Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

No, the pic is from '87.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How many CUV's are there?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details
    CUV`s
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    How many CUV's are there?
    Heavy outlines indicate one boat.

10 off CUV inc Pichiotti built 38ft

6 off CUV built 41 ft

The original boats (Alitalia sponsored) were Pichiotti built,but politically CUV were involved,Marco has his finger on the button re the politics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CUV.pdf  

4. Collapse Details

Good job FF!! Here is probably one addition to your list, Nooxy 1983:

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by olli View Post
    Good job FF!! Here is probably one addition to your list, Nooxy 1983:

Well done Olli.You`ll have Marco on your tail.He has never referred that version to me!

6. Collapse Details

Speaking of BT, he once explained the roots of this "CUV" 25':
    Class I & II (By Name) / STUDIO SMANIA (1979).jpg

Is this the same boat?:
    Offshore I & II Pits / LA CORNACHIETTA (1984).jpg

7. Collapse Details

Is this the same boat?:
    Don`t know about a CUV 25,but Studio Smania was built by Ambrosini and designed by Gagliotta and was 25ft. 1 x mercruiser = 600hp

La Cornachietta was built by Gagliotta and designed by Gagliotta and was 28ft. 2 x Volvo = 600hp

Having said all that,they do look the same,so it makes you wonder about the reliability of entry data,and not for the first time.

BT is submerged somewhere in the med,but no doubt will surface in time for Xmas to reveal all.

8. Collapse Details

Is this the same boat?:
    Those are really neat pics !
    Parabellum FJ²B

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
    Don`t know about a CUV 25,but Studio Smania was built by Ambrosini and designed by Gagliotta and was 25ft. 1 x mercruiser = 600hp

La Cornachietta was built by Gagliotta and designed by Gagliotta and was 28ft. 2 x Volvo = 600hp

Having said all that,they do look the same,so it makes you wonder about the reliability of entry data,and not for the first time.

BT is submerged somewhere in the med,but no doubt will surface in time for Xmas to reveal all.
    Found BT's old post:
    "it is not a CUV but originally it was built by the SIAI-Ambrosini - a brand specialized in the constructions in light alloy of the aeronautic branch of SIAI-Marchetti were builders of the most famous Italian bombers of the second world war.
    The boat that I believe was a 28' designed by Gagliotta named Freccia D'Argento and compete in the first years of seventy with Nicola Chiatante and others drivers. Best info can be had perhaps in the precious file Race Results of Flyin Fish on Boatmad-Multimedia.
    Then that boat remained to receive dust for several years when the Commander Petroni discover it and then was modified radically by CUV- was totally stripped then leaving only the frames and receiving a new deck (with a typical CUV windscreen)sides and hull with three running strakes instead of original two.
    It was the first offshore boat for Alberto Smania in 1979 as La Smania and then for the others venetians brothers Vio as La Cornacchietta.
    It was a single engine(MerCruiser) boat with stern drive.
    Perhaps in the intents of the CUV there was the idea to give succession to this boat with others to compete in class 2 but there was not any new orders and that remained the only sample.
    The cats had taken the upper hand."

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Those are really neat pics !
    Flying Fish's website is beyond neat. But beware! You can spend a loooooot of time there.

10. Collapse Details

Found BT's old post:
    "it is not a CUV but originally it was built by the SIAI-Ambrosini - a brand specialized in the constructions in light alloy of the aeronautic branch of SIAI-Marchetti were builders of the most famous Italian bombers of the second world war.
    The boat that I believe was a 28' designed by Gagliotta named Freccia D'Argento and compete in the first years of seventy with Nicola Chiatante and others drivers. Best info can be had perhaps in the precious file Race Results of Flyin Fish on Boatmad-Multimedia.
    Then that boat remained to receive dust for several years when the Commander Petroni discover it and then was modified radically by CUV- was totally stripped then leaving only the frames and receiving a new deck (with a typical CUV windscreen)sides and hull with three running strakes instead of original two.
    It was the first offshore boat for Alberto Smania in 1979 as La Smania and then for the others venetians brothers Vio as La Cornacchietta.
    It was a single engine(MerCruiser) boat with stern drive.
    Perhaps in the intents of the CUV there was the idea to give succession to this boat with others to compete in class 2 but there was not any new orders and that remained the only sample.
    The cats had taken the upper hand."

Flying Fish's website is beyond neat. But beware! You can spend a loooooot of time there.

Trawling through the archives again,Olli,I came across a paragragh in the pre 1984 Round Britain report stating that `La Cornacchietta`was in fact ex-Studio Smania,but just to confuse things,it states it was 29ft,3 not 2 Volvos and built by Griggo,yet 1979 reports state it was a 25ft built by Ambrosini,but the designer in both cases was Gagliotta.

Freccia D`Argento I thought maybe was a sister to Volpe D`Argento (designed by Petroni),but I can`t prove it.No pic available,but I tend to trust Marco`s findings more so.

And they wonder why we go crackers trying to compile offshore history!

11. Collapse Details

Has the same race number as Cinzano. Is there a Della Valle connection?

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Has the same race number as Cinzano. Is there a Della Valle connection?
    Certainly is Ben.

If you follow the list in post 163,you can see della valle raced Rothmans Ego in 1983,a new boat,which in time became the present Cinzano.His other boat,the ex-Alitalia Due had been sold by 1983.So that boat is now approaching 30yrs old,and I bet if you added all the mileage up it would nigh on come to half way round the world.Tin Sheads never die,they just get cut up for scrap,eventually!

Attached is the original G.A. of the first CUV type,which was supposed to have the wrap around windscreen,until the Italians decided to dispense with it.
    I would think Hendricks crew would have wished for the original,as opposed to ending up like zombies after a race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ALITALIA UNO (1977).jpg  

13. Collapse Details

...Attached is the original G.A. of the first CUV type,which was supposed to have the wrap around windscreen,until the Italians decided to dispense with it...
    Does not look that bad but I prefer the way they built them especially those by Picchiotti.

Btw, I thought the 558 is Rossi's number

Another one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ego.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	75039

14. Collapse Details

Does not look that bad but I prefer the way they built them especially those by Picchiotti.

Btw, I thought the 558 is Rossi's number

Another one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ego.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	75039
    Della Valle always carried 558,even when he raced Buzzi monos in Venice-Monte Marathons.Rossi even had No18 when he was the main man in Zoom on the London - Monte in 1972.

BTW Richie Powers commented he was rather envious of the Unowot style of windshield,as opposed to his ride in the open cockpit of Dry Martini.

15. Collapse Details

If you follow the list in post 163,you can see della valle raced Rothmans Ego in 1983,a new boat,which in time became the present Cinzano.
    Thanks Graham. I looked at your list before I posted but missed the connection. So much for my detective work.

16. Collapse Details

Great history. Does anyone have picture of the engines on Della Valle 41 CUV? My friend does not believe you can fit 3 lambo's in a 41 foot boat. Also when did Della Valle retire looks like he did not race a full season in 1987?

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by chewiekw View Post
    Great history. Does anyone have picture of the engines on Della Valle 41 CUV? My friend does not believe you can fit 3 lambo's in a 41 foot boat. Also when did Della Valle retire looks like he did not race a full season in 1987?
    The attached pic can be difficult to establish 3 engines,but there are enough pipes to play a wedding march with coming out the arse end.

Pic taken at Cowes 1986.

Della Valle did a full season in 1987,but the wife told him to pack it in.Obviously he charmed his way out of it ,because he was back racing a Buzzi mono in the early 90`s Venice - Monte races.

At some stage his CUV 41 was used by Missoni, who conveniently stuck his CUV 41 on the rocks,and when you have several CUV`s to hand as Della Valle did,you lend one to a mate,as you do.I would need to delve into the archives to drag out the rock hitting caper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EBERHARD & Co (1986).jpg  

18. Collapse Details

The attached pic can be difficult to establish 3 engines,but there are enough pipes to play a wedding march with coming out the arse end.

Pic taken at Cowes 1986.

Della Valle did a full season in 1987,but the wife told him to pack it in.Obviously he charmed his way out of it ,because he was back racing a Buzzi mono in the early 90`s Venice - Monte races.

At some stage his CUV 41 was used by Missoni, who conveniently stuck his CUV 41 on the rocks,and when you have several CUV`s to hand as Della Valle did,you lend one to a mate,as you do.I would need to delve into the archives to drag out the rock hitting caper.
    Sorry,I posted the CUV 38 2 lambo job which also raced in 1986.Here is the 3 lambo job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 lambos.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

So each Lambo motor had 4 exhaust pipes coming out?
    Parabellum FJ²B

20. Collapse Details

Pic taken at Cowes 1986.

Flying fish I found the pic last night off your website powerboat archive.com. Quick question why are the exhaust pipes all curved on the back of the 38 instead of coming straight out?