PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Ins. WTF? !! Beware.

PARADOX
09-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Just got a "nonrenewal" Notice from Progresive.
States;
>>> You will not recieve an offer to renew because:
The structural hull design or propulsion system of the 2008 Avanti 33 is not acceptable in our Boat program. Therefore, insurance coverage on this policy cannot continue.<<<
WTF? They been insuring me for years.
Anyone got a similar letter?
This is pretty f'ked up.
What's going on?
Any info? or attorneys around?
GGGGRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr
:cuss:

Seafordguy
09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
When I first got on with State Farm they cancelled me after a few weeks - ****ty thing was that the cancellation became effective at midnight on July 3rd...

Needless to say they don't have ANY of my insurance business now.

MrCig
09-21-2009, 06:40 PM
States;
The structural hull design or propulsion system of the 2008 Avanti 33 is not acceptable in our Boat program. Therefore, insurance coverage on this policy cannot continue.<<<
WTF? They been insuring me for years.
Anyone got a similar letter?
This is pretty f'ked up.
What's going on?
GGGGRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr

A friend of mine got the same leter on his Apache acouple weeks ago

Skullkrusher
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Why the hell would you be asking for an attorney?

Mentalpause
09-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Why the hell would you be asking for an attorney?

Same thing I was wondering. Obviously Progressive wants to get out of that type of risk.

t500hps
09-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Progressive.......I'd consider that a blessing. It's not like they would pay a claim if you had one anyway!!!! :cuss:

Brad
09-21-2009, 08:35 PM
An insurance carrier can non-renew your policy if they choose! I have been in the P&C business for over 24 years and it happens. Like someone else said sounds like they are getting out of the high performance market.

PARADOX
09-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Florida law has ristrictions and guidlines for insurance. Pretty strict.

They can cancel insurance for ceartain reasons but not for a BS excuse they just put in writing. Ergo.. attorney inquiry.
IE: "structual design" and "propulsion system" did not change with my boat. (see first post)
Now.. If I made modification to the hull or increased HP on the motors, they may have an excuse.

JupiterSunsation
09-21-2009, 08:52 PM
In S. FL they didn't like anything over 30 ft w/twins with over 750 total HP.......

Skullkrusher
09-22-2009, 08:33 AM

They can cancel insurance for ceartain reasons but not for a BS excuse they just put in writing. Ergo.. attorney inquiry.
IE: "structual design" and "propulsion system" did not change with my boat. (see first post)
Now.. If I made modification to the hull or increased HP on the motors, they may have an excuse.

Peter,
That is incorrect. If they determine you are a risk they don't want to take, they have that right. I'm not saying Progressive is fair, just that they have done nothing illegal.

Gladhe8er
09-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Wow, I have Progressive too. Probably going to change it up when my policy re-news in December though.

cigdaze
09-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Peter,
Progressive does not insure anything with over 500hp single, 1000hp twin, and nothing over 75mph. It's written in my policy. I don't think you qualify. I'm surprised they wrote your policy in the first place. I just renewed mine.

Slandrew
09-22-2009, 11:21 AM
They just pulled the same crap with me!:(I got to start shopping Geico's prices again!:leaving:

Sea-Dated
09-22-2009, 11:27 AM
They just pulled the same crap with me!:(I got to start shopping Geico's prices again!:leaving:

Check State Farm. Geico won't insure go fasts even though they have their name plastered all over some of the fastest boats in the world. :rolleyes:

clayinaustin
09-22-2009, 11:29 AM
I insure my 1990 Cigarette Bullet with Robert Luellen and Worldwide Marine (http://www.worldwidemarineins.com/index.htm). I am very happy with them.

I tried to use State Farm, but as soon as I said "Cigarette" they showed me the door! :eek:

http://www.worldwidemarineins.com/images/WWMLogoCard.jpg (http://www.worldwidemarineins.com/index.htm)

Robert Luellen – Marine Underwriter/Producer. Bob is a 15 year insurance veteran, and has been in the marine industry for over 20 years. Bob is the founder of Worldwide Marine Underwriters.

