Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Nice work Bill! Who else has owned four or more Panteras?
    Besides Bill, Jo, and Pepe????

Gotta be a short list...
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

That guy that asked the question has owned 4, as have I. Does it matter that we have 3 of them in common?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Okay, chatted with Jo. Merged the two threads in here so everyone can enjoy and ask questions without jumping back and forth.....

And Jo, Class in a raceboat has nothing to go with what you drink......
    By the way it was me "pepe" that replied in this thread under Jo- Pantera Boats. I sign my posts w/ pp.
    I am to lazy to have my own user name. Maybe in due time I will be even considered an "icon", who knows!

To set the record straight: Jo does not drink smoke ETC ETC,
    I do that for him.
    Later,
    "pp"
    Last edited by JO - PANTERABOAT; 08-19-2009 at 05:13 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opa View Post
    i have had a pantera in my family since 1986 now im up to four of them
    a few people might have 4, but how many have one hanging from the ceiling of their very own bar

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Congrats, that's still a serious fete even for today

Pepe and Jo are you going to be in Key West for the races,

If so it gives me an idea for a party; something like............Serious Legends

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Okay, 40 plus hours in a 24 foot boat from Miami to New York......

Did you run the outside mostly? And I'm working on the miles, does anyone know what it would be close?
    That was the "plan" up the coast of Fla and then to the Carolinas and up the coast.

BUT as plans go a lot of times, it was getting late in the window for weather,
    the best weather is found in Mid July.
    The 2.4 Merc motors which were new @ the time would not run right @ all,
    I built that boat in the spring of 78, went to a couple of races up north in Ohio and Benihana in NJ all DNF's I took the boat to Lake X where it would run perfect, would sea trial in the ocean and the carburators would not cooperate! Merc would even send guys to work and sea trial here in miami, it got better in the ocean but nothing to write home about.

Since it was getting "late" for the weather window, Me and Ralph Linero (navigator) decided it was time to s*it or get off the pot. So I figured that if the boat made it up to Palm Bch I would save face.
    Well to make the long story short, the boat and motors ran flawless up to NY.
    Needless to say, we did not have all the charts for the trip (figured I knew how to get to Palm Bch) not enough food etc.

All we had for traveling the distance was 2 compasses that were not swung,
    an RDF borrowed and a VHF and the surprise that we were getting far away from home.

There was an incident where we ran aground on a sand bar in South Carolina and my wife Linda since not hearing from me, chartered a small plane to go and look for me
    at 2 AM never mind that she is scared of flying up to this day, but she is a tough lady!
    Talking about South Carolina, we were halted by local authorities thinking that we were smugglers or poachers. needless to say, it took a lot of explaining to the cops that we were setting a record.

I have a lot of anecdotes from that run. Just don't have the time right now.
    Later,
    pp @ pantera yes it is me "pp"

PS, one quick one, we stayed @ the Ritz in the city and my navigator was found by his wife the next AM fully sleeping in the toilet!
    Last edited by JO - PANTERABOAT; 08-19-2009 at 04:15 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht View Post
    a few people might have 4, but how many have one hanging from the ceiling of their very own bar
    Billy, whats up?
    pp.

8. Collapse Details

Congrats, that's still a serious fete even for today

Pepe and Jo are you going to be in Key West for the races,

If so it gives me an idea for a party; something like............Serious Legends
    Sounds good, except people tell me that I do NOT take myself too serious!
    My underwear is not too tight.
    pp.

9. Collapse Details

Give me time...

10. Collapse Details

Lil' DC Scotty has had 4 too, I think. And if you count up the years of Dr. Merola's 28, they may be close too!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Give me time...
    Time?
    Hurry up and make sure that you buy NEW from me!
    I also have to eat.
    Later,
    pp

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOAT View Post
    Time?
    I also have to eat.
    Later,
    pp
    C'mon Pepe! I keep trying to talk everyone else into buying new boats from you guys! I do what I can! (we should call that the "Pepe smilely, I've never seen a picture or Pepe in person without a cigar!)

13. Collapse Details

Time?
    I also have to eat.
    Later,
    pp
    When I win the Powerball tonight, we will talk about two in each size, one I/O, one O/B

14. Collapse Details

Did you do anything different with the construction of this 24 for this long distance run vs a regular 24 that you were building at the time?

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 32storm View Post
    Did you do anything different with the construction of this 24 for this long distance run vs a regular 24 that you were building at the time?
    No, @ the time technology was no where near what it is today.
    They were all hand laid up and heavy, that is why there are so many of those Panteras (30+ years old) still around.

Even today, I do what I know works, unless a customer is adamant about somethig other, I like to build the boats "my way" which from experience I know what works! We have done plenty of racing (abuse) which in a fancy term is R/D.

Later,
    pp @ pantera.

16. Collapse Details

That was the "plan" up the coast of Fla and then to the Carolinas and up the coast.

All we had for traveling the distance was 2 compasses that were not swung,
    an RDF borrowed and a VHF and the surprise that we were getting far away from home.

There was an incident where we ran aground on a sand bar in South Carolina and my wife Linda since not hearing from me, chartered a small plane to go and look for me
    at 2 AM never mind that she is scared of flying up to this day, but she is a tough lady!
    Talking about South Carolina, we were halted by local authorities thinking that we were smugglers or poachers. needless to say, it took a lot of explaining to the cops that we were setting a record.

I have a lot of anecdotes from that run. Just don't have the time right now.
    Later,
    pp @ pantera yes it is me "pp"

PS, one quick one, we stayed @ the Ritz in the city and my navigator was found by his wife the next AM fully sleeping in the toilet!
    Absolutely friggin awesome ....... some things haven't changed Pepe, the newer boats reflect of this awesome heritage with performance and quality, they will also be around for a long time!! tell us more :bigear:

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    Pepe is one of that last real legends and a gentleman. What an incredible history for Pepe,Jo, and Pantera. Much respect,my friend.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb4 View Post
    Absolutely friggin awesome ....... some things haven't changed Pepe, the newer boats reflect of this awesome heritage with performance and quality, they will also be around for a long time!! tell us more :bigear:
    I will get Jo to scan the Powerboat magazine article and post it here.
    Later,
    pp.

19. Collapse Details

great story.

I love my Pantera. The heritage is alive launching off rollers in the great white north.

20. Collapse Details

That took some serious stones to do that 31 years ago, and in a 24' boat. TONS of respect for you Pepe!

Just curious, how long did the record stand?