Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
    nope, if you get in a pinch i can send you a few square feet but it sounds like Jack should have plenty of end cuts left over from his Apache project. I am guessing you only need a square few feet?
    Thanks again for all the help Dave.... Slowly making progress...

2. Collapse Details

Dave - we were "those" people at the ramp last weekend. You know the couple you say you'll never be? We were them.

Tony - "NO! You need to throttle harder, it isn't going on the trailer right!. "

I AM!

Let ME do it then! Oh.... it isn't going on right...

It didn't help this was after our camping trip where everything was covered in sand, we beached the Whaler by accident on the sandbar and had to carry a **** load of stuff back and forth from the beach to the boat.
    I saw a boat once!

3. Collapse Details

Dave, I have a question about 1708 and 1700, it just occured to me.....

What about bonding 1700/Epoxy to an existing substrate? Does the 1700 provide enough bond to the old surface or should 1708 be used for the first layer of the laminate?

Just curious!

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post

What about bonding 1700/Epoxy to an existing substrate? Does the 1700 provide enough bond to the old surface or should 1708 be used for the first layer of the laminate?

Just curious!
    yes but only with epoxy and as long as the surface is completely sanded. With epoxy you dont need the layer of mat for a bond. Dont really know the mechanics of it but i know mat does not really have a place in an epoxy system.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

5. Collapse Details

Do you happen to stock 1708 Dave?
    Last edited by fund razor; 08-08-2009 at 02:53 PM.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

6. Collapse Details

yes but only with epoxy and as long as the surface is completely sanded. With epoxy you dont need the layer of mat for a bond. Dont really know the mechanics of it but i know mat does not really have a place in an epoxy system.
    Great info, thanks Dave!

7. Collapse Details

Just curious!
    what are you up 2 now ? Frank 9 times out of 10 most people will use 1708 for the pure fact that if you are using west system epoxy they will call a west systens service tech and they will recomernd 1708 because the 3/4 oz chop back is sewn into the weave of the S glass and like i said in a previous post 1700 or S glass is not readily available unless ordered . Frank the reason for not using a chop back is very simple because epoxy will not saturate or absorb into the fabric (mat / chop ) as well as poly or vinyl because of the chemical make up . Hope all is well................. artie
    Last edited by Offshore Ginger; 08-08-2009 at 07:44 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Things are great! Nothin doin, just curious on the 1700 for use with Epoxy in the future.

It was definitely a PITA wetting out the 1708 with the Epoxy. In the future I'll do the 1700 and see how I like it.

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I was told, pretty sure it was Pete, the binding agent in the mat can interfere with epoxy curing.

As far as the wetting of 1708 with polyester. I have always pre wetted the fabric with a nice brush shiny side {woven side } first, flip the piece and completely wet mat side.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I was told, pretty sure it was Pete, the binding agent in the mat can interfere with epoxy curing.

As far as the wetting of 1708 with polyester. I have always pre wetted the fabric with a nice brush shiny side {woven side } first, flip the piece and completely wet mat side.
    I have seen in years past while working at Skater and S 2 Yachts were the binder (chop) has torn away from the mat put this was a learning curve from using Vinyl / Poly going into using Epoxy .

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post

There is no styrene in epoxy to break down the adhesive in the mat to allow a complete saturation and proper curing.

Like Dave said, epoxy and mat really don't go together.

12. Collapse Details

1708 doesn't have styrene binder, its stiched. It is just hard to wet out. Only way I got it to wet out the way I liked it was to roll it and squegee before lay-up

13. Collapse Details

I had decent results with 1708 wetting out with polyester resin using the brush and wetting both sides. Then wetted some more when it was in place. I just tried to get the resin on evenly, so that the mat saturated more uniformly. Seemed like many lighter coats with the brush was better than dumping it on the mat and spreading it out.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

14. Collapse Details

1708 doesn't have styrene binder, its stiched. It is just hard to wet out. Only way I got it to wet out the way I liked it was to roll it and squegee before lay-up
    I did some 1708 yesterday and thought about this post. Had a heck of a time getting it to wet well. Maybe my ratio was off, or the sun that came around and hit the work. It was ok in the end. But dam was it tough this time. Had to keep applying resin and then it would run.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I did some 1708 yesterday and thought about this post. Had a heck of a time getting it to wet well. Maybe my ratio was off, or the sun that came around and hit the work. It was ok in the end. But dam was it tough this time. Had to keep applying resin and then it would run.
    i like to wet it out on a piece of cardboard or an old table top that have then squegee out and then lay it into place and roll the bubbles out. It gves me the (for lack of a better term) the most dry and clean lay-up.

16. Collapse Details

A while back people would laugh when they saw my Chopper Gun that was Until the Carbon fiber tow was spotted going to the gun,Then the snickering stopped.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.