Thread: Updated status

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I have no plans this weekend,,,,, lemme know !!!!!!!

2. Collapse Details
    He wont
    Quote Originally Posted by OBNOXUS View Post
    I have no plans this weekend,,,,, lemme know !!!!!!!
    Ask for help Just show up or call he is always happy that way.

3. Collapse Details

Sounds like its coming along nicely! Can't wait to see it on da water!

4. Collapse Details
    OH Boy !
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Well...Mild Thunder Joe stopped by yesterday to check out the progress, so Brian promptly put him to work. I showed up later in the afternoon, and we proceeded to set up the "furniture"...drilled all the holes for the bolster bases after meticulously determining where the seats should be. Then, we corrected the 1/4" disparity in the vertical orientation of the port-side drive by removing the inside transom plate and wallering out the hole where the plate was hanging up on a stud. Bingo...went right to where it was supposed to be.

If anyone is gonna be around this weekend and wants to maybe help swing an engine in...let scarrab30 know...I'll be sleddin...
    DID You Guys ever set those holes up things wet like Clock Work! Today was a wash every hole is right by a stringer can't get chitt done till Pops makes new plates for the bottom of the deck so seats can be fasten down Correctly , and where worried about people and there Phrases! thank the guy from down the street to show us a better way to "get r dunn" ! always new the thinken guys were worth something. Thanks Sam!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    DID You Guys ever set those holes up things wet like Clock Work! Today was a wash every hole is right by a stringer can't get chitt done till Pops makes new plates for the bottom of the deck so seats can be fasten down Correctly , and where worried about people and there Phrases! thank the guy from down the street to show us a better way to "get r dunn" ! always new the thinken guys were worth something. Thanks Sam!
    No go on the glassed in inserts? I do like the thru bolting better, but Im pretty sure any cig, fountain, formula or donzi uses glassed in threaded inserts to secure the bolsters to the floor. Wasn't really many options to access the bottom side of floor, especially on the sides closest to the gunnels. Either way keep us posted!

Whats tomorrows plan??

6. Collapse Details

talked to SR. this afternoon,,,,,was in bed sick all day......nut serts are not for seats.

Im gonna head there in the am,,,,,I have a couple ideas for the seats

7. Collapse Details

Theres no doubt in my mind thru bolting is the best. However, I really cannot see how you can access underneath the outer side. Even if a deck plate access panel was installed under the bolster, the outer stringers would still be in the way. I think i'd take a epoxied in stainless insert over some builders who use wood screws into the floor. Even most of them seem to hold up well until the wood begins to deteriorate in the floor many years later. I found some stainless inserts that actually thread into plastic/wood kinda like a helicoil. I would bet those things once epoxied in would hold real well.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...any-ideas.html

8. Collapse Details

The guy down the block "Sam I think" had show pops how to get it with some kind of way with a small plate under the bottom of the floor , hell we left there again after 5pm

9. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Theres no doubt in my mind thru bolting is the best. However, I really cannot see how you can access underneath the outer side. Even if a deck plate access panel was installed under the bolster, the outer stringers would still be in the way. I think i'd take a epoxied in stainless insert over some builders who use wood screws into the floor. Even most of them seem to hold up well until the wood begins to deteriorate in the floor many years later. I found some stainless inserts that actually thread into plastic/wood kinda like a helicoil. I would bet those things once epoxied in would hold real well.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...any-ideas.html
    If the woold goes , the inserts won't hold either !!!!!!

SS -SCREWS and 5200 on the pre drilled holes and screws !!!!!!!!

That is the way its done 99% by factory !!!

I never ripped a seat out of a boat , and i stuffed a 33 @ 70 once ( happend in 1999, in a 1990 boat ), the bulkheads broke loose , the seats are still there today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my 2 c , don't make it harder then it really is...........

I know all of u want to help SR, but i laso think the more cooks stirr the more screw up its gonna be .

Don't confuse SR to much.

