Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    The problem with elections is that every time they hold one...a politician wins.
    Root cause issue perfectly stated.......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

The Company has a long and legendary tradition and deserves better than an inglorious end in Oklahoma.

T2x
    Just stay in the shallow end with regards to Oklahoma. There are those of us on this board that live here and think it is a decent place to live. The rest of this is not directed at you T2X.

The great thing about this country is that if you become disenchanted with the way things are going you can run for office and, if elected, start fixing what you think is broke. I don't really blame the politicians, CEO's or Labor Leaders for the mess we are in but they are easy targets. We the people are to blame. We allow the politicians to lie to us yet keep them in office, we allow the CEO's to gouge us yet continue trading with them, we allow the labor unions to stay in power yet don't hold them to performance standards.

Part of the problem is business does not work like government. In business, there is a boss and what the boss says goes - right or wrong. Government doesn't remotely work like that - thank god. That is unless I am the dictator. I'm willing to go for that. But chances are good that you are not and I'm not willing to turn it over to you. So, it seems to me the best we can do is to elect people that are good at building consensus that share our beliefs. We just haven't done a very good job at that part.

3. Collapse Details
    READ about China
    China not only is growing they are buying our technology. Boeing nowwill build planes in China! Many companies are desparate and are selling out thier technology to 'China for not only cash but for future incentives on taxes.
    This and many other disturbing facts were presented by the Commissioner for US and China at a recent PBS broadcast .

The biggest problem being the WTC or World Trade Commision lets us trade with China but allows thier exports to massively exceed thier imports and they are vey wealthy coutry. The WTC must make a change to make China import more from the USA or they will be what they are striving hard for is to be the richest a most powerful country on earth.They say they will do it.

Our largest export to China is SCRAP which they are collecting to drive our steel plants out as well as use it to grow China since they do not have the resources to get the metals anywhere else. BTW China is in its last stage of development of a missile that can track a moving ship at 1000 miles away. We cant stop them.
    Last edited by flyinrio; 08-17-2009 at 11:23 AM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rbhudelson View Post
    We the people are to blame. We allow the politicians to lie to us yet keep them in office, we allow the CEO's to gouge us yet continue trading with them, we allow the labor unions to stay in power yet don't hold them to performance standards.
    You bet!!

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rbhudelson View Post
    Just stay in the shallow end with regards to Oklahoma. There are those of us on this board that live here and think it is a decent place to live.
    I used to live in Arkansas and Texas and got married in Oklahoma (Durant). I know the area well and think the people are the salt of the earth...... but , like all places I have become familiar with ( my birth place, NYC,..........Long Island, where I was raised,....... Canada , where I did a lot of racing, and of course, "Joisey") I reserve the right to poke a little fun now and then.

By the way, what percent Cherokee are you? .

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

6. Collapse Details

The problem with elections is that every time they hold one...a politician wins. This says an awful lot about the lack of curiosity, and knowledge of the American voter.
    Not always. We sometimes have a sense of humor:

Jesse Ventura (Pro Rassler)
    Sonny Bono (Singer)
    Al Franken (Comedian)
    Ronald Reagan (Actor. I thought that he did a pretty good job...)
    Arnold Schwarzanegger (The Governator)
    Others?

Anyway - Hope the whole Mercury thing works out best for as many employees as possible. The upside of economic downturns/recessions is that they allow a little healthy Darwinism to take place, and stronger companies to emerge on the back side. Hopefully, the corrupt and unproductive will suffer the most.
    Last edited by C_Spray; 08-18-2009 at 08:40 AM.

7. Collapse Details

A couple things Eastern Airlines was mentioned, their demise was sealed by Charlie Bryant (fat azzed Union boss) who refused to acknowledge the dire need to cut the costs as laid out, so he and his union lackeys started a march on Tallassee from Miami ,they got to Hollywood and gave up anyway the grand old company went under, What a shame good old fashioned Stupidity and “Screw the man attitude” prevalent in these union hacks was 100% responsible.

We have the Highest Corporate taxes in the world.

The Draconian EPA and every alphabet name in the government and Plus the lawyers looking too sue the all ready handcuffed companies at every opportunity; this place has become the joke of the earth.

In short it is the business environment we have today This Country is VERY unfriendly towards Industry. I have setup business overseas and was shocked at the difference.

I am not going to comment on what this current crop of Bastards in government is doing for that I would have to reach into another language for verbiage as English does not have the depth of negative commentary I need.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

8. Collapse Details

T2x
    Enough to be a card carrying member

9. Collapse Details

T2x
    0% but I still like Oklahoma and would love to see Mercury move all of it's operations to Stillwater Oklahoma!!!!!

