Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Idea Baja View Post
    So,you set them too high & need then you will need to trim down to ride level, right?
    It is just a really cool project. I'm so excited to hear how it performs!
    This is a 1st for a 40, right?
    Hell, it is probably a 1st for a Baja to have Arneson drives.

Thats correct ,when mounted too high ,the drives will push up more at the stern .
    It looks like the first Baja with Arneson,Ha ha , I,m also very curious as to how she will handle,can,t wait ,I was even thinking to put her in the water unfinished ,but mechanically ready ,just to see ....mmm ,its starting to get winter overhere ,I will keep you guys updated ,thanks for the kind replies.

2. Collapse Details

absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

3. Collapse Details

WOW! What a cool project. The boat is absolutely stunning with that paint! I liked the idea of ghosting Baja in the sides but that's about it....Too clean the way it is to mess it up with anything. Awesome project!
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

4. Collapse Details

Very cool project!! Good luck and thanks for all the updates!!!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by high-tide View Post
    Glad I could help you out when you needed it. If you need anything else let me know. Boat looks Great.
    High-Tide
    Your stuff is great ,the sundeck was perfect ,as is the rear seat and swimplatform,it was everything you said ,thanks again .

A.J
    Last edited by sterling; 10-30-2009 at 12:51 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Cool project!! Did you do your own glass work? I am moving my drive up 3" this winter. I am sticking with the Bravo drive for now, I am running 500HP on a single 236 Baja. Surface drives do seem to make more sense with less moving parts. The paint looks cool, but have fun keeping it looking new. Keep plenty of wax on it and try to keep it out of the sun.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    Cool project!! Did you do your own glass work? I am moving my drive up 3" this winter. I am sticking with the Bravo drive for now, I am running 500HP on a single 236 Baja. Surface drives do seem to make more sense with less moving parts. The paint looks cool, but have fun keeping it looking new. Keep plenty of wax on it and try to keep it out of the sun.
    Yes I did my own glasswork,in fact I did all the work myself ,exept for painting the boat ,the paint on the boat is Sikkens 2K with 4 layers of clearcoat ,the hull sides have 3 layers clearcoat over the blue ,hopefully its enough protection for the sun...I just placed the second engine on its mounts today ,will post a few pics tonight .

8. Collapse Details

You won't have any problems with the sun. The only downsides to dark colored hull sides and clear coat is showing scuffs from fenders. Just makes sure you keep the fenders clean and covers on them.

9. Collapse Details
    second engine in place
    Today the second engine on his mounts,I had to cut a little fiberglass where the alternator on the left engine sits.
    I was thinking to take a 1/4 inch alu diamont plate ,and weld a few braces to it ,so it could be mounted on the center stringer so we can walk ( crawl )on it along the engines if we need to be near the transom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 31-10-09 005.jpg verkl.jpg   31-10-09 006.jpg verkl.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

I have to say that is great looking. Keep it up!

11. Collapse Details

3" ????? Really??? It's just my opionion - but you'll never get it on plane that far above "normal"......

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by txriverrat2001 View Post
    3" ????? Really??? It's just my opionion - but you'll never get it on plane that far above "normal"......
    I am at 8" now raising it 3" would put me at 5".

13. Collapse Details

OK - So you're moving it up 3" from factory location right?

14. Collapse Details

Keep in mind that baja raised the factory x in 2003 2". My prop shaft height is at 3" and gets on plane fine. I do have an x box with the -2 shorty but I think it is the right move.

15. Collapse Details

OK - So you're moving it up 3" from factory location right?
    Correct, I have done a ton of research on this and 5" is very conservative. A lot of boats come out of the factory at that height.

16. Collapse Details

Correct, I have done a ton of research on this and 5" is very conservative. A lot of boats come out of the factory at that height.
    Does it still provide enough bow lift when you raise the x dimension at that level ?
    I guess you can,t go wrong here ,there,s always the possibility to add a spacer .

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sterling View Post
    Does it still provide enough bow lift when you raise the x dimension at that level ?
    I guess you can,t go wrong here ,there,s always the possibility to add a spacer .
    I have post on both sw, oso and the baja site before I joined here. The topic is "What is your drive height?". A guy on SW "Man of War" gained 12MPH with a 3.25" raise from factory depth (very deep). He also romoved the inner strakes and wedges. I think he went from 57 to 69 MPH with a 26' Baja and a 454 Mag 385HP. I do not have inner strakes in the transum area and my wedges are out of the water. I would think a 6MPH gain (2mph per inch) is pretty common. With drive heights in the 4 to 5" range the boats run flatter and faster with less trim. Much safer at high speeds.

18. Collapse Details

cool project

19. Collapse Details

Way cool. I want diesels and surface drives on my next boat... Heck maybe even on my current boat.

Did you find the engines and drives as a package deal?

20. Collapse Details

I bought the Arneson drives off a Sealine 11 meter yacht,the customer had blew up several gearboxes,and was tired of waiting for replace/repair in the summer ,he decided to go for Volvo 435 hp and Duoprop packages.
    The first Yanmar I bought locally at a Yanmar dealer with 800 hrs ,the second in Great Brittain with 1100 hrs,both engines were on a dyno to check them under full power,and both were around 430 hp on a hot day with no correction on the dyno.
    The Yanmar dealer overhere has a dyno ,they were very helpfull and did a injector cleaning and presure test,valve adjustments ,new filters/oil/impellers,etc etc
    Gearboxes are ZF, and came from Fabio Buzzi in Italy ,and have 2 gears , 1,30 ratio in 1 th gear ,and 1:1 in second gear.
    Yesterday we did change the O rings/packings in the Arnesons ,they were having a minor leak at the ball socket ,it seems the retainer ring was not torqued at the specs by the formal owner,because we could turn the ring a full revolution before the final torque was applied.
    I will post a few pics tonight