Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
    wow shark, even then you where sniffing around the inner structures of race boats...nice!
    Yup !!!

Just to show that I was serious about the houseboat being my first offshore race boat. I believe it may have been Miami to Nassau race...

2. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Yup !!!

Just to show that I was serious about the houseboat being my first offshore race boat. I believe it may have been Miami to Nassau race...

That's funny!!

3. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarab KV View Post
    That's funny!!
    But true...

If I can find the picture of the dashboard, it had an emblem on it stating Miami to Nassua.

Actually I just found this on a website:

The Following is an excerpt from Lazy Days History Website..

In October 1967 Lazy Days participated in the Miami-to-Nassau Ocean Powerboat Race. The 50' luxury houseboat was equipped with three air-conditioners, walnut paneling, wall-to-wall carpeting, a well stocked refreshment center and even an icemaker. Despite some problems with their engines, the houseboat averaged 20 mph during the 184 mile race. After the race, the Race committee performed a thorough inspection, concluded that there was no damage to the houseboat and awarded an "Ocean-Tested" seal of approval by the Bahamas Powerboat Association. Lazy Days is still the only houseboat manufacturer to have received this award.

The following June the 50' Lazy Days was selected to be the pace boat for the Bahama 500 ocean power boat race. The excitement started shortly after arriving at the rendezvous for the run from Miami to Freeport. Beachem had made arrangements for photographer Keith Heaton of Miami to take pictures of the Lazy Days playing "mothership" and towing race boats. Heaton had hired a helicopter for the assignment.

Once out in the ocean, they were in the process of rigging a tow for Wishnick's 32-foot aluminum race boat, when Heaton and his helicopter pilot swooped down to record Lazy Days' first effort as a triple-air conditioned tow boat. Somehow they failed to swoop back up again.

In fact, the chopper continued to descend, splashed in the ocean and sank in less than two minutes. Heaton, who had a heart condition, and the pilot, who could not swim, were tossed life preservers from the Lazy Days. One race boat crew member, Ed Sims of Atlantic City, N.J. and Beachem's 16-year-old son, Doug, dived overboard and helped the two airmen to the big houseboat. Meanwhile, using Beachem's Leica, Geer recorded the rescue on film.

Beachem notified the Coast Guard by radio. Dropping all tows, he headed for land to deposit the two wet, shaken airmen. Wishnick and Brown decided about that time that they'd better crank up and head for Grand Bahama under their own power, and waved goodbye in a cloud of salt spray. Donzi Blue Devil put out the anchor to await Beachem's return.

Around 5 p.m. . . . nearly four hours later than the plan called for . . . Lazy Days with Blue Devil in tow departed Haulover for race headquarters at Lucaya. They made the 96-mile trip across the Gulf Stream in 5.5 hours, averaging better than 17 m.p.h. in four to five-foot seas.

"At some point, the guys watching the Blue Devil were yelping for me to slow down," Beachem remembered. "The 28-foot race boat was jumping off waves just as though she was being driven. However they were worried we'd break a tow line, so we throttled down a bit just to keep our tow in the water."

Despite this impressive racing record, Lazy Days does not make race boats. The Lazy Days houseboat has always been known as the "Cadillac of Houseboats". The vessel caters to the up-scale market. Quality hand-crafted teak woodwork throughout the vessel, high grade appliances, and unique hull construction are standard trademarks of excellence in each Lazy Days houseboat.

Very cool history now that I read it...

I think their numbers are wrong on the footage, unless they just placed the emblem on all their boats thereafter ? I know mine was at least 56 to 57 feet by 13 feet. I remember 13 because I was going to hang my 13 foot Bullet 130 off of the back of it as a tender....

4. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Cool history lesson. As a kid, my neighbor had a Lazy Days at the local marina. Very nice boat for the day. When we were in our early teens, his dad would let him have sleep overs for a few friends on the boat with no adults. We thought we were on top of the world.

5. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    When I was a young kid, my father let me pilot the Lazy Dayz up through Hell's Gate, East River, New York City. I can remember having the engines spinning 3000 rpm each and not moving forward at all !
    The current really moves through there !

6. Collapse Details

I know the area. Never in a boat though. I ran LTL to NYC every week for 15 years. My last round out there was 3 weeks before 911. Now that I'm out of that pace and groove, can't say that I miss it much.

7. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    By water is far better than by land...

8. Collapse Details

No doubt.

9. Collapse Details
    1985 Chris Cat
    Cool
    My 300 Chris Cat with Merc SC's, crashboxes and Speedy III's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails poker run 06.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

87 Donzi 22 Classic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 Pics 2 014.jpg  

11. Collapse Details
    Old School Wood
    1960 Lyman with rebuilt Crusader...close to 50 mph!

1964 Chris Craft Super Sport - morning ski boat tops out at 54 mph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000158.JPG   P1000144.JPG   P1000146.JPG  

THROWBACK

12. Collapse Details

77' Donzi Hornet II

85' Ciggy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000147.jpg   P1030324.jpg   P1030326.jpg  

THROWBACK

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 300Chriscat View Post
    My 300 Chris Cat with Merc SC's, crashboxes and Speedy III's
    Nice! My Dad had one of these while we were growing up.
    www.blackduckcafe.net

14. Collapse Details

How about a 1975 Bertram 38 Comp'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12-16-08 River still shot 1.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MrCig View Post
    1985 38 Cigarette Flat deck
    Love the flat deck Cigs

16. Collapse Details
    FEATHERCRAFT in resto now.This thing is only 13 foot long.Going to use it like a golf cart in the marina .............why use wheels when you can float
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails feather 004.jpg   feather 006.jpg  
    beer is food

17. Collapse Details
    My 3 Toys
    1992 21' Superboat (New Motor Coming Soon)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SB21 004.jpg   SB21 012.jpg   SB21 024.jpg  

18. Collapse Details
    #2 1994 16' Superboat
    Restoration in progress...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16paint 006.jpg   16paint 013.jpg   DSC_31752.jpg  

19. Collapse Details
    #3 1988 Hydrostream Viper
    This boat has never been rigged, had any holes drilled in transom. Interior has never been installed, (screws, bolts are still in bags).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails viper 007.jpg   viper 008.jpg   HS Viper Port Interior.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mragu View Post
    This boat has never been rigged, had any holes drilled in transom. Interior has never been installed, (screws, bolts are still in bags).
    WOW were did you find that?
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh