Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    I'm positive the Super SpeedMaster II, was only a different foot. Everything else was the TRS.

The Super SpeedMaster I, I do not know for sure though.
    There was never such thing as a SpeedMaster #1 sterndrive. Yes, the SpeedMaster #2 drive was a TRS upper and was the first sterndrive SpeedMaster drive. It deputed in approximately 1974.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Damn was i stupid.
    Let's not go there...lol The TRS/TR/SpeedMaster #2 transom plates were one in the same. But completely different than a #3 transom plate(or drive).

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadInjun View Post
    There was never such thing as a SpeedMaster #1 sterndrive. Yes, the SpeedMaster #2 drive was a TRS upper and was the first sterndrive SpeedMaster drive. It deputed in approximately 1974.
    According to Mercruiser there was. It ended up being the lower of choice for outboards. I just have no idea what upper it came with in the IO's.

http://www.powercatboat.com/FGS-SSM/FGS-SSM.html

Super Speedmasters (SSM's) were sufficient until hp approached 150. At 150 hp right hand SSM's were still up to par,
    but left hand SSM's could not take the load. Merc's solution for boats running 2 motors wanting one RH rotation prop
    and one LH rotation prop was to run one motor backwards and make a few minor changes to a RH SSM to allow it to
    work with CCW input and output. A second tier solution was to use the first MerCruiser sterndrive Super Speedmaster
    which had turned out to be a little weak for sterndrive use. This SSM was called a MC-1 SSM for "MerCruiser type 1 Super Speedmaster"
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Banned
    Let's not go there...lol The TRS/TR/SpeedMaster #2 transom plates were one in the same. But completely different than a #3 transom plate(or drive).
    I tell u ,,the TR II had the same gimbal and upper then the #3.
    NOT THE SSM II ( with the TRS stuff ) .

I get pictures and show u. BIG A$$ drives with round ear aluminum props,,mid to late 70's came on 35 + offshore boat build in england !!!!

1000 % .
    My buddy that bouth them has the gimbals on his 38 cig with #3's on them,,so it can't be TRS stuff.

5. Collapse Details

Got a photo? There was a minute quantity of MC-1 SSM drives that Merc produced, so few they were considered just another R & D expenditure. In other words, they did'nt exist to the general public. Another example, I happen to know for a fact, the exact total production of #7 SpeedMaster drives that were produced, because I was involved with Mercury at the time. The 7 drive was the same as a #6 drive, simply with a longer(deeper) gearcase, to accomodate larger diameter wheels for larger performance cruisers, just as the TRS & TR had different gearcases. There are parts breakdowns, still to this day, available at the dealer & OEM levels, with regards to the #7 drive. A total of eight(8) drives were built by Merc Hi-Perf. But hey, they existed!
    Last edited by OneBadInjun; 08-24-2009 at 03:57 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    I tell u ,,the TR II had the same gimbal and upper then the #3.
    NOT THE SSM II ( with the TRS stuff ) .

I get pictures and show u. BIG A$$ drives with round ear aluminum props,,mid to late 70's came on 35 + offshore boat build in england !!!!

1000 % .
    My buddy that bouth them has the gimbals on his 38 cig with #3's on them,,so it can't be TRS stuff.
    Merc ll drives(non-performance), were manufactured between 1962-1969. The Model 215E & model 215H drives were introduced in 1970 thru 1972, and were basically a TRS drive, but were not given this nomenclature until 1973. They were then called TRS/TR drives and were produced from 1973 up until 1993.

7. Collapse Details

Banned
    Merc ll drives(non-performance), were manufactured between 1962-1969. The Model 215E & model 215H drives were introduced in 1970 thru 1972, and were basically a TRS drive, but were not given this nomenclature until 1973. They were then called TRS/TR drives and were produced from 1973 up until 1993.
    I will get u a picture !!! of the gimbals and drives when i sold them .
    Something is not right.
    Trusst me ,,i believe u have alot more knoledge then me ,,but after i post the pictures maybe u can clear this up. LOL

8. Collapse Details

There have been a few innovative individuals out there, that have gone to the trouble of machine matching a SSM ll/TR/TRS to a SSM lll transom plate. I have seen it done. Personally, I don't believe in going to the trouble, as it just passes the stresses onto the next weakest link in the chain.
    Last edited by OneBadInjun; 08-24-2009 at 04:11 PM.

9. Collapse Details

You guys aren’t old enough Well maybe Injun is

TR2 is a TRS upper with a supersize lower, yes 19 or 20” prop.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...+++1973%2D1976

The III is another drive with a supersize lower, same basic upper as the #3SSM. I don't seem to have it on the site however. Had a finned rear cover with a fill plug in it if I remember correctly.

And way back in the day (early mid 60's) I think there was a SSM lower for the original II drive - not related at all to the TRS. I will say I was just a puppy then and might be thinking of something else.
    Last edited by mbam; 08-24-2009 at 04:55 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    From what I've been able to find, the SS I was only made in 1963. Then the II started in 1964.

And I'm pretty old.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

Registered
    215e and 215h both shifted in the top half of drive. They used an automotive type clutch rather than a coupler or trans. on the flywheel.when you shifted them an electric motor would spin and depress the clutch and spin a cable (similar to a speedo cable from a car) that would shift the drive then the cluch woud engage and off you went. The E was electric shift and the H was hyd. shift. Was probably the worst thing ever designed for a boat!
    TRII and TRS were the exact same drive and transom ass. the gearcase was the only diff.
    The TRIII and the #3 were the same other than the gearcase. I dont think there were many TRIII drives sold and that may be what DD had. Yes it did have a finned cover plate with a fill plug.
    Yes I am old enough to remember! LOL

12. Collapse Details

I came across what must have been a TRIII drive in May. I was in a boat salvage parts yard up here in Portland. The drive had no labels and did not have a SSM gearcase. The yard owner had gotten it from a local marine dealer that didn't know what it was. He asked me what I thought it was and since it had the finned cover and was beefier than a TR drive, I told him it was the #3 equivalent of a TRII drive probably early to mid-70's vintage. Supposedly it still functions and is likely still there.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TMS1155 View Post
    215e and 215h both shifted in the top half of drive. They used an automotive type clutch rather than a coupler or trans. on the flywheel.when you shifted them an electric motor would spin and depress the clutch and spin a cable (similar to a speedo cable from a car) that would shift the drive then the cluch woud engage and off you went. The E was electric shift and the H was hyd. shift. Was probably the worst thing ever designed for a boat!
    TRII and TRS were the exact same drive and transom ass. the gearcase was the only diff.
    The TRIII and the #3 were the same other than the gearcase. I dont think there were many TRIII drives sold and that may be what DD had. Yes it did have a finned cover plate with a fill plug.
    Yes I am old enough to remember! LOL
    More good info.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mbam View Post
    You guys aren’t old enough Well maybe Injun is

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...+++1973%2D1976

The III is another drive with a supersize lower, same basic upper as the #3SSM. I don't seem to have it on the site however. Had a finned rear cover with a fill plug in it if I remember correctly.

And way back in the day (early mid 60's) I think there was a SSM lower for the original II drive - not related at all to the TRS. I will say I was just a puppy then and might be thinking of something else.
    It's about time you helped me out on this Marc, lol. Hey, on another note, when are you going to get all the Kiekhaefer trim tabs, indicator panels, accuators, etc., all back up on your website? I know you have it on disc! Put it up. Thanks

15. Collapse Details

It never went away, it's just hard to find.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...doc_nbr=891720

I'm working on a new version of the site, this is on the list.

16. Collapse Details

Here's the indicator panels

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...doc_nbr=898115

All here, just gotta dig till I reorganize it. In my spare time

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...sp?type_id=ASS

17. Collapse Details

Thank-You Sir!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mbam View Post
    I've only seen and worked on one of them, it was on an old SeaRay Amberjack and it spit the pinion out the side of the case..

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    I showed the very first Volvo 200 drive on a 16' Donzi at the Jacksonville Boat Show in November 1964. Bill Steele and Joe Swift of Mercury offered me money and Ho's if I would swing by Lake X on the way home. No dice!

and Regarding the Volvo E-Drive ( Volvos SSM) They are on regular basis for sale in Europe time to time.
    Yesterday I saw one for sale that could take 600hp..not bad for a early 70´s drive....

Plus Volvos Steering and Trims are second to noe compared top Merc and the Casting is like from another planet.
    Still I look for the black bastards myself...

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Probably were ugly Ho's..........
    Knowing Brownies way of thinking and way of life...
    I Think he would´ve expressed his opinion about the quality of the ladies of the hour...