1. Collapse Details
    How is Gel Coat Applied?
    Had an idea the other night. My boat is older and has a glued in carprt floor in the cockpit. Under the carpet is what I would call "resin painted plywood". Is it possible to gel the floor to make it like most newer boats that have a snap in carpet or no carpet at all?

2. Collapse Details

Joey, look me up this weekend and take a look at the Lonseal flooring we have in the ATs. I think you will like it.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
    Joey, look me up this weekend and take a look at the Lonseal flooring we have in the ATs. I think you will like it.
    I second what Brian says, and you can get it in colors, installs like vinyl and lasts. call me bout the props...

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do you carpet over it Brian??
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

You can, but I don't. I like the Lonseal.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    definetly look into the Lonseal flooring. Cool stuff.

the gel wont last long on just the wood, you would need to lay some glass on it first.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

7. Collapse Details

Personal preference I guess, but most of the Lonseal I see is stained and dingy looking. And while those grooves give good traction, I think they trap dirt. Personally I like a good marine carpet, especially if you run barefoot.

To your original question, Gel is sprayed. There are gel coat specific production systems, but you can spray it with a hand-held gun. I've seen sprayed gel on floors then stippled with a mesh ball, giving it some gripping texture. You'd have to block the peaks off after it cures. If you take your time it can look pretty good. You can also mix in traction additives.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...pid=6835&PTECH

http://stores.infinityfrp.com/-strse...gun/Detail.bok

Gel is sort of like bondo. It consistes of a polymer (resin) and a filler (color). It really has no strength of it's own. And if you have flex, especially in corners. it's going to crack very quickly.

If the boat has "resin covered wood", you have a larger problem anyway. If they didn't put glass on the top of the floor, I'd bet they didn't put any on the bottom side either. Most likely they skipped the resin coat too. Before I went to alot of work on the top, I'd pull it and do it right. You'll be doing it in a few years anyway.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    If the boat has "resin covered wood", you have a larger problem anyway. If they didn't put glass on the top of the floor, I'd bet they didn't put any on the bottom side either. Most likely they skipped the resin coat too. Before I went to alot of work on the top, I'd pull it and do it right. You'll be doing it in a few years anyway.
    Copy that, Over.................

9. Collapse Details

Lonseal!!! Even though it can get a little dirty it's better than the work you'll have to do with the gel. If you just lay it down it will probably crack. Like Dave said, you need some glass.

My cockpit has glued down carpet and it can be hard to keep clean and if you want to clean it it's some what of a project. One of these years I intend on replacing it wish some lonseal and have a snap-in carpet made to go along. Also, if you get some new snap-in carpet ask the carpet maker to back the carpet with the new impact foam. It helps the feet and knees considerably in rough water!!!

10. Collapse Details

I have lonseal and then a snap in carpet over it, love both of them. after a few years the carpet is expendable, its just double protection and looks great.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I pretty sure it has fiberglass over the wood flooring. I replaced the glue in carpet a few years ago and I was using the "resin covered wood" as a reference for what it looked like. The flooring looked fine at that time. My boat being yellow black and white there's not alot of color options for carpet other than black. I don't mind the black but it's a pain to keep clean. I'll vacuum it before we go out and within an hour it's dirty again. After a weekend it looks pretty trashed.

It's and 89 Checkmate Convincor, maybe someone here knows how the floors were done back then....I was 20 and only dreaming of go-fasts back then.

Brain, I'll see you tomorrow and take a look.

12. Collapse Details

Same here.. I have to oxiclean mine every couple months....hard to keep clean and I hate dirty!