Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post
    Lake X?
    Very good.....I was in the neighbohood yesterday and had to go check it out!!!! It was the first time I had been there since 1992-93!!! Drove by the old HoJo which is now an Econo Lodge...and the whole area has developed vastly since the old days!!!!! Someone is obviously taking care of the grounds at the Lake but I have no idea what the current situation with the property is!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

2. Collapse Details

I rang the bell but no one answered it but it does look like someone has been keeping the property pretty well maintained!!!!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    I rang the bell but no one answered it but it does look like someone has been keeping the property pretty well maintained!!!!
    My old home where I grew up. Lived there in 1966 during race boat building and setup times. Drove endurance there, best endurance boat I ran was a Switzer wing with a pair of 1350 stackers, ran close to 100 mph. For those who may not know 1350 was designation for basic 135 hp merc outboard. I can write an entire book on the episodes of Lake X. When I started there Schwebbie had just moved there from Wisconsin, and was the prop. guy, and the best there ever was, then came Odell, Lynwood, etc etc etc. I miss those days. When I used to go and test the Offshore rigs I was associated with, they would always let me take some laps in the test boats, I would love to do it again. By the way Sean, what are you up to. Any jobs out there, I need some work. email me richie@powersyachts.com .

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 7xchamp View Post
    My old home where I grew up. Lived there in 1966 during race boat building and setup times. Drove endurance there, best endurance boat I ran was a Switzer wing with a pair of 1350 stackers, ran close to 100 mph. For those who may not know 1350 was designation for basic 135 hp merc outboard. I can write an entire book on the episodes of Lake X. When I started there Schwebbie had just moved there from Wisconsin, and was the prop. guy, and the best there ever was, then came Odell, Lynwood, etc etc etc. I miss those days. When I used to go and test the Offshore rigs I was associated with, they would always let me take some laps in the test boats, I would love to do it again. By the way Sean, what are you up to. Any jobs out there, I need some work. email me richie@powersyachts.com .
    Richie

Out of all the shops I have been in lately I see alot of tumbleweeds blowing through them!!!! Very sad state of affairs in the marine industry!!!! I will send you an email my friend lets catch up!!!!

Sean

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    When we tested there back in the early 90's there was a home at one end of the lake. Schwebbie said don't get to close to that house, because he owned the lake & leased [Lake X] it to them. Back then I was also told he was in the credit card business. This guy was a big game hunter [wild pigs] and would show the guys in the shop his kill of the day hanging on the front of his Jeep....... I wonder if he still is the owner of the lake ????????

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by h2oMag View Post
    When we tested there back in the early 90's there was a home at one end of the lake. Schwebbie said don't get to close to that house, because he owned the lake & leased [Lake X] it to them. Back then I was also told he was in the credit card business. This guy was a big game hunter [wild pigs] and would show the guys in the shop his kill of the day hanging on the front of his Jeep....... I wonder if he still is the owner of the lake ????????
    I know of the home you're talking about....I wonder if he actually had some of his family or guests actually use it as a guest home.....

The gate house looks like it has been recently built so someone is obviously maintaining the property and I did see a big truck parked with a trailer behind it where we used to park the haulers and trailers!!!!!

7. Collapse Details

I was there with Brownie once and a squirrel came into the Shop, it was the size of a small dog, it took us a minute to figure out what the heck it was. also Got to feed the alligator potato chips.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FastDonzi View Post
    I was there with Brownie once and a squirrel came into the Shop, it was the size of a small dog, it took us a minute to figure out what the heck it was. also Got to feed the alligator potato chips.
    All I know is that I had a very intimate meeting with Elvis when I was putting some props on the boat while it was in the water under the over hang.....suffice it to say that it became breaktime at that very moment when his head popped up looking at me!!!!!

Sean

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    In 1965, I was at Donzi with Aronow. We built lots of experimental boats. One of them was the 14' Donzi "Peanuts". We built the first one with a racing Volvo on a model 100 Volvo drive. Don was driving everyone to finish the boat in time for the famous 9 hour race at the Miami Marine Stadium. He had sold it to a French Canadian. We finished it at 11:00 at night, after a lot of beer drinking. We launched the boat in a driving rain, and Don immediately jumped in, and roared off down the canal, wide open in the dark, pouring rain. We heard the noise fade away, and sat around and drank a few more brewskis. Soon, we heard the unmistakeable exhaust note of the little Volvo, and Aronow flashed by at about 50 mph. He idled to the floating dock, and said "Brownie, this is the best f**king boat I have ever built. It is fast, and turns on a dime. Give it a try"! Reluctantly, got in and squinted my eyes into the rain. I didn't intend to go very far in the dark, but when I gave it some throttle, I was surprised how zippy it was. When I got to the end of the canal at wide open throttle (which I could barely see) I cranked the steering wheel hard over. The boat hooked immediately, and threw my ass about 50 feet down the bay! Fortunately I had hooked the deadman switch, and it shut the boat down, but I couldn't see it in the dark. I thought to myself, "S**t! Aronow is going to shoot me"! I had visions of the boat in the rocks, etc. Finally, my heart slowed down a bit. I swam in a circle and located the boat, floating happily, about 100 feet away. I swam over and climbed aboard. It started up immediately and I gingerly ran back down the canal at about 30mph, and idled over to the dock. I said, "I tried a hard left turn, and threw me right out"! With a huge grin, Aronow turned around and showed me his ripped shirt. "Me too"!
    This is my favorite story so far. Freaking hilariuos. I will say I saw that coming, but sure as heck fun to read regardless.

I'm VERY new to the sport. I don't race, and truth be told...probably never will. But I sure as heck love reading these stories, love cruising the local lake/bay, and can't wait to get back out there on the water.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 7xchamp View Post
    Richie:

It was great seeing you at the NYC event and I look forward to visiting with you again at OFF in a few weeks. It's always good to catch up with an old friend.

I finally got to drive our (Darren's) Switzer "wing" for an extended period at the Grand Island Antique Race Boat Regatta a few weeks ago. I can finally understand how those hulls did so well in the multi hour/multi day marathons of our "youth".. It was very driver friendly and smooth...... although with the power we have you don't want to be lulled into "lift off" and turning is a challenge on a short (1 mile) course.......

I loved it..... and look forward to more seat time.

Regarding "The Lake", it was the only place on earth where so much technology resided from both Offshore and OPC racing. The thing that amazes me to this day is that, until we raised the "X" dimension on the early Shadow Cats to OPC levels (over Schwebbe's objections), the Offshore setups were way too deep! You would think with all the prop surfacing we were doing in OPC rigs going back to the early 60's that some of this would have crossed over from one building to another at Lake X. When we did it Schwebbe was convinced that bringing the prop shaft up close to or above the surface would not allow a true Offshore race boat to plane properly...and would not be responsive in the rough stuff......

Live and learn I guess.........

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

11. Collapse Details
    Ghost Rider; I'M STILL HERE YOU BAST'''S: MY FAVORITE QUOTE FROM PAPPILON
    Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDERBOLT View Post
    We are sincerely hoping Barry will bring her over to Cowes for the 50th celebrations
    Mike
    Well Mike, we have been anticipating the 12roundBritian as a last Hurrah, but we are open to changes...I forgot about the 50th of the Cowes........I am in Germany most of the time these days working on a new Medical Robotic Surgical System, so I am in the neighborhood and could plan a visit to you for some planning. Great work Horba, as usual keeping the wake running strong,Thanks for your work Charlie!!
    Barry

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    Barry
    Please let me know if you are able to drop in to London....
    You do realise that we have the only 2 working survivors from the first 10 years of the Cowes Torquay.
    THUNDERBOLT..restoration nearly complete will be at 50th
    TRAMONTANA...abandoned hulk in Anzio Italy
    A'SPERANZILLA...in process of full resto
    SURFRIDER...vanished
    BRAVE MOPPIE ....sunk
    GHOST RIDER...RESTORED AND FUNCTIONAL!!
    SURFURY...in museum..needing much attention
    TELSTAR..sold now in Australia
    CIGARETTE.....in Australia still surviving?
    MISS ENFIELD 2....in need of total restoration

you have to be there...it is your duty!!!
    Mike
    COPOC
    TOMMYSTBOLT@AOL.COM

13. Collapse Details

Registered
    Hi Mike,
    First off Ghost Rider has a new set of Daytona Green look alike 482 cu. in. engines. The boat looks the same as in 1965 before racing in 1966. I need to visit London shortly and if you send me your cell# I will be glad to call for more details. We could leave her in the UK for the next roundBritian. bfc@barryfcohen.com

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Barry
    let me know we can have lunch and maybe ask Maxwell Aitken (Lord Beaverbrook) if he would like to come along as well then there would be some more arm twisting to attend 2010.
    mobile no 07734 114380..
    Best Regards

Mike

15. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Just back from Key West 09. Had a great time and met some old friends from back in the day. Steve Curtis who is on board the Quatar sponsored cat now is a many time champion in his own right, but how many remember his dad...Clive Curtis?

Clive was a partner with James Beard in a new company called Cougar in England. But before that, he was also the local navigator for an American racing team at the 1969 Cowes race.....some wild guys out of Miami by the names of Knocky House and Don Aronow in a 32 foot Cary called.....The Cigarette.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    Just back from Key West 09. Had a great time and met some old friends from back in the day. Steve Curtis who is on board the Quatar sponsored cat now is a many time champion in his own right, but how many remember his dad...Clive Curtis?

Clive was a partner with James Beard in a new company called Cougar in England. But before that, he was also the local navigator for an American racing team at the 1969 Cowes race.....some wild guys out of Miami by the names of Knocky House and Don Aronow in a 32 foot Cary called.....The Cigarette.

Was Clive in Key West? I Know Pete C Said he was Going. I Got to know Clive, Steve, Pete, Ann-The whole Family and Crew when I worked at Cougar in Miami. Great People, Always fun to be around, The only person I ever saw more successful at Picking up chiks than Steve Curtis, was Brownie, That may be where Steve learned his skills. I remember being in Rum Runners and Steve telling Brownie (in his British accent) I Bet I can pick up that Girl, Brownie Coming back with-Yeah, Well I'll pick up Both Her friends, and Viola there Goes all the chicks out the door with Brownie and Steve.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FastDonzi View Post
    Was Clive in Key West? I Know Pete C Said he was Going. I Got to know Clive, Steve, Pete, Ann-The whole Family and Crew when I worked at Cougar in Miami. Great People, Always fun to be around, The only person I ever saw more successful at Picking up chiks than Steve Curtis, was Brownie, That may be where Steve learned his skills. I remember being in Rum Runners and Steve telling Brownie (in his British accent) I Bet I can pick up that Girl, Brownie Coming back with-Yeah, Well I'll pick up Both Her friends, and Viola there Goes all the chicks out the door with Brownie and Steve.
    No Clive wasn't there.

Picking up chicks on a bet......only one master. When it came to being competitive and winning the bet it was Aronow. He would make the bet....who could pick up a chick and leave the quickest. He would go in and get the ugliest girl in the joint and be out the door before the other guys had even started selecting....he got the money all the time.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    Thanks Steve. We are still working with the publisher to try to get the price down....less color shots, smaller shots etc etc.

Once we finally have the price, we can start getting the word out and hopefully that will tell us if there is any interest in this style of book.

We would like to have the first copies available to the public at the races in Key West in November, that should take care of a lot of Christmas shopping for many.
    No news about the book?

BTW however I would prefer a more expensive book but with more photos, greater, color....

19. Collapse Details

Brownie and Charlie keep it coming love reading all your stories and history about Don , sounds like you guys hade some fun.Great history too . Mark ..

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post
    Brownie and Charlie keep it coming love reading all your stories and history about Don , sounds like you guys hade some fun.Great history too . Mark ..
    Next HORBA chapter to be written is the upcoming Sept 18th Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Race. The first time this race has been run in many, many years.

It is open to all...it is 271 miles long and we put in provisions for those who have to stop and refuel along the way.

The current record stands at just over three hours.

We need both racers and support vessels.

Contact billy Frenz at his NPBA headquarters.