PDA

View Full Version : step V hull vs conventional V landings

MarylandMark
09-07-2009, 03:58 PM
For the engineering types..

Does a stepped hull V briefly "trap" air in the steps to cushion re-entry where in a conventional V the air will just stream away?

Just wondering.

Ratickle
09-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I would doubt it because the steps are aeroting in the direction traveled, not trapping air. But, I bet it is measurable if it is or not.....

phragle
09-07-2009, 05:06 PM
well since air compresses and water does not, the air would compress to some extent momentarily. how momentarily depends on the hull design, i.e: the amount of opening where the step meets the hull side, also one would have to facter in the compression force vs.the atmospheric shear factor. Thaty being the point where air would more easliy shear and dissapaite into tiny bubbles in the water as opposed to compressing. the angle of entrapment would also come into effect. In any scenerio, the amount of air compressed would not be sufficient to cushion the boat. Also factoring in is that with the angle of the step and the foreward motion of the boat, the air really has no pocket to compress into. to compress into the notch of the step, the boat would actually have to be moving in a somewhat reverse direction.

Ratickle
09-07-2009, 05:08 PM
well since air compresses and water does not, the air would compress to some extent momentarily. how momentarily depends on the hull design, i.e: the amount of opening where the step meets the hull side, also one would have to facter in the compression force vs.the atmospheric shear factor. Thaty being the point where air would more easliy shear and dissapaite into tiny bubbles in the water as opposed to compressing. the angle of entrapment would also come into effect.

All that being said, your guess is?????????????????

MarylandMark
09-07-2009, 05:22 PM
So kind of like farting while taking a poop?

phragle
09-07-2009, 05:40 PM
All that being said, your guess is?????????????????

yes and no...some air is being trapped, but not enough to do anything......

like eating a couple cheese poofs... yes you ate something, but no, your not full....

Offshore Ginger
09-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey guys , in a V hull i prefer old school 24 degree deadrise just for the pure fact that i feel a stepped bottom in a V hull is a bit squirrely.............. just my 2 cent's:)

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-07-2009, 07:11 PM
If you keep the boat moving forward properly landing is not an issue.

Ratickle
09-07-2009, 07:57 PM
If you keep the boat moving forward properly landing is not an issue.

Okay, what do you mean there?

phragle
09-07-2009, 08:05 PM
meaning going foreward the V slices thru the water..cushioning a landing would be more of a straight verticle ker-plunk.

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Landings to me implies you first went went up . If you don't go up there is nothing to land from.:biggrinjester:

MOBILEMERCMAN
09-07-2009, 08:07 PM
meaning going foreward the V slices thru the water..cushioning a landing would be more of a straight verticle ker-plunk.

Yea,

phragle
09-07-2009, 08:12 PM
well since air compresses and water does not, the air would compress to some extent momentarily. how momentarily depends on the hull design, i.e: the amount of opening where the step meets the hull side, also one would have to facter in the compression force vs.the atmospheric shear factor. Thaty being the point where air would more easliy shear and dissapaite into tiny bubbles in the water as opposed to compressing. the angle of entrapment would also come into effect. In any scenerio, the amount of air compressed would not be sufficient to cushion the boat. Also factoring in is that with the angle of the step and the foreward motion of the boat, the air really has no pocket to compress into. to compress into the notch of the step, the boat would actually have to be moving in a somewhat reverse direction.

I'm feeling all fuzzy and knowledgeable after that, must bask in the glow.... Fore it doesn't happen very often...