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
    A couple things Eastern Airlines was mentioned, their demise was sealed by Charlie Bryant (fat azzed Union boss) who refused to acknowledge the dire need to cut the costs as laid out, so he and his union lackeys started a march on Tallassee from Miami ,they got to Hollywood and gave up anyway the grand old company went under, What a shame good old fashioned Stupidity and “Screw the man attitude” prevalent in these union hacks was 100% responsible.

We have the Highest Corporate taxes in the world.

The Draconian EPA and every alphabet name in the government and Plus the lawyers looking too sue the all ready handcuffed companies at every opportunity; this place has become the joke of the earth.

In short it is the business environment we have today This Country is VERY unfriendly towards Industry. I have setup business overseas and was shocked at the difference.

I am not going to comment on what this current crop of Bastards in government is doing for that I would have to reach into another language for verbiage as English does not have the depth of negative commentary I need.
    What he said......

11. Collapse Details
    MERCURY: Talks end, tentative agreement not reached
    Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Here's the latest after Monday's final talks.

The union that represents the hourly workers at Mercury Marine in Fond du Lac ended contract negotiations with the company Monday afternoon and said it will present a proposal from Mercury to its members for a vote Sunday.

Monday was the targeted deadline for the finalization of an agreement on the contract, according to a press release from Mercury Marine.

Mercury’s proposal has the potential for a long-term contract that includes wages that are competitive for this region, a benefits package similar to that of Mercury’s salaried workers and operational flexibility similar to that in place at other locations.
    Representatives of the company and the union talked for about five hours Monday in Fond du Lac before the union informed Mercury of its plans for a vote.

“It’s extremely disappointing that these past two weeks of negotiations, as well as months of preparation, have not resulted in a tentative agreement,” said Mercury Marine president Mark Schwabero.

Representatives of the company and union leadership have met over the last two weeks to negotiate needed changes on benefits, wages and operational flexibility.

“We have been extremely open and honest with our employees and their representatives about the challenges that must be overcome if Mercury is to remain in Fond du Lac,” said Schwabero.

“This is not an attempt to take advantage of a struggling economy. The terms being presented to the union are truly the best option for a competitive and profitable operation. The company has been very open and forthcoming and, we think, reasonable in our requests.”

Mercury is attempting to decrease underutilization of its facilities in order to emerge from the economic downturn a stronger and more profitable company in a very different, much smaller market. Consolidation of its operations in Fond du Lac or Stillwater, Oklahoma, is one possible option that could realize those goals.

Even without a tentative agreement, union leaders have the ability to place the company’s proposal before the union membership for a ratification vote

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    So the way I read it, the Union leadership does not have a contract or agreement they are willing to say is worth voting on, but are giving the Mercury Marine proposal directly to the members for a vote anyway?

13. Collapse Details

I recieved the below message from IBI today;
    http://www.ibinews.com/ibinews/newsd...07ibinews.html

Mercury contract talks fall apart

By IBI Magazine

Contract talks fell apart yesterday between Mercury Marine and leaders of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Lodge 1947, which represents hourly workers in its Fond du Lac headquarters. The union leaders said that it would bring Mercury's proposals to a vote among its members on August 23.

"It's extremely disappointing that these past two weeks of negotiations, as well as months of preparation, have not resulted in a tentative agreement," Mark Schwabero, Mercury president, said in a statement.

Mercury had set Monday as the deadline for negotiations. The company has been weighing its options for future operations, including consolidation of its Fond du Lac facilities to its MerCruiser operations in Stillwater, Oklahoma, or vice versa.

"We have been extremely open and honest with our employees and their representatives about the challenges that must be overcome if Mercury is to remain in Fond du Lac. This is not an attempt to take advantage of a struggling economy," said Schwabero.

Union leaders said the offer calls for a seven-year wage freeze, pay cuts for laid-off employees called back to work, and higher health care costs for retirees. "If I wanted to retire at age 62, my pension wouldn't even cover what I had to pay for health insurance," Mark Zillges, Lodge 1947 president, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Zillges said Mercury offered "assurances" it would keep a presence in Fond du Lac, but did not guarantee hourly jobs. "I think for spite they are going to move some jobs to Oklahoma," he told the paper. "But I don't think the company has the millions of dollars it would cost to do an environmental cleanup of the plant site here" if they chose to close it.

