is hilarious

Scarab KV
09-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Ready to roll

Scarab KV
09-26-2009, 05:07 PM
The turnout for the ride up was amazing.

Scarab KV
09-26-2009, 05:10 PM
The reception the Kids gave us on arrival was outstanding.

Bobcat
09-26-2009, 06:41 PM
very cool Wayne.

RPM
09-26-2009, 09:06 PM
very cool wayne.

+1

MacGyver
09-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Hey Wayne, Nice job. I was able to see most of the convoy. I was working and kept looking outside to see when it started.

MacGyver
09-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Quad Graphics had some nice rigs in the event.

Scarab KV
09-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Quad Graphics had some nice rigs in the event.

Their Pete with the condo is sick.
Where were you work'n at?

MacGyver
09-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Their Pete with the condo is sick.
Where were you work'n at?

The new Osborn & Son Trucking building, just northwest of the 41/OO intersection in Fondy. The one with the big Keller job trailer.

MacGyver
09-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Ever see the Graebel Van Lines tractor that is almost as long as the trailer? That thing was so long it had another set of wheels (that also turned) under the condo. And by condo, I really mean super-deluxe-probably-more-expensive-then-my-house condo.

Found a (bad) online pic:

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/paul_knowles/dec29/graebel_van_lines_kw_t600_sml.jpg

Scarab KV
09-28-2009, 01:12 AM
The new Osborn & Son Trucking building, just northwest of the 41/OO intersection in Fondy. The one with the big Keller job trailer.

So he's put'n that up by Dennis's warehouse. Now there's a guy that should've had a couple of his big rides in the convoy. But then again...if it's not all about him, he's not intrested:(

Ms PatriYacht
09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Wayne what a great event, I wish I could have seen the convoy. They shure raised a lot of money. I wish they would do this in MI, my neigbor owns a few Peterbuilt dealrship's, I will have to see if he has heard of this.

MacGyver
09-28-2009, 06:36 PM
So he's put'n that up by Dennis's warehouse. Now there's a guy that should've had a couple of his big rides in the convoy. But then again...if it's not all about him, he's not intrested:(

He does have some purrrdy rigs.

Perlmudder
09-28-2009, 06:48 PM
cool! =)

Scarab KV
09-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Final numbers are in.
137 trucks raised over $100,000

Not too shabby for a one day event:)

There's over 550 pics from the event in the link in the first post

catastrophe
09-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Final numbers are in.
137 trucks raised over $100,000

Not too shabby for a one day event:)

There's over 550 pics from the event in the link in the first post

Not too shabby for a multi day event !!!!

Congratulations...Proud to be a trucker.

Ratickle
09-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Nice Wayne, real nice.......

Give the Ho's a heads up next year in advance bud. Maybe we can help in some way.

So, you gonna be an ice trucker on a show???????:sifone:

Scarab KV
10-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Nice Wayne, real nice.......

Give the Ho's a heads up next year in advance bud. Maybe we can help in some way.

This year was short notice for me, but already on for next year.

HiZ
10-02-2009, 01:04 AM
That is great!
I want to ride along one time....................

Scarab KV
10-02-2009, 09:57 AM
:driving:

So, you gonna be an ice trucker on a show???????:sifone:

Actually, that was brought up in conversation. Tim K expressed his intrest in going up there along with mine. Peterbilt sponsered Alex's appearance and my truck's entry, so we had an in from the start.
I guess when you own a large fleet of Pete's, certain doors open up for you.:sifone:

ChiefApache
10-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I just saw this.

Wayne, this gave me goosebumps reading this!!! What a great thing for truckers to do, even better what this convoy brings in for donations!

Thank you for sharing your great pics.

Scarab KV
10-02-2009, 08:38 PM
I just saw this.

Wayne, this gave me goosebumps reading this!!! What a great thing for truckers to do, even better what this convoy brings in for donations!

Thank you for sharing your great pics.

Thanks Barb. I still get a lump in my throat half way through the vid.:)

Scarab KV
09-10-2010, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=Scarab KV;326429]Today I participated in the 5th annual Wisconsin Special Olympics Convoy For Kids. This was my first since going back on the road and I was extremely impressed by how well it was run. The thing that blew me away though, was the kids. This was to be their day, but as one driver put it...."They made us feel like Rock Stars" The turn out of people along the 53 mile route was awesome. Every where you looked, people were on roof tops, parked along frontage roads and standing on viaducts cheering on the trucks and their cause. It was nothing short of amazing. Alex Debogorski from "Ice Road Truckers" was a guest and also drove. Last years convoy involved 122 trucks and raised over $100,000 dollars. At the drivers meeting this morning, there were 138 pre-registered trucks and the late registration numbers weren't in yet. The total at the time of the meeting was at $80,000 and that didn't include the auction, raffle and late registrant figures yet. For example, the lead truck spot was bid up to $5,000. 2nd and 3rd spot were close to $2,000 each, etc. A table with Alex for lunch went for $180.

I will definitely be attending again next year. My only regret was due to a prior commitment, I had to Turn and Burn when we exited to the EAA grounds. I may have missed the Tailgate party, but left with an unforgettable experience.

I know this isn't boat related, but thought it worth sharing.

Here's a link to get a little more background on the event and a couple vids of past Convoys

http://www.specialolympicswisconsin.org/torch_convoy.asp

ZkYOsreDC40