Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Got to love CMI headers
    Angry
    It is a PITA to have to worry about the CMI's leaking. We pressured tested them 2 years ago when we rebuilt the motors. No leaks at that time. Last weekend after a nice run I put the boat up on the slings and started to flush the engines. My wife noticed a lot of steam coming out of the port motor exhaust. I talked to my mechanic (Ed @ Clear Lake Power Boat Service) and he suggested the headers may have a crack or leak. He pressure tested them and found a good sized crack on the port header off the port motor @ the collector and a small hole in one of the headers on the starboard motor near the back. They are now in to be rewelded and re-pressure checked. I don't think it caused any problems or reversion, but we will check that. I guess pressure checking them will have to be part of the maintenance every year. @ $5K a set you would think they would be better quality.

2. Collapse Details

I feel your pain. I had a collector problem already this season as well. Caught it early. I had them sent to CMI to fix the problem and have it done right. By the time I had my mechanic diagnose the problem, pressure test, ship the headers to CMI ($400+) and have CMI fix it, then have the headers put back on (new gaskets), I was looking at $1500.

3. Collapse Details

They're all junk!!

4. Collapse Details

The damage seems to happen if the boat has gotten hot from a clogged strainer or bad water pump/impeller. My buddy has an 07 TG with 300 hours on them with no issues but he is a wingnut about maintenance/changing impellers. He keeps his eyes glued to the water pressure gauge as well as the temp gauge when running the boat.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
    I feel your pain. I had a collector problem already this season as well. Caught it early. I had them sent to CMI to fix the problem and have it done right. By the time I had my mechanic diagnose the problem, pressure test, ship the headers to CMI ($400+) and have CMI fix it, then have the headers put back on (new gaskets), I was looking at $1500.
    Get hold of me next time!!!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nthdegree View Post
    Get hold of me next time!!!
    Will do.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Team Tsunami View Post
    They're all junk!!
    Pretty much...

Especially the ones they put out specifically for Mercury. CMI claims Merc called for thinner wall piping... lol

8. Collapse Details

STainless Marine. Ask for Brownie 5 year warranty Stuff is good.

9. Collapse Details

Agree with Kenny...

8 yrs were on the set in my Scarab when I sold it.... and so far 2 yrs on my current set in the Apache... With CMI's they had to be checked and/or repaired every season.

You can have your "bling", I sleep better now...

10. Collapse Details

registered
    Brownie's gone, but yes Stainless Marine has my vote for hassle-free, good solid performance.

11. Collapse Details

I think I may pull them off this winter and send them back to CMI for a full check. I have about 200 hours on them. I didn't have time to do it this time, we have a poker run coming up in 2 weeks and I knew I would never get them back in time. We had them welded and re-checked here locally by an excellent welder and they are installing them back on the boat right now. He is also checking the pistons and valves to make sure there was no damage. Definetely something to put on the annual maintenance checklist.

12. Collapse Details

Friend of my lost a 496 Mag due to the CMI headers. I had one (practically new) that had some pin holes, but it was still under warrantee and was replaced. Then once for no reason one of the headers got hot. Impeller was perfact, but like most of you. I constantly look and watch them. CMI = Continious Mental Insecurity. = STRESS.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

13. Collapse Details

I just replaced mine. My bro. replaced his for st. marine and he lost 150 rpms.

14. Collapse Details

Out of curiosity, what did he switch from and what kind of power?

15. Collapse Details

cmi to stl. marine on 500 efis.

16. Collapse Details

Alright, here we go again.....sent my headers out to CMI about 3-4 weeks ago to fix a leak I had in my connector. Used the boat twice since then. I take the boat out this past weekend and swear that I am having issues...but then I think I am just being paranoid. Well, I wasn't...there is a leak again, same side. CMI says they will take a look but since there is not warranty on their work, they are probably going to have to charge me again to fix it. They said they would take another look and if they can't fix it, they will give me credit towards a new pair. At the end of this whole ordeal I will have paid over $800 just in shipping costs (it was over $400 last time I shipped it to them and back). Where do I go from here. The boat/engine/drive is meticulously maintained and I always have babied my toys. I've never had any problems with the boat/engine other then header related issues. It's frustrating because I don't run the boat hard and I always flush and then drain them, always check to make sure nothing is loose, no leaks or visible cracks, the whole routine.

