PDA

View Full Version : The beauty of Canada's Georgian Bay in late summer

Bobthebuilder
09-03-2009, 11:34 AM
The weather yesterday was soooo beautiful I went up to "The Bay" and cruised out to the Western Islands about 20 miles offshore in the Donzi and took these pictures I will share. The water is almost too cold to swim in but it is - "refreshing" ! :)
Additional pics can be found in "Regional Boating Action" - "North Coast" by clicking the link below.
Enjoy.
Bob

http://seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?p=311182&posted=1#post311182

Bobthebuilder
09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Can anyone tell me what the rock man in pic 3 and pictured below is called? Canadians are disqualified from answering and so is Racegirl3 as she once correctly answered a skill testing question I posted. :)

WFORob
09-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi Bob,

Good to see you made it out on the water. Water was fantastic when we had that heat wave. Was out in the middle of the lake and jumped in for a swim. Hope to see you on the water.

09-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Wow, Beautiful setting, What is it like with the tide out?

I can't remember the technical name for the "Post-Clovis" rock stacks but I do know something about a Canadian version; :sifone:

09-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Can anyone tell me what the rock man in pic 3 and pictured below is called?

Been thinking....Is it a Cairn? :confused:

MattBMiller
09-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Beautiful area! I used to go up there every summer. Didn't happen to see a yellow and purple Sunsation up there did you? My old boat resides there now.

Bobthebuilder
09-03-2009, 02:28 PM

Not a cairn. Keep trying. I will send the winner a Team PREDATOR Tee and hat. Something like this but with logo's.

Bobthebuilder
09-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Beautiful area! I used to go up there every summer. Didn't happen to see a yellow and purple Sunsation up there did you? My old boat resides there now.

I'm sure I have seen that boat Matt but not this year. I will watch for it on Saturday when we get to do it all over again but a much higher speeds at Jim Earle Marine fun run.

Airpacker
09-03-2009, 03:25 PM

a cairn is a pile of rocks but common to the celts in Britain and used for navigation.

The little stone man is something. I would tell you but then Bob would have to cough up a shirt and hat :)

Airpacker
09-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Used to tie up the powerplay in the Westerns Bob. Possibly my favourite place on the bay.
Secure the bow and one stern corner to a cliff about 2 feet out. Big anchor off the other side. No need for a dock. Total privacy. Amazing sunsets.

Trim'd Up
09-03-2009, 03:41 PM
It's an Inusuk or Inuksuck right? The indians used to build them. I may e spelling wrong though. ;)

Bobthebuilder
09-03-2009, 03:57 PM
It's an Inusuk or Inuksuck right? The indians used to build them. I may e spelling wrong though. ;)

I'm sorry, but it must be spelled correctly !! LOL Foolin of coarse. Actually when I look close at it there are several ways to spell it including Inuksuk. Congratulations, you are our winner, Trim'd Up. :) PM me your address and size and I will send it out the first of next week. I'm leaving for the holiday weekend early tomorrow morning and will do when back.

InukshukFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inuksuit at the Foxe Peninsula (Baffin Island)An inuksuk (plural inuksuit) [1] (from the Inuktitut: ᐃᓄᒃᓱᒃ, plural ᐃᓄᒃᓱᐃᑦ; alternatively inukshuk in English[2] or inukhuk in Inuinnaqtun[3]) is a man-made stone landmark or cairn, used by the Inuit, Inupiat, Kalaallit, Yupik, and other peoples of the Arctic region of North America, from Alaska to Greenland. This region, above the Arctic Circle, is dominated by the tundra biome, containing areas with few natural landmarks.

The inuksuk may have been used for navigation, as a point of reference, a marker for hunting grounds, or as a food cache.[4] The Inupiat in northern Alaska used inuksuit to assist in the herding of caribou into contained areas for slaughter.[5] Inuksuit vary in shape and size, with deep roots in the Inuit culture.

Historically the most common type of inuksuit are a single stone positioned in an upright manner.[6] An inuksuk is often confused with an inunnguaq, a cairn representing a human figure. There is some debate as to whether the appearance of human or cross shaped cairns developed in the Inuit culture before the arrival of European missionaries and explorers.[6]

At Enukso Point on Baffin Island there are over 100 inuksuit and the area has been designated one of Canada's national historic sites.[7][8]

Bobthebuilder
09-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Nice try 2112 and I guess you are sorta partly right. LOL I was looking for Inukshuk but Wikipidia does referer to it as a cairn. PM me your address and I will at least send you a cool hat. You can choose from red , tan or black.
Bob

Contest over, everyone go back to work. :)

09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Nice try 2112 and I guess you are sorta partly right. LOL I was looking for Inukshuk but Wikipidia does referer to it as a cairn. PM me your address and I will at least send you a cool hat. You can choose from red , tan or black.
Bob

Contest over, everyone go back to work. :)

I win?? :willy_nilly: Yeah! I am going to get a lotto ticket next! :sifone:

WFORob
09-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Bob,

Seeing these pictures makes me think we should do another trip around the bay like last year. Be happy to crew again.

Bobthebuilder
09-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Bob,

Seeing these pictures makes me think we should do another trip around the bay like last year. Be happy to crew again.

