Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Thanks ,yes she is coming together slowly,we have not made any plans to come to Florida ,but if we come over ,its going to be at the end of the summer ,we have a lot of work now ,the boating season has just started here .

A.J

2. Collapse Details
    some pics
    The swimplatform had to be a little longer to cover the Arneson drives and sharp props ,I used a 3/8 thick aluminium plate that is bolted in place .
    Extra reinforcement pipes has to be welded to the frame ,and bolted to the transom to add more strength for the extension,this is on the list for next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 025.jpg verkl.jpg   027.jpg verkl.jpg   030.jpg verkl.jpg  

032.jpg verkl.jpg   033.jpg verkl.jpg  

3. Collapse Details
    finished exhausts
    Today I finished the exhausts for both engines ,the tips are Hardin marine with a flapper inside ,I welded those onto a 4 inch male thread pipe ,while the inside exhaust is welded to a female 4 inch thread bushing,this way I can screw the tips onto the inner exhaust ,so there is nothing but stainless steel underwater.
    I tried to keep as much space in the center between both exhausts,so the small 4 kw diesel generator could fit in there .
    The generator is several years old ,but new,never run before ,and I got it very cheap thanks to my Hustler friend !

Next week I was hoping to make the 1 1/2 inch water pick ups that are adjustable in height .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14-5 -2010 030.jpg verkl.jpg   14-5 -2010 031.jpg verkl.jpg   14-5 -2010 032.jpg verkl.jpg  

14-5 -2010 033.jpg verkl.jpg   14-5 -2010 034.jpg verkl.jpg  
    Last edited by sterling; 05-14-2010 at 05:26 PM.

4. Collapse Details

So what dictated the routing of the exhaust? It looks in the pictures it would have been easier to just come off the turbo into another 45 offset from the centerline of the engines & shoot it out the hull where it is now. Like the port engine is set up.
    I'm not sure if that makes sense in writing. I'm more of a finger pointer kind of guy.
    I still think this is a cool project! I for one, can't wait to hear how it performs.

5. Collapse Details

It could be the pic ,but I need the space direct above the center stringer ,the generator is about 25 inch wide ,this way the exhaust routing is going to give the clearence I need .
    I needed to go this deep thru the transom ,because I want it to be in silent mode .
    I,m going to make an aluminium frame for the generator ,partly on the center stringer ,and supporting on the left and right stringer ,the gen is about 180 LBS ,so the frame must be pretty strong .

6. Collapse Details

Great thread. Any updates?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WFORob View Post
    Great thread. Any updates?
    I have some pics from the work that has been done last weeks ,the water pick up is ready and installed ,the water pickup pipes inside the boat run up along the transom +- 6 -7 inch above the waterline where I placed the two ball valves ,so I can put a T adapter to run the engines on a water hose .
    Fuel lines and filters are ready ,goodrich hoses and adapters in Ali .
    The powersteering pump is from a Mercruiser 1000SC and on a modified bracket ,the pulley on the engine is a CNC milled Aluminium made ,and is connected to the waterpump pulley with a center groove .
    Powersteering filter and reservoir is Latham,the pressure gauge is only for checking oil press once and a while .
    The Dash units from Yanmar were too big to have both in the dash panel ,so I took them apart and placed the components only .
    It was around 96F last week here ,so I spend a lot of time on the water !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6-7-2010 047.jpg verkl.jpg   6-7-2010 100.jpg verkl.jpg   6-7-2010 101.jpg  

6-7-2010 102.jpg verkl.jpg   6-7-2010 103.jpg verkl.jpg   6-7-2010 104.jpg verkl.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Nice work, I wounder why more guys do not run turbo's on gas engines. I assume the stainless pipes are not water cooled with a inner and outer layer. Are they not needed because it is a diesel?

9. Collapse Details

I just went for a ride this weekend on a wellcraft Nova that has been rigged with a volvo diesel. It was only a 4 cylinder that was supercharged and turbo charged. That thing was unbelievable how quick it got on plane and how fast it was. It made me think of this project, looks great can't wait to see the outcome.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    Nice work, I wounder why more guys do not run turbo's on gas engines. I assume the stainless pipes are not water cooled with a inner and outer layer. Are they not needed because it is a diesel?
    Thanks ,actually the exhausts are water cooled with a inner and outer wall ,between those pipes the water exits that has been run thru the engine .
    You can see the 2 pipes a few posts back on a pic .
    The exhaust diffuser that came with the Yanmars from the factory is a 90 degree double wall unit that can be used for most boats ,but not when you want to run the exhaust up straith after the turbo like I am doing ( water will flow back into the turbo/engine )
    If one uses this yanmar exhaust diffuser ,and run it downward ,then you can use exhaust rubber hose for exhaust system ,because of the water that is been injected in the exhaust gas flow.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JFM View Post
    I just went for a ride this weekend on a wellcraft Nova that has been rigged with a volvo diesel. It was only a 4 cylinder that was supercharged and turbo charged. That thing was unbelievable how quick it got on plane and how fast it was. It made me think of this project, looks great can't wait to see the outcome.

Yes ,me too ,can,t wait to put the boat in the water and see how she goes ,a friend overhere has a 24 ft rib with a 150 hp Volkswagen TDI engine /Mercruiser Bravo 1 ,its a 5 cilinder 2,5 L turbocharged ,he had a power box on the engine that adds 30 hp ,this thing was a rocket out of the hole ,and still did 55 mph

12. Collapse Details

So its been another 3 weeks. your doing great but where are you now

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post
    So its been another 3 weeks. your doing great but where are you now
    I,ve done a few things last weeks ,not as much as I planned to ...
    Some parts that I needed were either far away ,or have to be ordered ,the adjustable steering hub from Hardin is underway ,and should be here next week ,the Isotta Carlotta steering wheel is underway too from Italy.
    The Kiekheaffer shifter and throttles are already done in silver ,and are ready to install .
    I ,ve got some pics too !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 31 juli 2010 002.jpg   31 juli 2010 003.jpg verkl.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Looking good!!!!

15. Collapse Details

When do you expect to hit the water

16. Collapse Details

I was thinking to put her in the water at the end of August ,if all the nessecary parts that are needed to make a seatrial are on the boat .
    I don,t need the bolsters or upholstery to give the boat a try ,just to see what she is doing.
    I want to see how she is running with the Arnesons ,just to get an idea if she,s running flat or bow down or at the right angle ..I am very curious just like you guys are

17. Collapse Details

What propellers are you using?

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    What propellers are you using?
    6 blade rolla cleavers 21 x 28 stainless steel
    4 blade eliche radice cleavers 19 x 26 nibral

Those are the sets I have.

19. Collapse Details
    engine hatch /sundeck
    My wife has started to do the upholstery ,we ordered charcoal and graphite carbon vinyl at Great lake fabriks,which is awesome stuff, the blue is peachskin and looks like suede ,but is marine vinyl too.
    We made a pad in the centre of the deck so we don,t have to walk over the vinyl ,and we are waiting for the flexiteak guy to have him made that part .
    I have the hydraulic lift ram for the deck ready for install ,the stroke is almost3 1/2 feet so I guess the deck can be opened up pretty far to have good acces to the engines.
    Swimplatform is powdercoated ,I am thinking to do the flat Ali plate in flexiteak too, or in anti slip coating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 051.jpg verkl.jpg   050.jpg verkl.jpg   056.jpg verkl.jpg  

20. Collapse Details
    some more pics
    more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 057.jpg verkl.jpg   058.jpg verkl.jpg   059.jpg verkl.jpg  

060.jpg verkl.jpg