Ms PatriYacht
09-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Bob has a good reputation, but also check with Sy Goldberg he's a posting member here
and has been in the business a long time.

PARADOX
09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Peter,
Progressive does not insure anything with over 500hp single, 1000hp twin, and nothing over 75mph. It's written in my policy. I don't think you qualify. I'm surprised they wrote your policy in the first place. I just renewed mine.

You'r right, but the HP rating they look at is at the propshaft. Merc's 525 is less then 500 at the prop. I was all good untill two days ago.
I had a claim when my old Avanti flipped. After a lot of BS they paid a good part of the agreed amount. (I should have had it a lot higher, I got screwed, but who knew the fraking boat will flip on the highway)
If they give me a boot for prev. claim. etc. fine. I just hate the BS excuse they came up with. And actually earlier this spring my rate went down about $90+-. Go figure.

cigdaze
09-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Doesn't matter. 525 is what's stamped on it and that's all they see or hear.
And in all reality, from what I've seen it's more like 540hp.

"...propulsion system of the 2008 Avanti 33 is not acceptable in our Boat program..."
Hate to say it, but that's not really a BS excuse...it's simply outside of their guidelines. Seems to me that the mistake occurred when they mistakenly wrote the policy in the first place. Look at it as a blessing in disguise, because if something were to have happened, you'd be sht out of luck when the adjuster were to glance at that 525 number emblazoned on the engines.

:)

Brad
09-23-2009, 09:15 PM

You said they Non-renewed you in your first post. Big difference in cancelling and non-renewing. Non renewal means they are honoring your current term but do not want to offer you another.

Good luck finding a new carrier!

formulabill
09-23-2009, 11:07 PM
I just re newed my 35 Fountain with 500s with Progressive and had no problems. Go figure.

Ratickle
09-23-2009, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't give up so easy. I've been cancelled several times with State Farm, but every time, after meeting with the underwriter, been reinstated. They just have to know it is not a 525 hp motor. Here is a link to the specs. Email it to them and call them. It is a 500hp propshaft engine.

http://www.boattest.com/engines/engine-test.aspx?id=123

US1Fountain
09-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Just got a letter from Progressive today detailing my 'Gold' level membership in the new Loyalty Rewards program. Not sure what it means, other than they must be fine covering the Fountain and my new cruiser. :)

bulletbob
09-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Progressive insureed my 280 velocity with twin 300 hp outboards. Never had a problem. I sell the velocity and the agent says keep the policy open and call us when you get your new boat. One week later I purchase a 25 Talon Cat.Put my motors on the hull and call progresssive. They apologise after 10 min. of research and say we don't insure that type of boat. Russell Massey , a local insurer picked me up no problem.

HiZ
09-25-2009, 06:42 PM
States;

GGGGRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr

Good thing that you didn't have to do a claim!
You would have been Fook'D

35 Lightning
09-26-2009, 04:02 PM
They also look at driving record, credit bureau report, etc.

northernoffshore
09-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Doubled my car insurance for an accident on scooter 2 years ago they didn't even insure. Went to Geico and they were cheaper. It seems the longer you stay with them and the more discounts you have aquired, they look for a way to get rid of your policy.

Offshoredrillin
09-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Call stacey at wakezone, she saved me plenty, poker runs are included. even took my deductible back down to a reasonable one.

PARADOX
10-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Peter,

What 525's?? :03:

cigdaze
10-11-2009, 11:45 AM
That's funny as heck! :D

Bad Idea Baja
10-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Progressive.......I'd consider that a blessing. It's not like they would pay a claim if you had one anyway!!!! :cuss:

Exactly! Progressive is a joke for boat insurance.

Consider yourself luck to be rid of them.