Mercury says its proposal includes a long-term contract that includes wages "competitive for this region, a benefits package similar to that of Mercury's salaried workers and operational flexibility similar to that in place at other locations."

Mercury spokesman Steve Fleming told IBI that the union's proposals would've increased Mercury's costs and not lowered them. "The union asked for wages that were in the top 98-percentile for manufacturing jobs in the region," he said. "Over a four or five year period they would've increased by 9.5 per cent. That's in conflict with what we're trying to accomplish here."

Fleming said the Mercury proposal includes a three-year freeze, and then the company would "evaluate what wages in Wisconsin are doing" in order to gauge further pay increases. Fleming said wages and benefits at the Fond du Lac facility are not "cost competitive" with other locations, including Stillwater.

The union leaders said the company wants to hire a temporary workforce that could comprise up to 30 per cent of hourly employees. Dan Longsine, chief negotiator for Lodge 1947, told the paper that concessions without job guarantees will probably be a sticking point for the union members. "I think that our negotiators were willing to consider concessions if it meant keeping jobs, but it just didn't seem to be enough," Longsine told the paper.

(18 August 2009)

14. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    The union will vote this Sunday.

From the union rep's interviews on the local news, Mercury Marine is done in Fond du Lac. So sad...2000 jobs will be lost.....because of selfish, union thinking.

I hope they don't complain about the long lines at the unemployment office.
    ________

15. Collapse Details

Very sad for Fond du Lac.........

However, Oklahoma will welcome those jobs with open arms and no unions......

16. Collapse Details

I'd add for those comparing the greedy CEO's to the unions that there is a big difference. A top CEO can earn his keep and then some, such as Mulally these days (many don't of course) and can get hired elsewhere for the same pay or more. Most union gigs are getting paid more and better benefits than anyone doing similar work on the "open market".

As to the Mercury situation, what a shame that these guys can't get a clue as to what will happen to them. I haven't seen though, what kind of benefits/pay to they get compared to the region?

Happens with auto suppliers and many other unions. They are competing with others, refuse to get in line with a fair wage (not underpaid), lose the business and their jobs, then blame the corporation. If the product they're producing can't support the wage, and their's willing labor capable of making it for less the outcome is inevitable.

Like Ratickle's been saying, as long as this country continues in this sham of a "global economy" we will continue to lose standard of living, while everyone gains. It is simple equilibrium.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by flyinrio View Post
    china not only is growing they are buying our technology. Boeing nowwill build planes in china! Many companies are desparate and are selling out thier technology to 'china for not only cash but for future incentives on taxes.
    This and many other disturbing facts were presented by the commissioner for us and china at a recent pbs broadcast .

The biggest problem being the wtc or world trade commision lets us trade with china but allows thier exports to massively exceed thier imports and they are vey wealthy coutry. The wtc must make a change to make china import more from the usa or they will be what they are striving hard for is to be the richest a most powerful country on earth.they say they will do it.

Our largest export to china is scrap which they are collecting to drive our steel plants out as well as use it to grow china since they do not have the resources to get the metals anywhere else. Btw china is in its last stage of development of a missile that can track a moving ship at 1000 miles away. We cant stop them.
    i'm sure obama's on it

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RLJ676 View Post

Like Ratickle's been saying, as long as this country continues in this sham of a "global economy" we will continue to lose standard of living, while everyone gains. It is simple equilibrium.
    Interesting statment since it was the Big Three that helped to coin the phrase "Global outsourcing"

Auto companies led the way in buying out of this country

The top three groups that are proving to be our worst nightmare are

1) Polititians
    2) Lawyers
    3) Unions

19. Collapse Details

The problem with elections is that every time they hold one...a politician wins. This says an awful lot about the lack of curiosity, and knowledge of the American voter.
    Ditto!

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boatme View Post
    Interesting statment since it was the Big Three that helped to coin the phrase "Global outsourcing"

Auto companies led the way in buying out of this country

The top three groups that are proving to be our worst nightmare are

1) Polititians
    2) Lawyers
    3) Unions
    Auto companies had no choice after the decisions of the Clinton administration to allow Mexican and Chinese imports with no tariffs, and with no enforcement of the same laws (pollution, child labor, SSI, unemployment, patents, copyrights, worker safety, etc.) they force the US companies to adhere too. Do you send your manufacturing overseas? Or do you go out of business? There was/is no third option for US companies......

And these morons are making it worse now with trying to pass the new energy and health mandates. We already have the highest corporate taxes and operational expenses in the world.