Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Dude in '85 United Racing Engines was listed with Al Garbett in a 30 Shadow.
    You beat me to it. All black Shadow. Very fast and good in rough water. They had some great racing with Jesse James.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Never seen that one before. So basically a CUV type hull but built in the US? Who built it? I take it that it's in the UK now?
    It is flying a Jaguar Logo forward.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Dude in '85 United Racing Engines was listed with Al Garbett in a 30 Shadow.
    Thanks! The 28 I have now was covered with URE stickers back in '85 but I didn't think Garbett was driving (Although not really sure).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C-69.JPG  

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

4. Collapse Details
    38' CUV Trussardi etc.
    Here I am!
    With Flying Fish we have spent a lot of time in our 'darkened rooms'-me like Inspector Clouseau and FF like Doc. Watson- to analyze the various Shead-Picchiotti-CUVs and we have succeeded in arriving to some conclusions.
    The Alitalia Due became Dry Martini 2 next Martini Racing next Ego/Canale 5 next Ego/Rothmans(from Key West Worlds in 1981 with the modified windshield-Rombo/Marlboro style and new engines hatches.)next Blade Runner-Ouragan in 1983-84.
    The Alitalia Tre became Studio Smania Interni/Cigahotels Uno,and-after it burned- with a new concave windshield that became characteristic for the next 38's of CUV saga-next Rombo-Marlboro etc....up to 1991.
    Trussardi was the former second 38' for Della Valle built in 1983 as Ego/Rothmans that then became Cinzano Bianco for two years(1984-85) and next Trussardi next Dimensione Uomo and Biancaneve alls for Alessandro Zodo in 1986-87-88. Now is the winner of CTC 2009.
    There was another Trussardi for Popo Giovio in 1987 with two Procar Turbo engines but it's another story.
    Last edited by Black Tornado; 09-23-2009 at 06:13 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Black Tornado View Post
    Here I am!
    With Flying Fish we have spent a lot of time in our 'darkened rooms'-me like Inspector Clouseau and FF like Doc. Watson- to analyze the various Shead-Picchiotti-CUVs and we have succeeded in arriving to some conclusions.
    The Alitalia Due became Dry Martini 2 next Martini Racing next Ego/Canale 5 next Ego/Rothmans(from Key West Worlds in 1981 with the modified windshield-Rombo/Marlboro style and new engines hatches.)next Blade Runner-Ouragan in 1983-84.
    The Alitalia Tre became Studio Smania Interni/Cigahotels Uno,and-after it burned- with a new concave windshield that became characteristic for the next 38's of CUV saga-next Rombo-Marlboro etc....up to 1991.
    Trussardi was the former second 38' for Della Valle built in 1983 as Ego/Rothmans that then became Cinzano Bianco for two years(1984-85) and next Trussardi next Dimensione Uomo and Biancaneve alls for Alessandro Zodo in 1986-87-88. Now is the winner of CTC 2009.
    There was another Trussardi for Popo Giovio in 1987 with two Procar Turbo engines but it's another story.
    Thanks Marco! I ascribe my passion and knowlege regarding CUV the the discussions we had (along with Patrick) a couple of years ago. I know your heart belongs to the 36 Cigarette, but it's hard to to compare many other boats to the mightiness and history that the CUV's carry with them.

You'll have to tell them where Rombo is now...

And thank you and FF for all the photos!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enginesburned.jpg   smaniaburned.jpg   Smaniaburned1980.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Thanks Marco! I ascribe my passion and knowlege regarding CUV the the discussions we had (along with Patrick) a couple of years ago. I know your heart belongs to the 36 Cigarette, but it's hard to to compare many other boats to the mightiness and history that the CUV's carry with them.

You'll have to tell them where Rombo is now...

And thank you and FF for all the photos!!
    Sorry but also I would want to know where that CUVs is today. The photos that you have posted were taken by a friend of mine immediately gone off from after the boat had been hauled by the waters of the island Gorgona to Viareggio, around 30 nautical miles.
    The CUV of Smania and Diridoni was fighting nearby bow to bow with the Bertram 38' of Toleman and Cripps in the 1980 Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio final leg after a 170 miles lasting duel. While on calm waters the two boats left the isle of Gorgona from portside and they definitely aimed their bows to Viareggio with the Bertram leading for hundreds feet some flames have gotten up from the engines bay of the CUV.
    Fuel probably gone out of from an injector was rained on the red-hot Pattersons exhaust was burning. The crew plunged in sea attending that exploded the six tanks now almost empty but fully of gas of the avio gasoline.
    The crew was recovered and brought to Viareggio while the boat instead of exploding burnt the little gasoline been smothered by the automatic extenguishing plant present on board stopped also thanks to the structure in aluminum that didn't leave feeding too much to the fire.
    The boat completely emptied of all items was brought to the CUV for repairs.
    When it returned at the base of the Petroni's team where I had from little started to work the undersigned with the friend author of the photos were orders inside the boat to polish up the black smoke stuck in the hull.
    It was a nauseating job where me taken a poisoning because gasoline exhalation that was given to us to remove the haze layer.
    Last edited by Black Tornado; 09-23-2009 at 07:30 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Trussardi
    The Trussardi of P.Giovio is the one that was Ouragon according to our latest findings Marco.The other Trussardi (painted white No 96) is as you say in your post.

The Goldrush boat is nothing to do with CUV, but is a Don Shead design with construction as per the Alitalia boats which went on to be the model for the CUV boats.

Started life as Toleman Group (1981),then Goldrush (1982/83),then The Legend (1984/85),then Ricard (1987).

When it was Goldrush/The Legend it had 2 x Jaguars = 1500hp
    Built by Saltshaker who left off some vital longitudinal deck stringers under the cockpit,and the deck began to fold before it was modified back as it should have been.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TOLEMAN GROUP (1981) 2.jpg   THE LEGEND (1985).jpg   RICARD (1987).jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
    Built by Saltshaker who left off some vital longitudinal deck stringers under the cockpit,and the deck began to fold before it was modified back as it should have been.
    I remember that Steve and myself spent about a week in the front removing the rigging so repairs could be done after the Miami - Bimini race in 1981

9. Collapse Details
    Toleman Group repair
    Outrageous! What`s a cougar man doing on a Shead boat,picking up tips on how to not do alloy construction for the first alloy cougar cat.Nah! surely not.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Black Tornado View Post
    Sorry but also I would want to know where that CUVs is today.
    My bad, I thought that you'd told me she was sitting on the bottom of the Adriatic, but maybe that was one of the others?

This is great stuff! Thank you guys all for coming overhere and enriching the discussion with your experiences and knowlege.

I've grown very fond of the aestetics of the metal boats. They give off a purposefulness and sense of invincibility that the fiberglass boats don't have in my mind. Kind of like seeing the beauty in a sledgehammer...

11. Collapse Details

The Trussardi of P.Giovio is the one that was Ouragon according to our latest findings Marco.The other Trussardi (painted white No 96) is as you say in your post.

The Goldrush boat is nothing to do with CUV, but is a Don Shead design with construction as per the Alitalia boats which went on to be the model for the CUV boats.

Started life as Toleman Group (1981),then Goldrush (1982/83),then The Legend (1984/85),then Ricard (1987).

When it was Goldrush/The Legend it had 2 x Jaguars = 1500hp
    Thanks! All new to me and very intersting. Where is she now?

12. Collapse Details

Good Question.

13. Collapse Details

Outrageous! What`s a cougar man doing on a Shead boat,picking up tips on how to not do alloy construction for the first alloy cougar cat.Nah! surely not.
    Nah, the first alloy Cougars had been built by then

14. Collapse Details

My bad, I thought that you'd told me she was sitting on the bottom of the Adriatic, but maybe that was one of the others?

This is great stuff! Thank you guys all for coming overhere and enriching the discussion with your experiences and knowlege.

I've grown very fond of the aestetics of the metal boats. They give off a purposefulness and sense of invincibility that the fiberglass boats don't have in my mind. Kind of like seeing the beauty in a sledgehammer...
    You are right I knew that it was on the bottom of the Adriatic sea I think on the area of the Tremiti islands but then I have read somewhere that she had been raised.

15. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=FLYING FISH;324615]The Trussardi of P.Giovio is the one that was Ouragon according to our latest findings Marco.The other Trussardi (painted white No 96) is as you say in your post.

CUV kaos....
    No Graham,the Trussardi No 88 of Giovio it seems was a new 38' built in 1987-probably the last 38' CUV built.
    The Trussardi of Zodo became Dimensione Uomo No 96 again for Zodo.
    The two boats run the Italian 1987 season first race at Rapallo in April.

16. Collapse Details

How many 38 and 41 mono hulls? I seem to recall no more than a dozen, maybe less total (based on the spreadsheet you sent me). How many of each have been accounted for still in existence.

Seems like there were possibly five 41 footers? I can only think of Thuraya, Force One or maybe they had two (white and yellow)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails catania04-wetpits.jpg   italy06-race14.jpg   malta04-cuv-engine.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

most excellent thread
    Parabellum FJ²B

18. Collapse Details

And then, what's the story behind this one?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biancaneve88.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

And then, what's the story behind this one?!
    This is Biancaneve (White Snow) always the boat of Zodo-Trussardi 1986-Dimensione Uomo 1987 ex Della Valle first CUV 38.
    Last edited by Black Tornado; 09-24-2009 at 06:39 PM.

20. Collapse Details
    Damn cuv`s
    Although Marco and I have had a good go at tracing the history of these craft,there are still a few ones that have escaped the net.See attatchment.Same boat?

So far numbers logged as follows

38`s

Alitalia Uno (Picchiotti)
    Alitalia Due (Picchiotti)
    Alitalia Tre
    Martini Racing (Picchiotti Design)
    Ali Reza
    Rothmans Ego
    Trussardi
    Ego Lamborghini
    Muira
    Nooxy

41`s

Chesterfield Missoni
    Eberhard & Co
    Annabella
    Sun International
    Paul Picot
    Parfums Trussardi ? (As attachment)

Back to the darkroom with you Marco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CANTERI  DEL MED (2004) 2.jpg   JEANS UNLIMITED (1990) 2.jpg   PARFUMS TRUSSARDI (1988) 2.jpg