Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    So, reach a comprimise. To get a world championship, you need at least two other competitors. Otherwise it's a ????? fastest lap award or something.
    Well,,,that kind of would be unfair too.
    I got my National championship last year,,,with almost not racing anybody.
    I am proud of it ( in a way ) but it was not my fault that the other boats did not show up to the races and i did.

I KNOW FOR SURE SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE.
    And i don't think its an org. problem ,,,,i think its US ....THE RACERS THAT NEED TO CHANGE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was referring to world championship. I think to get a national championship it takes more than one race weekend.

I'm just listening and throwing stuff out there.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Competitive sailing is not interesting unless you are a sailor. It is hard to understand. It is far from shore. It is less dramatic than a close chess match (great if you're one of the players, or the parent of one of the players, a real snoozer). It makes for pretty lame TV.

So why does it get televised in such a big way? I have no idea. I suspect the TV ratings are, on the whole, abysmal. (I've tried to find them but can't and need to get back to work.)

It is one of life's greatest mysteries. Whoever asked that question ... you got me there.

I just don't know.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The ratings for America's cup are usually great for the possible market share.

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    The ratings for America's cup are usually great for the possible market share.
    It's like competitive speed skating...nobody watches it except every 4th year at the Olympics......

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    It's like competitive speed skating...nobody watches it except every 4th year at the Olympics......

T2x
    Good point. Been waiting for you to weigh in.

I'm hoping for everyone to identify the strengths of each era first.

Then, the demise of each era and the root causes.

Then, get it right, one thing at a time.....

Not really hoping for much, am I.

7. Collapse Details

I have been a fan of Offshore Racing since the mid 80's. Just about the time the cat boats (gentry, cougar, skater 24's) came to being.
    I think we (they) the sanction bodies made a mistake when they did away with Factory 1 and Factory 2 classes. I know the fleets were huge and maybe too big to handle on some of the "newer, more spectator acessable courses". But it was great racing and a real team race from the boat builder to the rigger to the shore crew to the throttle man and driver. You had to keep your equipment together and ease the boat through crap water in order to win.
    Maybe if they had a class that was too big they could run qaulifers on Saturday or Sunday morning to thin the feild to an acceptable level.
    The old Class V single or twin OB on a v hull 24 ft or shorter took a lot less $ to run and a steady throttle hand to keep the wet bits in the water as well.
    Just my 02 cents

8. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayfan View Post
    I have been a fan of Offshore Racing since the mid 80's. Just about the time the cat boats (gentry, cougar, skater 24's) came to being.
    I think we (they) the sanction bodies made a mistake when they did away with Factory 1 and Factory 2 classes. I know the fleets were huge and maybe too big to handle on some of the "newer, more spectator acessable courses". But it was great racing and a real team race from the boat builder to the rigger to the shore crew to the throttle man and driver. You had to keep your equipment together and ease the boat through crap water in order to win.
    Maybe if they had a class that was too big they could run qaulifers on Saturday or Sunday morning to thin the feild to an acceptable level.
    The old Class V single or twin OB on a v hull 24 ft or shorter took a lot less $ to run and a steady throttle hand to keep the wet bits in the water as well.
    Just my 02 cents
    You got it. What's not to love about this?...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img006a.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayfan View Post
    Just my 02 cents
    They are currently facing the same issue in X-Cat overseas. 26 boats in the last race I believe, one class. Over $1 million prize money for the one race.....

And 10 boats in the last P1 race I believe.

And we can't work it out?

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    You got it. What's not to love about this?...
    Love that pic . Is Jim, Mobilemercman, in there somewhere?

11. Collapse Details

I am not trying to be the voice of doom here, but the overseas offshore racing picture isn't as pretty as you might think.

UIM Class 1 has been struggling economically for years (that came to me from one of the leading, long-time throttle men on the circuit), and without its uber-wealthy (and unfailingly enthusiastic) owner pumping in cash, Powerboat P1 would look a whole lot different than it does now. It may even be ... invisible. Both circuits are far from economically self-sufficient, meaning profitable to the point of self-sustainability.

I am not making up this stuff. I am not saying it can't change. I'm just saying ... it is.

Here's what I can tell you, firsthand because I've been there, that UIM and Powerboat P1 do extremely well that their counterparts in the U.S. do not: They make the race weekend into an event, a carnival of sorts. The racing is just part of a much bigger show.

I don't know exactly what that translates to in terms of "real" spectators, but I have never seen crowds for an offshore race like those I saw in Norway for a UIM Class 1 race and in Malta for a Powerboat P1 race.

Like it or not, offshore powerboat racing is, and always will be, a fringe sport. Way, way cool and spectacular, but fringe. Also, as I hope I managed to convey in my column, it will be always be around. And there's really nothing wrong with that.

12. Collapse Details

Matt.... Your column or the racing?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Matt.... Your column or the racing?
    I'd say there's nothing wrong with Matt's column or his follow-up research. The facts are what they are and enthusiasts don't always want to hear less-than-positive facts about their hobby. Offshore racing always seems to go through cyclical ups and downs. Every few years, it peaks with big fleets and deep-pocketed owners who come in with plans to change the world. Everyone gets excited and then a couple of the big teams decide they've had enough and things quiet down until a new guy comes along. It's just the way it is.

As for Daredevil's statement about the racers changing the sport, that's always been the problem. The racers shouldn't be governing the sport they compete in. The France family doesn't compete in NASCAR Sprint Cup and Tony George doesn't drive an Indy Car. If you want to be on the racecourse, buy a boat, set it up according to class rules and go racing. If you want to be part of the organization that establishes the rules, governs the sport and stages events, get out of the cockpit and be a race official. You can't do both.

14. Collapse Details

I know some people hate hearing this because they have to take responsibility for the outcome, however, the LLC was moving in the right direction. We had a major series sponsor, and a number of other excellent industry sponsors, 80+ boats at every event, several large fleet classes, two hours of TV at every event on Speed, growing TV audiences, large crowds everywhere, solid press coverage, and growing revenues. Then Mauf, Teague, Whittier, Abrams, Chastelet, et. al, the so-called rich excellent businessmen, and Mercury, decided they could do better and Poof, away it all went. I do not think the sport will ever recover mainly because there are not enough deep pocket idiots left in the world willing to do what it would take to breathe life back into it.

15. Collapse Details

Thanks, Eric. I am so not down on the sport, as you know. I want it to succeed. It's just that after observing offshore racing for almost 15 years now, I have what I consider to be realistic expectations.

When I started writing for Powerboat and you were my editor, I didn't necessarily "want" to like offshore racing. But it grew on me and while I'd never want to do it myself (forget the inherent danger, I can't take the beating) I am flat out in awe of those who do it well. Like you, I've been lucky enough to work with guys like John Tomlinson and Jerry Gilbreath and they operate at a level most of us can't imagine.

Mike A. and the LLC had some great momentum in 1999 and 2000. Certainly, the robust economy, and the foundation work of Gene Whipp, didn't hurt. But to be fair to Mike and the rest of his crew, there was more to it than that. They did some things very, very well.

I do, however, think it provides a less than complete picture to lay total blame at the feet of several individuals for the demise. I won't argue it here, but over the years, Mike, you and I have spoken many times. And as I've I understood your position, you believe there were plenty of mistakes made on all sides, including your own. (Recall our very long interview in which you said you wished you had approached Reggie Fountain differently.) Again, no "argument" here. Just a point of clarification.

And Brownie ... I thought you were out of this industry. Damn, now I have to keep my facts straight and my head down.

16. Collapse Details

Hope all is well Matt. I never intended to imply that you were down on the sport at all, but you do sound like me when I decided to stop covering offshore. Every year I would start the season hoping this would be the time when all the arguing stops, everyone gets together and the sport grows. Instead, the annual political battles would ensue and the splintering would remain or grow worse. That's the problem when team/boat owners have so much influence that if they threaten to leave the sport unless they get their way, the officials bend to their will.