Before I send them back to CMI I would like to know what some of my options are and maybe some advice from some other people that have been down this road before. Do I even try to fix them at this point? Is CMI just going to tell me to buy a new pair so they can make their money?

17. Collapse Details

Before I send them back to CMI I would like to know what some of my options are and maybe some advice from some other people that have been down this road before. Do I even try to fix them at this point? Is CMI just going to tell me to buy a new pair so they can make their money?
    Call John Trione...I'll PM you his number. He's here in NJ but he can fix them for you and he'll give you the inside scoop of what to expect and if they're past the point repair for a fraction of the cost @ CMI.

I don't bother sending my stuff back to CMI, I have him fix everything and he fixes most everything for all the big guys in the area.

speaking of CMI's, my buddy just lost a header last week on one of his 700sci's with very low hours ...

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Call John Trione...I'll PM you his number. He's here in NJ but he can fix them for you and he'll give you the inside scoop of what to expect and if they're past the point repair for a fraction of the cost @ CMI.

I don't bother sending my stuff back to CMI, I have him fix everything and he fixes most everything for all the big guys in the area.

speaking of CMI's, my buddy just lost a header last week on one of his 700sci's with very low hours ...

This is a good idea. Try to find someone local that can weld them for you. What is the point of sending them back to CMI, if they leak the next time out and there is no warranty. I have put a couple of hours on mine since the repairs and they seem fine, but I will be looking out for any extra steam coming out of the exhaust. Problem is they can repair 1 leak and the next time out some other weld cracks or a pinhole shows up. My boat is also very well maintained and flushed after every run. One of the headers had a pinhole in the outside SS and was squirting on the underside of my hatch cover when we pressurized them.

19. Collapse Details

Alright, here we go again.....sent my headers out to CMI about 3-4 weeks ago to fix a leak I had in my connector. Used the boat twice since then. I take the boat out this past weekend and swear that I am having issues...but then I think I am just being paranoid. Well, I wasn't...there is a leak again, same side. CMI says they will take a look but since there is not warranty on their work, they are probably going to have to charge me again to fix it. They said they would take another look and if they can't fix it, they will give me credit towards a new pair. At the end of this whole ordeal I will have paid over $800 just in shipping costs (it was over $400 last time I shipped it to them and back). Where do I go from here. The boat/engine/drive is meticulously maintained and I always have babied my toys. I've never had any problems with the boat/engine other then header related issues. It's frustrating because I don't run the boat hard and I always flush and then drain them, always check to make sure nothing is loose, no leaks or visible cracks, the whole routine.

DOnt give them to CMI..........give them to us and well do you right!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gerritm View Post
    This is a good idea. Try to find someone local that can weld them for you. What is the point of sending them back to CMI, if they leak the next time out and there is no warranty.
    Exactomundo!!

John is a great welder and fixes all types of headers, every brand and even makes custom tail systems... He made a set for me a while back... He knows what can/will go wrong with the headers and why, he even uses a higher quality stainless when he welds them...

Also, as you said, you can fix one area and get a leak in another. That's why when John finds a leak, especially at a collector he separates the whole top half of the header, re-welds all the tubes/seams and welds it all back together... If he finds a leak on a seam near the exhaust flange he re-welds the entire spot. He told me you can chase pin-holes for hours if you "patch".

At some point though, you have to throw in the towel and buy new or get a different kind of system!

If Tsunami has a good guy in BigTime's immediate area, he may wanna go that route as well. One way or another he'll save on shipping and can have a quick turn-around.