1. Collapse Details
    Ok, I'm embarrassed to even post this * but Learn from my mistake
    Exclamation
    I woke up around 6:00am Thur. morning and ran out to the boat to pull the lower unit and have it freshened up. (STILL HALF ASLEEP)

This is off the same motor I pulled the injectors on and sent out, well 3 weeks ago when I pulled the injectors I plugged the fuel line with a bolt and clamp.

The battery's were dead so I hooked up the charger and the second I trimmed the motors up to pull the lower I hear a WHOOSH.. And look back and my motor is engulfed in flames.. I was lucky enough to have a couple fire extinguisher with in arms reach but they could not contain the fire. I quickly hooked the chains up to my van and drug the boat out from under the over hang and to a garden hose just outside the building. I was able to put the fire out with out any damage to the boat, building or myself.

I honestly don't know what happened, but it happened QUICK! .. I'm not sure if the fuel just dripped out and puddled up in the cowl, or maybe the return line allowed "vapors" to fill up under the cowl and when the spark hit.. boom.

All I know i I never smelled fuel and WILL ALWAYS HAVE FIRE EXTINGUISHERS HANDY! I'm Happy the OPA makes you have them because it's honestly something I never think about and when you do need them its to late.

I will now be caring two extra large extinguishers on the trailer.. The small ones in the boat helped but did not put it out and if not for the garden hose I seen while bragging the boat out I might be out far more than a motor.

I Fuked up and it's something that could have been avoided but it also could have been much worse ...

SO ALWAYS KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire 2.jpg   Fire 3.jpg   103_0028.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Wow!! Good thing you have outboards!!

3. Collapse Details

registered
    Wow man. Total bummer. All it takes is an instant.

4. Collapse Details

You got lucky. Fast thinking and not panicking saved your boat. Glad you are OK.

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    Rick ,,u did the right thing after u did the wrong thing. LOL

But never play with fire ,,,,your mom told u that .

GLAD YOUR OK AND ,,,YES IT COULD BEEN ALOT WORSE !!

6. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Sorry to hear this Rick.

In my past experiences, no matter what I was doing on my Merc EFI OS, 1st thing I would always do would be remove both cowls. The reason for this was because throughout the day I would always take a glance around the powerheads. You would be amazed at some of the things that might catch your eye when you are not really looking for them. It could be something as simple as placing a tie wrap on some wiring under the flywheel or finding a cracked fuel line.

Just a thought...

Good luck !

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dang Rick.......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    glad you got it out quick, let me know what you come up with for alien cowls.

new avitar for ya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marshmallo.jpg  
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat