1. Collapse Details
    Machine shop costs
    Just curious.
    About how much would one expect to pay to have a new BBC block decked, cylinders bored and honed, soft plugs, bearings, you name it. Pistons fitted. The whole enchilada that a machine shop would do with new parts.

Just looking for some additional education.

Thanks.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

2. Collapse Details

Your gonna see numbers all over the place. Obviously an expert experienced machinist who is geared mainly towards performance engine building is going to cost more than a general shop that builds industrial parts.

3. Collapse Details

ballpark?
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

4. Collapse Details

Here are rough numbers, a few years old;

1. Hot tank block, overbore and hone; $250
    2. Deck Block: $200
    3. Align Hone Mains: $200
    4. Resize rods, bush and R&R pistons: $320
    5. Balance Rotating Assy: $275
    6. Micro Polish Crank: $60
    7. Bearings -
    Mains: $100
    Rods: $95
    Cam: $26
    8. Brass Plug Kit: $20
    9. Rings: $290
    10: Head Gaskets, Cometic: $300

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    ballpark?
    Come to the race and there will be all kinds of engine builders there to ask.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Here are rough numbers, a few years old;

1. Hot tank block, overbore and hone; $250
    2. Deck Block: $200
    3. Align Hone Mains: $200
    4. Resize rods, bush and R&R pistons: $320
    5. Balance Rotating Assy: $275
    6. Micro Polish Crank: $60
    7. Bearings -
    Mains: $100
    Rods: $95
    Cam: $26
    8. Brass Plug Kit: $20
    9. Rings: $290
    10: Head Gaskets, Cometic: $300
    Thanks very much.
    I just needed something to get my expectations in line.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Your gonna see numbers all over the place. Obviously an expert experienced machinist who is geared mainly towards performance engine building is going to cost more than a general shop that builds industrial parts.
    Understood.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    X2, and really spend some time researching if you don't know them, cause there are a lot of people out there that will screw you over way too quick.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by YankeY View Post
    X2, and really spend some time researching if you don't know them, cause there are a lot of people out there that will screw you over way too quick.
    Agree. Great advice.
    That's not the issue here. No problem there... just doing a little research on what the ranges are out there these days. Even if a trusted friend is doing the work.... I want to know what is fair. Just researching. I don't want to take advantage, as I also do want to get gouged. Just checking.

Thanks for the responses. Totally understand the broad range thing.

10. Collapse Details

Fund,

Those figures I gave are what I paid a few years ago and the work was done by a machine shop who does a majority of machine work for some very well known marine builders in NJ. This same Machine shop has been doing my machine work for the past 10+ years.

Prices may have gone up since then but they should give you a ballpark.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Fund,

Those figures I gave are what I paid a few years ago and the work was done by a machine shop who does a majority of machine work for some very well known marine builders in NJ. This same Machine shop has been doing my machine work for the past 10+ years.

Prices may have gone up since then but they should give you a ballpark.
    It was just the ticket. I just wanted to get my expectations in line with what's going on out there. Ballpark was perfect.

Thanks.

12. Collapse Details

It depends on what you're looking for. If you want to do the basic machine work and slop it together, add a couple hundred in assembly. If you want a full blueprint assembly, that's going to entail those parts being dry-assembled at least several times.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It depends on what you're looking for. If you want to do the basic machine work and slop it together, add a couple hundred in assembly. If you want a full blueprint assembly, that's going to entail those parts being dry-assembled at least several times.
    I agree with Chris, this will add significantly to the cost and it takes a long time! Last engines I helped match weights within 1/2 gram for each piston and then smoothed all sharp edges, it took a LONG time! Gotta add in a bunch of other stuff such as filling ring gaps, crankshaft end-play etc. I group that all under assembly and that's where your engine builder really shines!

For instance; When I ask my machine shop (Rogers Speed Shop) they will give me matched bearings for my application when cutting or polishing a crank but we still have to measure clearances and mock it up.