Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Carnage Continues,Tear down Complete
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So,I did not wait for my Rebuilder to send a guy,Long story, I pulled the starboard head (leaking one) first, All the head bolts inside the valve cover torqued tight, the exterior eight bolts very loose compaired to the internals, Pulled the port head ..ALL BOLTS INTERNAL AND EXTERIOR TORQUED EQUALLY? HEAD gaskets are FEL-PRO MARINE HI -Performance!, [i]Do ya think he just missed torquing the outer bolts?? I noticed on these gaskets that the upper water passages from the block are only a 1/4 " hole, this blocks the water passage 90% ?? Engine is a GEN VI, 502/540 Are these the correct head gaskets ????? I cleaned all the snots out of the cylinders and spun the motor by hand, rolled over smooth and easy...Pics attached..thanks Dave..I need volunteers to help re-assemble and set the Vaves..aaa ..Tim..SKramer !!
    Attached Thumbnails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0428 (Small).jpg   100_0429 (Small).jpg   100_0430 (Small).jpg  

2. Collapse Details

I've never seen a whole row of head bolts loosen up.

The FelPro gaskets require a retorque after bringing the engine up to operating temperature. If you don't they'll most likely leak. They put the little instruction slip in every head gasket package. But for used gasket surfaces they seal about the best.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've never seen a whole row of head bolts loosen up.

The FelPro gaskets require a retorque after bringing the engine up to operating temperature. If you don't they'll most likely leak. They put the little instruction slip in every head gasket package. But for used gasket surfaces they seal about the best.
    What I am saying is that they were never torqued on assembly..missed them I think

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like the reasonable conclusion.

When you say loose, like you could have removed them with a regular length 3/8 drive socket wrench?

And if so, the entire head would not have been torqued because of the torque sequence they would have followed.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SCARAB3DMC View Post
    What I am saying is that they were never torqued on assembly..missed them I think
    I agree. No way those would have come loose.

I was adding that the FelPro requires retorque ALSO.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Sounds like the reasonable conclusion.

When you say loose, like you could have removed them with a regular length 3/8 drive socket wrench?

And if so, the entire head would not have been torqued because of the torque sequence they would have followed.
    Yes easly removed with a 3/8 ratchet. now the other side NO.

7. Collapse Details

Waterford Mi., Lk. St. Clair and Lk. Erie
    I have never retorqued Fel Pro head gaskets and I have put a lot of them on. I torque to just over 80lbs because I know I'm not going back. Never had one loosen up. I have taken head bolts out with a 3/8 ratchet and a deep socket. Couldn't find the 1/2 deep socket that fit and I was in a hurry. It took a big hammer and the socket broke near the end of the job. If any headbolts were that loose, they were not torqued right in the first place.
    Big boats rule!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PatriYacht View Post
    I have never retorqued Fel Pro head gaskets and I have put a lot of them on. I torque to just over 80lbs because I know I'm not going back. Never had one loosen up. I have taken head bolts out with a 3/8 ratchet and a deep socket. Couldn't find the 1/2 deep socket that fit and I was in a hurry. It took a big hammer and the socket broke near the end of the job. If any headbolts were that loose, they were not torqued right in the first place.
    PatriYacht, you know we're going to get slayed for admitting it but I do the same thing most of the time... I usually go with 78 ft. lbs, they call for 75 and I do it in 3 steps.

Scarab, what head gasket number is that? Should be a 17207 I believe for Gen VI.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    PatriYacht, you know we're going to get slayed for admitting it but I do the same thing most of the time... I usually go with 78 ft. lbs, they call for 75 and I do it in 3 steps.

Scarab, what head gasket number is that? Should be a 17207 I believe for Gen VI.
    Fel pro # 17048 Hi-performance Marine 502/540 genVI

10. Collapse Details

Wow Dave. Sorry to hear that. That's a huge mistake if he forgot to torque the head bolts. In fact, I can't think of a bigger blunder. Can you say "Engine Building 101". Have you talked to the builder?

11. Collapse Details

I have ran them without a retorque without problems, but I usually do. I think felpro says for "racing applications" they need re torqued. Hell, I was helping a buddy put his mill together and he already had the heads sitting on the block when I got there and the bolts finger tight. We proceeded to torque them down and right after we got finished I looked over and seen the head dowels sitting on the bench. Anyway, we pulled the heads back off and re-used the same gaskets but torqued them to 78 ft/lbs. The engine is still running fine with around 300 hours with no re torque.

12. Collapse Details

Waterford Mi., Lk. St. Clair and Lk. Erie
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post

I'll be ok. It don't hurt that much.
    Big boats rule!

13. Collapse Details

Right or wrong, Ive never retorqued either. In my own disturbed mind I didnt think it was a good idea to move the head bolts that have sealer on them due to the water passages they thread into on Mark 4 blocks. I use the 17040 gasket on my Mark 4 454's. oops 17040, that right.
    Last edited by ROGUE; 07-21-2009 at 12:19 PM.

14. Collapse Details

Some good info here; http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s...6&chapter=7174

048 is right gasket, sorry. 207 is a set.
    Last edited by Geronimo36; 07-21-2009 at 11:48 AM.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BajaIceBreaker View Post
    Wow Dave. Sorry to hear that. That's a huge mistake if he forgot to torque the head bolts. In fact, I can't think of a bigger blunder. Can you say "Engine Building 101". Have you talked to the builder?
    Hey Joe, OH yeah I talked to the builder.. thats why I am doing it myself, with a little help from my friends ! thanks guys..

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SCARAB3DMC View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So,I did not wait for my Rebuilder to send a guy,Long story, I pulled the starboard head (leaking one) first, All the head bolts inside the valve cover torqued tight, the exterior eight bolts very loose compaired to the internals, Pulled the port head ..ALL BOLTS INTERNAL AND EXTERIOR TORQUED EQUALLY? HEAD gaskets are FEL-PRO MARINE HI -Performance!, [i]Do ya think he just missed torquing the outer bolts?? I noticed on these gaskets that the upper water passages from the block are only a 1/4 " hole, this blocks the water passage 90% ?? Engine is a GEN VI, 502/540 Are these the correct head gaskets ????? I cleaned all the snots out of the cylinders and spun the motor by hand, rolled over smooth and easy...Pics attached..thanks Dave..I need volunteers to help re-assemble and set the Vaves..aaa ..Tim..SKramer !!
    Attached Thumbnails
    Holy crap Dave. This is not your summer.

I'm flying in Friday afternoon, and would give you a hand if I would be of any help.

17. Collapse Details

What kind of heads?

18. Collapse Details

I just cannot imagine how you miss ALL the lower bolts, especially when using a sequence, I do the normal torque as called for, no more, the threads can pull out of the block and BBC are known for that, I have inserts on a few of mine, they were helicoiled before I rebuilt them, I use a product called BIG SERT, it is a better way to do it.
    wish I was going to be around dave, I am leaving for the islands Thursday
    35 Cigarette Mistress

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MERPerformance View Post
    What kind of heads?
    Alum. Merlin style ARP I think..

20. Collapse Details

Full Force... see you at the islands? U going to PIB? BajaCleveland and I will both be there.