Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
    I think the term "poker run" intimidates a lot of people with smaller boats.
    I am so glad I never felt intimidated when I started Poker Running... Who knows what I would be doing today had I been.

I know I showed up to New York Hudson run 2 years in a row and finished.

I went to my 1st run with the NJPPC with this boat too and was never so welcomed. The guys with the BIG BOATS never knocked me for having a 13 footer. Maybe because some of them watched me leave Barnegat Inlet while others turned around.

Eventually I stepped up to a 28 footer with twin outboards that had enough juice in them to keep up with the crowd...

NJPPC is not about who is the fastest or whose got the largest, it is about having a great time enjoying the company and the sport of recreational boating..

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    NJPPC is not about who is the fastest or whose got the largest, it is about having a great time enjoying the company and the sport of recreational boating..
    I'm sure that's why their runs rate so high on people's lists in terms of "must do" -- I will defintely be looking to head out there next year, after my financials shape up. This summer not being so great...

Another way for owners of smaller boats to get involved in Poker Runs is to volunteer as a safety boat or Marshal boat. They are always needed, and it's a great way to see what goes on and enjoy some action while providing a much-needed service.

Any "attitude" disappears quickly when some guy on a big boat breaks something and has to get towed back in by a guy on a smaller boat - and it does happen.

3. Collapse Details

In Fond Remembrance. StraightJacket's Avatar
    I think alot of what happens is the guys with the smaller Boats think they will be looked down upon. As most of the people with the larger boats have been doing longer and know each other better. People with smaller Craft are usually new and don't know how to approach the BIG GUNS. That is when the Big Guns need to take things into there own hands and welcome the smaller guys into it. Not just at Poker runs but out on the water also.

When we put on our run in Chicago we had guys from a 24 Baja to the big Skaters, and Nortecs. We never had any problems with attitudes. Our only problem was the bar tab at the end of the nite, those Dam E-Dockers.

We ran a pretty cool old Scarab 30 and people loved to watch us run the snot out of it. So now we are building another 30 footer with a healthy power set up to do fun runs, poker runs and shoot-outs. I feel very confident with it and talking to anyone on the docks.

Long and short of it just make them feel welcome.

4. Collapse Details

Registered
    I see one problem with the class split by speeds. If the lower class is set at a max. speed of 50-60 mph people will think they need to run that speed to keep up, not be last, save face.
    Also there probably are a significant number of boaters with offshore type boat who have wives ( like mine ) or family that would enjoy doing the run at 35-45 mph.
    ed

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TCEd View Post
    ...Also there probably are a significant number of boaters with offshore type boat who have wives ( like mine ) or family that would enjoy doing the run at 35-45 mph.
    ed
    You should hear mine - and all I have to do is just get on plane and I start hearing it...

6. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by TCEd View Post
    I see one problem with the class split by speeds. If the lower class is set at a max. speed of 50-60 mph people will think they need to run that speed to keep up, not be last, save face.
    Also there probably are a significant number of boaters with offshore type boat who have wives ( like mine ) or family that would enjoy doing the run at 35-45 mph.
    ed
    That is not an issue with the NJPPC. We start with a pace boat to keep everyone together. Once everyone is on plane they can go the speed they feel comfortable with. We then all regroup at the next card stop and do not move on until everyone is accounted for. This helps us also know if someone broke down or not and if we need to go find them.

7. Collapse Details

The biggest difference in big boats vs. small boats I like to think is chips/beer vs. wine/cheese. Just look at OPA vs. SBI/OSS. A lot of times I'll run with some of the high dollar boats and the group wants to stop and eat somewhere with AC, plush hotels etc. etc.. I just like to hang out and would rather sit outside with my friends, enjoying the weather.

In my opinion, you don't need anything fancy for the smaller guys, in fact I believe they prefer it!! Have a fun-run or poker run with a BBQ on the beach some where and they might love it! Actually, I'd probably prefer that as well!

8. Collapse Details

I'd say water conditions keep me as a spectator with my 22'. The bay can get pretty rough at times with all of the boat wakes and it takes the fun out of it if I have to constantly throttle down for big wakes. As it is right now I pick and choose the times I want to go out so I don't get beat up.

P.S. I saw some of the ocean runners from the beach in Seaside Park. I was half asleep and heard the rumble of big blocks and popped my head up. It was awesome to see them run.

9. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by jvcobra View Post

P.S. I saw some of the ocean runners from the beach in Seaside Park. I was half asleep and heard the rumble of big blocks and popped my head up. It was awesome to see them run.
    Actually I was doing a photo shoot right off of the Seaside Pier on Saturday. So if you were wondering why a few kept running in circles, that was why...

10. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post

In my opinion, you don't need anything fancy for the smaller guys, in fact I believe they prefer it!! Have a fun-run or poker run with a BBQ on the beach some where and they might love it! Actually, I'd probably prefer that as well!
    Yes Frank,Our Barnegat Bay Run is set up for just that. Last year we had a BBQ on the beach at Jenkinson's North. Everyone loved it ! Unfortunately we could not get the date this year. We still had a BBQ, but with everywhere else booked, we ended up at the Toms River Country Club.

Still very cool spot! Just not near the water unless you go out on the green...

11. Collapse Details

Yes Frank,Our Barnegat Bay Run is set up for just that. Last year we had a BBQ on the beach at Jenkinson's North. Everyone loved it ! Unfortunately we could not get the date this year. We still had a BBQ, but with everywhere else booked, we ended up at the Toms River Country Club.

Still very cool spot! Just not near the water unless you go out on the green...
    I hear ya Tim, just wish you guys were a little closer to me.

I was supposed to go to the run but we didn't make it down Saturday because there was a fuel spill at the marina @ 1 am. But I did go surfing in the AM and out on the OL that afternoon, good swell!http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...0&postcount=66

Speaking of BBQ's, the beach bash on Sandy Hook is the 15th. Round up the NJPPC boys and head up the coast!

I may take a run to Long Island this weekend as well, can meet you guys at the hook.
    Last edited by Geronimo36; 08-03-2009 at 05:23 PM.

12. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES

Speaking of BBQ's, the beach bash on Sandy Hook is the 15th. Round up the NJPPC boys and head up the coast!

I may take a run to Long Island this weekend as well, can meet you guys at the hook.
    Thanks for the invite Frank, but after what became of my season so far, the next 2 weeks needs to be dedicated to some quality family time and it will be up to them on what we do.

Who would have thought I would have spent a week in Michigan this summer?

I was going to take it easy this summer.
    Have a look at this schedule and you can see it was nothing but easy.

http://sharkey-images.blogspot.com/

Drove over 2000 miles last week alone....
    I sure hope to see some kinda of return from it...

13. Collapse Details

Thanks for the invite Frank, but after what became of my season so far, the next 2 weeks needs to be dedicated to some quality family time and it will be up to them on what we do.

Who would have thought I would have spent a week in Michigan this summer?

I was going to take it easy this summer.
    Have a look at this schedule and you can see it was nothing but easy.

Drove over 2000 miles last week alone....
    I sure hope to see some kinda of return from it...

Yeah Tim, there's no way my wife would stand for a schedule like that... sounds like it's in your best interest to lay low.

I haven't run the boat in two weeks and it's time for me to get out there! Now, if I could only get a sitter this weekend that would be a bonus. It doesn't look like it's going to happen so I'll have to make some alternate boating plans.

14. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Yeah Tim, there's no way my wife would stand for a schedule like that...
    I am starting to not like a schedule like that....

If I don't turn a profit after all of this it might be time to move onto something else...

15. Collapse Details

Personally, I get out during the week when I am in town and the water is usually perfect, wind generated waves are usually no problem and there are few big cruisers and such to chew the water up. I'd love to see a run during a weekday sometime.

16. Collapse Details

If I don't turn a profit after all of this it might be time to move onto something else...
    If it's any consolation, you're doing the right thing and the best to you! Although she wasn't charging, I think Dee burned out on it.

17. Collapse Details

Anyway... on the subject of getting boats under 30 to participate....

I am in favor of an under 30 class.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Anyway... on the subject of getting boats under 30 to participate....

I am in favor of an under 30 class.
    Not too obvious

19. Collapse Details

maybe a few NJPPC lake events to attract the smaller guys?

the lk george run seems to attract a diverse crowd. then the Donzi rendevious as well!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    Not too obvious
    I think that my boat will hold its own with other small, light boats with smaller power.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.