I was in awe of what all the teams could and would do in the boats, especially after having experienced what they go through personally. And I can tell you, there's nothing that beats the feeling when the race is over and you're the one with the checkered flag, but the sport is what it is. It's an amazing test of man and machine against the elements that will never be of interest to the masses, any more than off-road rally or desert racing is.

People look at offshore racing and think, "Those guys are nuts." I look at skydivers and think those guys are crazy. Every weekend when you'd come back to the office and regale us with your tales of plunging out of a plane over the desert and showed the photos, I was shocked at how you could be that comfortable jumping out of a plane. I guess the point is, regardless of what extreme endeavor is your pleasure, to each his own and everyone enjoy. Wow, that's mighty enlightened for this cranky old man.

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericc View Post
    That's the problem when team/boat owners have so much influence that if they threaten to leave the sport unless they get their way, the officials bend to their will.
    To me, THAT's where the various officials need to stand their ground & call the "racers" bluff.

Tell the ones that "threaten" to leave, to haul ass.

The ones that truly love to race aren't going anywhere, and will adapt to any changes needed to make the overall sport better. The ones that actually DO leave, aren't the right kind of "racers" or "posers" that the sport can count on for future progression anyway.

Make the rules, and STICK to them. No race team/racer is so big in this sport that they should be able to manipulate the way the whole sport is ran.

Hypothetically: If anyone was THAT big, it would mean the sport has become big enough to create & market a personality or team of that popularity. The sport isn't there yet, so neither is "Mr Threaten everyone with leaving", therefore take a seat, or take a hike.

Like you guys have said, there will likely always be some kind of offshore racing. Putting your feet down with a firm set of rules, may anger a few, and there MAY even be a few that DO leave, but there will always be another guy right behind them ready to race, and do it by the organizations rules.

18. Collapse Details
    Thoughts on the Overseas versus US Racing scenes
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me that the overseas guys have managed to learn some lessons, and then created another problem. No doubt, there are fewer classes in the overseas' series. That's a good thing. Unfortunately, there are too many series (UIM class 1-5/P1/XCat). So, they sort of cured a headache with an upset stomach. So far it all looks rosy, but wait and see. It's only a matter of time before these series become detrimental to each other.

The reality is the sport has gone backwards since the UIM/APBA was displaced as the only sanctioning body. History has taught us some simple facts. If you give racers a "choice", they will no doubt opt for the path that is least helpful to the general good of the sport. If you give wealthy racers a "choice", they will choose the most dramatic, colorful, and expensive path that is least helpful to the general good of the sport.

A major series sponsor with a competent TV package, backing a simple, understandable, cash paying, class structure (with no "exceptions, compromises, or side deals") is the only thing that will bring the racers into line. Until we solve the problem of multiple series, classes and sanctioning bodies, we cannot attract that major series sponsor.

If my head was betting my own cash, I would set the "over/under" of the sports survival at 5 years....... and I'd take the under. On the other hand, my heart prays that the "leaders" of the sport stop patting themselves on the back, take their heads out of the sand, acknowledge their delusions of grandeur, and, without compromise, pursue a course of unification and simplification.

One other thing in this endeavour...always remember.....it's not about you.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I'm trying not to say anything negative about anybody, anything, any venue, period.

If the group of guys on here who have been involved in the positives put all of their heads together like this, and lay those positives out, and try to figure out EVERYBODY'S opinions why they were positives. The sport will go a long way toward those great eras. You guys know, I'm just trying to figure it out.

Matt, I currently disagree with some of your conclusions. But, I don't know enough to debate it, and certainly don't have the experience you do. I will say on one hand you say it was a going, and growing, concern with Mike and group. On the other you say it is what it is. I see that as you saying Mike had it going towards what it could be and something changed.

In business I always tell every company I review to forget about what went wrong, who to blame, CYA, and any other negatives cause I don't care. I say figure out everything that worked, and then see what, if any, of those things you are currently not doing........

Make sense?

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    One other thing in this endeavour...always remember.....it's not about you.

T2x
    For The Love Of The Sport.......