PDA

View Full Version : Does Obama Lie?

Tommy Gun
09-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Does Obama lie?

Charles Krauthammer

09/20/2009

You lie? No. Barack Obama doesn't lie. He's too subtle for that. He ... well, you judge.

Herewith three examples within a single speech — the now-famous Obama-Wilson "you lie" address to Congress on health care — of Obama's relationship with truth.

— "I will not sign (a plan)," he solemnly pledged, "if it adds one dime to the deficit, now or in the future. Period."

Wonderful. The president seems serious, veto-ready, determined to hold the line. Until, notes Harvard economist Greg Mankiw, you get to Obama's very next sentence: "And to prove that I'm serious, there will be a provision in this plan that requires us to come forward with more spending cuts if the savings we promised don't materialize."

This apparent strengthening of the pledge brilliantly and deceptively undermines it. What Obama suggests is that his plan will require mandatory spending cuts if the current rosy projections prove false. But there's absolutely nothing automatic about such cuts. Every Congress is sovereign.

Nothing enacted today will force a future Congress or a future president to make any cuts in any spending, mandatory or not.

Just look at the supposedly automatic Medicare cuts contained in the Sustainable Growth Rate formula enacted to constrain out-of-control Medicare spending. Every year since 2003, Congress has waived the cuts.

Mankiw puts the Obama bait-and-switch in plain language. "Translation: I promise to fix the problem. And if I do not fix the problem now, I will fix it later, or some future president will, after I am long gone. I promise he will. Absolutely, positively, I am committed to that future president fixing the problem. You can count on it. Would I lie to you?"

— And then there's the famous contretemps about health insurance for illegal immigrants. Obama said they would not be insured. Well, all four committee-passed bills in Congress allow illegal immigrants to take part in the proposed Health Insurance Exchange.

But more importantly, the problem is that laws are not self-enforcing.

If they were, we'd have no illegal immigrants because, as I understand it, it's illegal to enter the United States illegally. We have laws against burglary, too. But we also provide for cops and jails on the assumption that most burglars don't voluntarily turn themselves in.

When Republicans proposed requiring proof of citizenship, the Democrats twice voted that down in committee. Indeed, after Rep. Joe Wilson's "You lie!" shout-out, the Senate Finance Committee revisited the language of its bill to prevent illegal immigrants from getting any federal benefits. Why would the Finance Committee fix a nonexistent problem?

— Obama said he would largely solve the insoluble cost problem of Obamacare by eliminating "hundreds of billions of dollars in waste and fraud" from Medicare.

That's not a lie. That's not even deception. That's just an insult to our intelligence. Waste, fraud and abuse — Meg Greenfield once called this phrase "the dread big three" — as the all-purpose piggy bank for budget savings has been a joke since Jimmy Carter first used it in 1977.

Moreover, if half a trillion is waiting to be squeezed painlessly out of Medicare, why wait for health care reform? If, as Obama repeatedly insists, Medicare overspending is breaking the budget, why hasn't he gotten started on the painless billions in "waste and fraud" savings?

Obama doesn't lie. He merely elides, gliding from one dubious assertion to another. This has been the story throughout his whole health care crusade. Its original premise was that our current financial crisis was rooted in neglect of three things — energy, education and health care.

That transparent attempt to exploit Emanuel's Law — a crisis is a terrible thing to waste — failed for health care because no one is stupid enough to believe that the 2008 financial collapse was caused by a lack of universal health care.

So on to the next gambit: selling health care reform as a cure for the deficit. When that was exploded by the Congressional Budget Office's demonstration of staggering Obamacare deficits, Obama tried a new tack: selling his plan as revenue-neutral insurance reform — until the revenue neutrality is exposed as phony future cuts and chimerical waste and fraud.

Obama doesn't lie. He implies, he misdirects, he misleads — so fluidly and incessantly that he risks transmuting eloquence into mere slickness.

Slickness wasn't fatal to "Slick Willie" Clinton because he possessed a winning, near irresistible charm. Obama's persona is more cool, distant, imperial. The charming scoundrel can get away with endless deception; the righteous redeemer cannot.

MacGyver
09-21-2009, 07:44 PM
He's a politician. Enough said :leaving:

DollaBill
09-21-2009, 07:47 PM
I can't beleive anyone pays attention to the soap opera called politics. I refuse to watch 1 sec of a news broadcast dealing with govt. Now CNBC is reporting on politics. There goes the one news channel left

Expensive Date
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
he's a politician. Enough said :leaving:

+1

OldSchool
09-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Ummmmm.....YES!!!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

clayinaustin
09-22-2009, 01:27 AM
He's a politician. Enough said :leaving:

+2 Democrat or Republican. They all lie! :mad:

Survaivor
09-22-2009, 06:41 AM
We have in Spain a Good lier as president, so all politics are liers. Just want people money....