Hi Rob.The Performance Boat Club of Canada was going to do a run up to Tobermory this summer but cancelled as the Sportmen's Inn was closed renovating their rooms. Hopefully next year we can make this happen. We will look for better weather, better economy, fuel will be like 50 cents !! Life will again be perfect. LOL

Trim'd Up
09-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Woo Hoo! I was right. Everybody always tells me I am full of worthless information. I guess it's not so worthless. ;)

chris sunsation
09-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Awesome area. It's hard to believe that it's on the Great Lakes

Bobthebuilder
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Woo Hoo! I was right. Everybody always tells me I am full of worthless information. I guess it's not so worthless. ;)

Got your PM, Chad. Just need 2112's address now. He may be out buying loto tickets tonight he is feeling so lucky. LOL

Bob

Bobcat
09-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Chads hat size is the same as a no.2 pencil

Bobthebuilder
09-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Chads hat size is the same as a no.2 pencil

Hey Bobcat. I will be down your way in Key West on the 15th on a secret mission which I will soon be able to talk about. That is if I can fit in what I'm wanting to do between hurricanes. Keep our fingers crossed that we will all be spared this year. So far so good. :)

Bob

Bobthebuilder
09-03-2009, 11:56 PM
I win?? :willy_nilly: Yeah! I am going to get a lotto ticket next! :sifone:

OK, we now have Michael's address. One hat being sent 3,500 miles !! LOL

catastrophe
09-04-2009, 12:49 AM
OK, we now have Michael's address. One hat being sent 3,500 miles !! LOL

Hey Bob, heres a plan. Promise to send the 2 free items...but dont, and you can stretch this thread to 2200 views.:sifone:

Nice pics of a gorgeous part of our country.

Bobthebuilder
09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey Bob, heres a plan. Promise to send the 2 free items...but dont, and you can stretch this thread to 2200 views.:sifone:

Nice pics of a gorgeous part of our country.

I knew there was a sick, dark side to you, Alec and now it comes out. :reddevil: Just think, I could end up in the Good, Bad & Ugly section for awhile and then you guys could ban me !! LOL Hmmm.
Have a great holiday weekend Alec and don't make your employees work on Labour Day, eh ? :)

Bob

Ratickle
09-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I knew there was a sick, dark side to you, Alec and now it comes out. :reddevil: Just think, I could end up in the Good, Bad & Ugly section for awhile and then you guys could ban me !! LOL Hmmm.
Have a great holiday weekend Alec and don't make your employees work on Labour Day, eh ? :)

Bob

Do they have labor day in Canada????? (I like the Labour). Is that French?????:sifone:

One of these days I'm coming up to the islands and heading out for some fun. Hope no Inucksuks come to life during a full moon or anything....

Bobcat
09-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey Bobcat. I will be down your way in Key West on the 15th on a secret mission which I will soon be able to talk about. That is if I can fit in what I'm wanting to do between hurricanes. Keep our fingers crossed that we will all be spared this year. So far so good. :)

Bob

sounds good

Bobthebuilder
09-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Do they have labor day in Canada????? (I like the Labour). Is that French?????:sifone:

One of these days I'm coming up to the islands and heading out for some fun. Hope no Inucksuks come to life during a full moon or anything....

Hey Paul. I hope you and others will come visit us next summer. We can show you both nice scenery and a good time.

Not sure why we spell labor - labour or color - colour or harbor - harbour. May be more an English thing than French?? And yes, we have Labo(u)r Day just like you guys cept NO one works that day. Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Bob

Ratickle
09-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Hey Paul. I hope you and others will come visit us next summer. We can show you both nice scenery and a good time.

Not sure why we spell labor - labour or color - colour or harbor - harbour. May be more an English thing than French?? And yes, we have Labo(u)r Day just like you guys cept NO one works that day. Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Bob

Unless they work for Alec?????? :sifone:

jeffbare
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
The pictures look very similer to Desolation Sound in Northern British Columbia.

jimmyjr
09-04-2009, 01:17 PM
beautiful area igrew up in penetang and really miss the area henrys fish is the best [or it seems the best after a long day on the water]and many fond memories abot frying pan bay.and the tomb

Birdog
09-04-2009, 01:42 PM
My family used to charter up in there when i was a kid..Gorgeous place..
COLD water even in august..Dad would throw us and a bar of soap in for baths...:sifone:

MattBMiller
09-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Dad would throw us and a bar of soap in for baths...:sifone:

used to do the same thing

Birdog
09-04-2009, 03:43 PM
used to do the same thing

"Ivory"....It floats..:sifone:....Great times up there

Trim'd Up
09-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey Bob, just keep the hat, and when you get down to the Keys smack the chit out of the other Bob for me. Hell, I'll send you a hat.;)

Bobcat
09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey Bob, just keep the hat, and when you get down to the Keys smack the chit out of the other Bob for me. Hell, I'll send you a hat.;)

I don't know where the anger comes from:sifone:

Bobthebuilder
09-04-2009, 08:35 PM

He, he. I was planning on buying him a drink. Us Bob's gotta stick together !!:)

BtB

RUNNINTHERIVER
09-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Georgian Bay and 1000 Islands are really nice to boat in.

In both places you better know where you are going though!