Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Pretty cool can't wait to see the progress!!!

2. Collapse Details

Thanks for the kind reply,s ,I did some work on the transom the last few days ,the wedge inside the transom is epoxied and fiberglassed in,the holes are drilled ,but I could not lift the drive allone with the outside wedge to install the whole thing ,monday I have the hoist back ,and will try to install the drive .

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hernia operations aren't all that bad. Ask Mobilemercman......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sterling View Post
    for power I have two Yanmar 440 hp turbodiesels ,drives are Arneson ASD8,s ,and gearboxes are ZF two speed .
    I am trying to make a relyable and economical boat that could cruise for a long time and distance.
    Any input for paintcolor on those Arnesons ? these are bronze drives ,they have a little corrosion that can be easily sanded ,not sure what to do ,paint or not ?
    Boat looks great! Nice clean lines.

Not to bust on your boat here, but cutting out the back seat/firewall/bulkhead like that without adding any reinforment in its place significantly reduces it's structual integrity. If you fly off of a wave and land on your side, you could cause some severe damage. Also, if you are not going to add any reinforcements, make sure that the hull and deck are glassed together as alot of bajas are not. I would assume it has been though since it was originally a poker run edition, but just make sure they are glassed together. If they are not, now would be the easiest time to do it as the boat is totally dissasembled.

5. Collapse Details

Just found this thread - not sure how I missed it.

The boat looks great as it is. Don't do anything too much more to it.
    Less is good.
    Looks very classy - I love it!!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

6. Collapse Details

Lots of work !! Good Luck !! Cant' wait to see the finished project - I've heard a lot of good things about the Yanmars - especially longevity. It'll be really cool to see fuel burn vs. speed etc ....

Just gotta find you some of them Rolla's to spin.... LOL

7. Collapse Details
    rolla,s
    Not much done ,I just came back from a holiday in St Tropez ,France ,I saw some nice boats with diesels overthere,lots of Mangusta,s but those are not for my type wallet.... going to work on the Baja next week ,I keep you guys updated.

As for the props I have a set 4 blade radice props ,and a set 6 blade Rolla,s that came with the Arnesons when I bought them,but those are 21 1/4 inch diameter and 28 pitch ,so I need to sell those and try to find anything around 18 inch diameter with 25-26 pitch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011.jpg verkl.jpg   018 - kopie (2).jpg verkl.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    Boat looks great! Nice clean lines.

Not to bust on your boat here, but cutting out the back seat/firewall/bulkhead like that without adding any reinforment in its place significantly reduces it's structual integrity. If you fly off of a wave and land on your side, you could cause some severe damage. Also, if you are not going to add any reinforcements, make sure that the hull and deck are glassed together as alot of bajas are not. I would assume it has been though since it was originally a poker run edition, but just make sure they are glassed together. If they are not, now would be the easiest time to do it as the boat is totally dissasembled.
    I understand what you mean,but this boat doesn,t have a bulkhead glased in were the back seat was /is ,it was just like it is now ..you are right about the hull glassed to the deck ,it is done in front under the deck,but not in the engine compartment ,I think it is a good idea ,and like you said ,now is the time to do .

9. Collapse Details

Sterling

Hat's off to you my friend. That is a nice project and I admire you for taking on such a unique project. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Hope it turns out just as you plan.

Please keep us posted.

Doc
    God Bless America

www.DocksPokerRun.com

10. Collapse Details

Not much done ,I just came back from a holiday in St Tropez ,France ,I saw some nice boats with diesels overthere,lots of Mangusta,s but those are not for my type wallet.... going to work on the Baja next week ,I keep you guys updated.

As for the props I have a set 4 blade radice props ,and a set 6 blade Rolla,s that came with the Arnesons when I bought them,but those are 21 1/4 inch diameter and 28 pitch ,so I need to sell those and try to find anything around 18 inch diameter with 25-26 pitch
    NEVER sell a propeller before you try it. You never know if it will work if you do not try it.

11. Collapse Details
    some work done
    Today I put one engine in the boat ,the Arneson is bolted ,but not sealed yet ,I have to take everything off when all the holes are drilled and with everything in the right place ,so I can protect all the exposed wood with epoxy .
    I had to lift the engine a little up front to give the double U joint a better angle in front of the Arneson ,so it wont have to move much ,and keep everything a little more inline .
    I,m trying to install the second Arneson next week ,and hopefully next saturday the other engine .
    Rik ,you are right about trying the propellors first before selling ,I have found a guy that had a set 6 blade rolla,s too,same as I have but 19 inch diameter and 25 pitch ,he would like to swap props.

I keep you guys updated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 037.jpg verkl.jpg   035.jp verkl.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

One engine bolted in place ,one Arneson sealed and bolted in place too ,not much work done last weeks ,need to find some more time ,next summer is on its way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004.jpg verkl.jpg   003.jpg verkl.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

This is a really cool project! Thanks for keeping us all updated on the progress.

14. Collapse Details

Looks like you are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the good work.

15. Collapse Details
    little progress
    Both Arnesons are sealed and bolted to the transom ,had to made a modification to the most outer stringers ,cause the steering cilinders attaching bolts and oil thru hulls came exactly were the stringer is glassed to the transom ,there was no other way than take the saw and cut 4 inches stringer away,and epoxied a new piece 1 9/16 plywood on top and to the transom,and glassed in again ....this was my first Arneson install ever ,so next time I check measurements first when I,m still at fiberglass/epoxy stadium rather than a finished ready for engine and drives engine compartment
    Saturday next engine day

16. Collapse Details
    pics
    some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23-10 035.jpg verkl.jpg   23-10 034.jpg verkl.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

How did you determine drive height? Was Arneson any help?

18. Collapse Details

There is a PDF file on Arnesons site that has all the drawings and measurements you need to drill holes ,Rik (Arneson) answered all my questions that I had ,very nice guy .
    The deeper the drive sits to the bottem edge ,the more level the trim setting can be ,the drive angle is smaller ,and thrust is pushing more forward than upward.

19. Collapse Details

There is a PDF file on Arnesons site that has all the drawings and measurements you need to drill holes ,Rik (Arneson) answered all my questions that I had ,very nice guy .
    The deeper the drive sits to the bottem edge ,the more level the trim setting can be ,the drive angle is smaller ,and thrust is pushing more forward than upward.
    So,you set them too high & need then you will need to trim down to ride level, right?
    It is just a really cool project. I'm so excited to hear how it performs!
    This is a 1st for a 40, right?
    Hell, it is probably a 1st for a Baja to have Arneson drives.

20. Collapse Details

Enjoy watching ur progress