Ratickle
09-22-2009, 06:55 AM
+2 Democrat or Republican. They all lie! :mad:

I swear they teach politicians classes on how to swear to the camera with a straight face your truthfulness, while lying.....:boxing_smiley:

jayboat
09-22-2009, 07:14 AM
Krauthammer is a bleepin toolbox.

Ratickle
09-22-2009, 07:24 AM

Oh sure, now you're gonna make me go do research on him to see if he's legit.....:ack2:

fund razor
09-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Really? Let's see:

Charles Krauthammer was born on March 13, 1950 in New York City. He was raised in Montreal, Canada where he attended Herzliah High School and McGill University and obtained an honors degree in political science and economics in 1970. From 1970 to 1971, he was a Commonwealth Scholar in politics at Balliol College, Oxford. He later moved to the United States, where he attended Harvard Medical School. Suffering a paralyzing diving accident in his first year of medical school, he was hospitalized for a year, during which time he continued his medical studies. He graduated with his class, earning an M.D. from Harvard Medical School in 1975, and then began working as a psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital. In October 1984, he became board certified in psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.

From 1975–1978, Krauthammer was a Resident and then a Chief Resident in Psychiatry at the Massachusetts General Hospital. During this time he and a colleague identified a form of mania resulting from a concomitant medical illness, rather than a primary inherent disorder, which they named "secondary mania" and published a second important paper on the epidemiology of manic illness. The standard textbook for bipolar disease (Manic Depressive Illness by Goodwin and Jamison) contains twelve references to his work.

In 1978, Krauthammer quit medical practice to direct planning in psychiatric research for the Jimmy Carter administration, and began contributing to The New Republic magazine. During the presidential campaign of 1980, Krauthammer served as a speech writer to Vice President Walter Mondale.

In January 1981, Krauthammer began his journalistic career, joining The New Republic as a writer and editor. His New Republic writings won the 1984 "National Magazine Award for Essays and Criticism." In 1983, he began writing essays for Time magazine. In 1985, he began a weekly column for the Washington Post for which he won the 1987 Pulitzer Prize for commentary.

In 2006, the Financial Times named Krauthammer the most influential commentator in America, saying “Krauthammer has influenced US foreign policy for more than two decades. He coined and developed 'The Reagan Doctrine' in 1985 and he defined the US role as sole superpower in his essay, 'The Unipolar Moment', published shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Krauthammer’s 2004 speech 'Democratic Realism', which was delivered to the American Enterprise Institute when Krauthammer won the Irving Kristol Award, set out a framework for tackling the post 9/11 world, focusing on the promotion of democracy in the Middle East.”

In 2009, writes Politico, "Krauthammer has emerged in the Age of Obama as a central conservative voice, the kind of leader of the opposition that economist and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman represented for the left during the Bush years: a coherent, sophisticated and implacable critic of the new president. “ New York Times columnist David Brooks says that today "he's the most important conservative columnist.”

Apart from the Pulitzer Prize and the National Magazine Award for Essays and Criticism, Krauthammer has received innumerable awards, including the People for the American Way's First Amendment Award, the Champion/Tuck Award for Economic Understanding, the first annual ($250,000) Bradley Prize, and the Eric Breindel Award for Excellence in Opinion Journalism, an annual award given by the Eric Breindel Foundation.

Dr. Krauthammer has never looted during a hurricane, nor has he resorted to name calling as a means of political discourse.

fund razor
09-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Oh sure, now you're gonna make me go do research on him to see if he's legit.....:ack2:

Too late. :D

fund razor
09-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Krauthammer isn't conservative enough for me. I believe that he is mistaken in regard to the need for elevated taxes on gas to promote conservation.

Ted
09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Wow, apparently before 1980 I agreed with Jay :D

The truly funny thing is that the Dems brought this on themselves. They went for style over substance and picked a neophyte politician that has never actually faced a challenge to his career or his integrity. Now he has a large task set he is just not up to. I was hopeful when he started bringing in Clintonians, but they all have their own agendas it seems and O has no strength or capital to rein them in. Jimmy Carter must be happy his legacy will no longer be worst president ever....

Ratickle
09-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Jimmy Carter must be happy his legacy will no longer be worst president ever....

Gonna be a tough one to beat though.

And Jimmy's still making sure to stay in the limelight and remind everyone how much of an idiot he was, (and is).

Ratickle
09-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Krauthammer isn't conservative enough for me. I believe that he is mistaken in regard to the need for elevated taxes on gas to promote conservation.

It would work if there were an alternative. They waste all their time with no give and take to promote anything that needs improvement.

Offshoredrillin
09-22-2009, 08:58 AM
this pretty much sums it up...

Ratickle
09-22-2009, 08:59 AM
this pretty much sums it up...

Actually I don't, it would be really nice to have a decent administration who was not all politicians first and foremost.

Funny though

mosi
09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I rest my case........

Sea-Dated
09-22-2009, 09:31 AM
I rest my case........

Perfect!!!!:sifone:

clayinaustin
09-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I rest my case........

Now THAT'S funny right there! :26: