Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Salt water Vs Fresh Water damage??
    Ok Im from fresh water state and never plan on running in salt. My question would be How much does salt hurt a boat say I/os twins with all the good stuff. Now everyone that is in MI and fresh water totally turns their noise up at salt water boat saying that everything would be junk ext.... Im looking at buy a boat and have one in mind that a salt boat. But all the salt water guys could care less about running in salt.

I know the usual of rust and stuff but lets hear you options on salt water vs fresh water.

2. Collapse Details

You can have a salt water boat that has a caring owner and the salt damage will be minimal, Like if they take the boat out of the salt water and rinse every thing down and flush the motors regularly....OR You can get the Non Caring Owner who Lets it sit in the salt water and rarely pulls it and does a half Azzed motor flush job. You can usually tell by how well the boat is Kept/Maintained as to what kind of owner they are. and if you have a chance you can pull the thermostat housing and it'll tell some of the tale by looking into the water passages and seeing their condition. Not everyone will let you do that, but if they have something to hide it's probably a boat you don't want anyway.....

3. Collapse Details

wow thanks for the tip about the T-stat housing idea!!! thats perfect.

Keep it going.....

4. Collapse Details

I pretty much go with the fact that if I'm buying used, the mechanicals are time-bombs at best. Better to go into it with that attitude than be all broken up if it breaks down. And, If buying new, I expect some warranty issues that are also going to be a headache.
    That being said, I agree, a meticulous previous owner, you should have minimal problems.
    But, I don't care if it's fresh or salt, you will have some issues somewhere.
    It's a complex, yet simple machine.
    Look forward to see what you're looking at, I know you've been looking into some good choices.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I always say spend the money on a good survey, no exceptions. But, PM Ed and let's get his quick intake to see what to look for before making the offer subject to survey.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

I could be wrong but after talking to a few surveyors, They seem to find a lot more rot and soft transoms/stringers in fresh water boats than in the salt water ones.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    I pretty much go with the fact that if I'm buying used, the mechanicals are time-bombs at best. Better to go into it with that attitude than be all broken up if it breaks down. And, If buying new, I expect some warranty issues that are also going to be a headache.
    That being said, I agree, a meticulous previous owner, you should have minimal problems.
    But, I don't care if it's fresh or salt, you will have some issues somewhere.
    It's a complex, yet simple machine.
    Look forward to see what you're looking at, I know you've been looking into some good choices.
    its either going to be a single with brovo, or a twin with

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaross97 View Post
    its either going to be a single with brovo, or a twin with
    I'm guessing it's gonna be around 28' and have Green eyes...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    I'm guessing it's gonna be around 28' and have Green eyes...
    One has Green eyes. haha. trying to plan trip to see my few choices

10. Collapse Details

You wouldn't be going wrong with a Saber either - if that is the other on the menu - very nice boats, and for some reason, almost related.
    I hope you can get it worked out, and I wish you all the luck in the search.
    As long as you're shopping, I'd keep my eye out for an old Magnum too. Just another boat I've always been in love with that kinda fits the same "theme" as what I think you've expressed you're looking for.

11. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=wstultz;307902]I could be wrong but after talking to a few surveyors, They seem to find a lot more rot and soft transoms/stringers in fresh water boats than in the salt water ones.[/QU

There is no correlation between the type of water a boat is run in and transom/stringer rot. But, no question that salt water is a lot more corrosive environment. Depending upon how boat is maintained, this can negatively impact electrical, brightwork, and powertrain. Thin castings are usually areas of concern including water pumps, exhaust manifolds, and heads.

12. Collapse Details

Here is my rule of thumb regarding used boats:

Buy what you want to preserve... because they ain't making them anymore... and you will probably have to replace everything anyway.

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post

Buy what you want to preserve... because they ain't making them anymore... and you will probably have to replace everything anyway.
    So true.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post

Very profound thought.
    And very true for many of us.
    Not everyone wants the burden of restoration, but, I guess it all depends on how deep this is in your blood.
    It's a sickness that some of us wear proudly.

15. Collapse Details

Banned
    Salt water boats are more likeley to rot on the mechanical parts ( drives ,gimbals,engine and so on ) where fresh water boats more likeley rot on the wood and cores on the boat it self ( more expensive to fix) the reason of that is that fresh water carries more bacteria that eat the wood then salt water,,so on salt water boats it takes much longer for that to happen.
    If u have a salt water boat that is cared for then the only thing u would need to check is the gimbals and intake,exhaust,maybe the heads if they are aluminum.
    If its flushed reg.thenitshould not be a problem at all.
    I would rather go with a in good shape salt water boat then fresh water.

16. Collapse Details

well hell. so here is a pic of one im looking at owner dont know much about boating.

I see all kind of rust stains on the transom. would you think lake of clean up and flushing? and the drain plug hold is looking beat too. what do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yellow2.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Salt water boats are more likeley to rot on the mechanical parts ( drives ,gimbals,engine and so on ) where fresh water boats more likeley rot on the wood and cores on the boat it self ( more expensive to fix) the reason of that is that fresh water carries more bacteria that eat the wood then salt water,,so on salt water boats it takes much longer for that to happen.
    If u have a salt water boat that is cared for then the only thing u would need to check is the gimbals and intake,exhaust,maybe the heads if they are aluminum.
    If its flushed reg.thenitshould not be a problem at all.
    I would rather go with a in good shape salt water boat then fresh water.
    This is what i've heard as well. The bacteria in fresh water makes it more dangerous if there was an exposed area than if it were in salt water. Neither outcome would be good but I would like to find out how true that is. I always buy my boats from the hull/fiberglass condition. I can replace motors and rigging but fiberglass is a different story for me.

18. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaross97 View Post
    well hell. so here is a pic of one im looking at owner dont know much about boating.

I see all kind of rust stains on the transom. would you think lake of clean up and flushing? and the drain plug hold is looking beat too. what do you guys think?
    If the price is right ,, i would buy it. By the looks of it its only transom problems and i guess this is a fresh water boat. since the props and lowers look fine.
    The rust u see is more likeley transom rot and roty water coming from that erea.

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wstultz View Post
    This is what i've heard as well. The bacteria in fresh water makes it more dangerous if there was an exposed area than if it were in salt water. I would like to find out how true that is.
    100% true !!!!! it has to do with the plancton in the water,,and ofcorse the salt.
    fresh water has more/diffrent bacteria that can't surwive in salt water.
    If a wooden ship sinks in salt water it will stay in very good condition under water for a long time, in fresh water the wood will continue to rot even with out air,,since bacteria feed on it.
    Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 08-31-2009 at 01:37 AM.

20. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wstultz View Post
    This is what i've heard as well. The bacteria in fresh water makes it more dangerous if there was an exposed area than if it were in salt water. Neither outcome would be good but I would like to find out how true that is. I always buy my boats from the hull/fiberglass condition. I can replace motors and rigging but fiberglass is a different story for me.
    It also depends onthe year of the boats ,,,most newer boats have non roting core matt. or full glass hull bottoms ( no core ). newer boat seats are made out of blastic not wood and transom are made out of foamboard ( which i prefer the transom still to be wood )
    Any how ,,it is not that bad.
    I replaced all my core inthe boat and the transom, stringers bulkheads and ,,,,,,every thing else.LOL