Ohhh, and please don't see this as an atack......i am just saying this because i have been there !!!!
    Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 01-31-2010 at 09:33 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Problem with nut zerts is once everything loosens up from normal use, then the zerts loose there grip and everything just spins,,,,THEN WHAT !!!!!????

11. Collapse Details

Make matching " sister" plates for the mounting flanges and sandwich the floor between them. No nutserts. drill and tap the plate or tack weld (with a healthy tack) matching stainless steel nuts on them.

Roger

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 1 View Post
    Make matching " sister" plates for the mounting flanges and sandwich the floor between them. No nutserts. drill and tap the plate or tack weld (with a healthy tack) matching stainless steel nuts on them.

Roger
    EXACTALLY !!!!!!!!!! and tack whatever we need to it to be able to reach to where the seat base is

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OBNOXUS View Post
    EXACTALLY !!!!!!!!!! and tack whatever we need to it to be able to reach to where the seat base is
    ....or find out which "crew member" has the most "spider monkey" like arms and make him (or her) hold the plate while someone else gets it started.

14. Collapse Details

Roger
    That would be awesome. Its hard to picture, but i guess i can try to explain.

The cockpit floor is one piece, including the gunnels. There is no fuel tank access panel or anything like that. From the rear (bilge), the bulkhead runs all the way to the top of the back seat. From the cabin, you can see between the stringers to the bottom side of where the inside bolster plate screws would go, probably about 4FT or so back. The outer side, due to a bulkhead between the hullside and outer stringer, you cannot see, maybe a octopus may have a chance at accessing the bottom side.

Then there was the issue of the bolsters physical location in the cockpit. With the current bases, (which are AWESOME, Great job on those) the seats ideal position, pretty much puts them right over the stringers.

15. Collapse Details

Since we were talking about nutserts, check these out. According to their chart, a 8mm self tapping threaded quicksert, installed in fiberglass, shows 21000 Newtons of axial pullout force. That comes to 4720 lbs if my math is correct. A 6mm insert, is about 12000 Newtons, or 2697 lbs.

I would like to think that 15+ of those installed in each bolster would be plenty!

http://www2.boellhoff.com/web/centres.nsf/Files/AMTEC_GB_0200/$FILE/AMTEC_GB_0200.pdf

16. Collapse Details

That would be awesome. Its hard to picture, but i guess i can try to explain.

The cockpit floor is one piece, including the gunnels. There is no fuel tank access panel or anything like that. From the rear (bilge), the bulkhead runs all the way to the top of the back seat. From the cabin, you can see between the stringers to the bottom side of where the inside bolster plate screws would go, probably about 4FT or so back. The outer side, due to a bulkhead between the hullside and outer stringer, you cannot see, maybe a octopus may have a chance at accessing the bottom side.

Then there was the issue of the bolsters physical location in the cockpit. With the current bases, (which are AWESOME, Great job on those) the seats ideal position, pretty much puts them right over the stringers.
    Thank you for the compliment. Now, is the mounting flange in question for the seat base right over the stringer or off to the side?

17. Collapse Details

Thank you for the compliment. Now, is the mounting flange in question for the seat base right over the stringer or off to the side?
    With the seat positioned, the flange is pretty much on top of the stringer.

18. Collapse Details

http://www2.boellhoff.com/web/centres.nsf/Files/AMTEC_GB_0200/$FILE/AMTEC_GB_0200.pdf
    Uploaded!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AMTEC_GB_0200.pdf  

19. Collapse Details

With the seat positioned, the flange is pretty much on top of the stringer.
    A couple of different ideas come to mind. With the one that you can access the back of, the sister plate would work. For the one over the stringer, I guess that you could shoot some screws into it after sealing them real good. Or, you could cut out a section of the floor slightly larger than the mounting flange and mount a piece of stainless or aluminm angle to the side of the stringer so it reaches back over the top and use the horizonal surface as a sister plate . After the sister plate/angle was finnished, that floor section could be glassed back in and the bolts would pass through it on their way to the angle.

20. Collapse Details

went by ther today and no one was there ..... where ya at Sr. !!!!???