Thread: look at this...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    How do you convert a regular side by side to a stagger?
    You'd start by cutting out the engine room bulkhead and the cockpit floor. Then remove the tank and the stringers all the way forward to the cabin bulkhead. Then the transom. You'll need saddle tanks.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You'd start by cutting out the engine room bulkhead and the cockpit floor. Then remove the tank and the stringers all the way forward to the cabin bulkhead. Then the transom. You'll need saddle tanks.
    So the main stringers do need to be full length....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Jungle TG at Lake Cumberland marine stringer layout. Really it looks like just adding a stringer for the outer offshore mounts and the inner offshore mounts are modified to fit around the center stringer. And you wouldn't have the notch to contend with on the Flat Deck. If only I wasn't ballz deep in a rebuild myself....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07834.JPG   DSC07835.JPG   DSC07836.JPG  

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    If only I wasn't ballz deep in a rebuild myself....

I'm working on three at the moment.

But, an interesting project you can't lose money on always seems to find a home. And this may be one......

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Jungle TG at Lake Cumberland marine stringer layout. Really it looks like just adding a stringer for the outer offshore mounts and the inner offshore mounts are modified to fit around the center stringer. And you wouldn't have the notch to contend with on the Flat Deck. If only I wasn't ballz deep in a rebuild myself....
    So the engines and trans sit high enough to clear the existing stringers? Or they cut them down in height and added the far outside ones?

Tough to see what steps they went through.

6. Collapse Details

It would be hard to say until you actually saw the stringer layout in that Flat Deck, but it looks to me like the center stringer wouldn't need to be modified at all, the offshore mounts get cut-out a little bit and they have a little bit longer 'flange' on the outside of the mount to reach the outside stringer. The outside stringers look like they would sit between the stringer that runs under the motors and the outside offshore mount stringer in a side-by-side setup. I just think of the ease of maintenance a stagger would render over the side by side. With the transmissions its not too bad but I couldn't (don't want to) imagine trying to do anything on the backside of the motor in a twin-Bravo setup. Depending how far forward you had to move the engine room bulkhead I would think you could just have the belly-tanks cut down. Then also put some smaller saddle tanks in the engine room if need be.

Hell probably the most expensive part of it would be having the exhaust made

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    It would be hard to say until you actually saw the stringer layout in that Flat Deck, but it looks to me like the center stringer wouldn't need to be modified at all, the offshore mounts get cut-out a little bit and they have a little bit longer 'flange' on the outside of the mount to reach the outside stringer. The outside stringers look like they would sit between the stringer that runs under the motors and the outside offshore mount stringer in a side-by-side setup. I just think of the ease of maintenance a stagger would render over the side by side. With the transmissions its not too bad but I couldn't (don't want to) imagine trying to do anything on the backside of the motor in a twin-Bravo setup. Depending how far forward you had to move the engine room bulkhead I would think you could just have the belly-tanks cut down. Then also put some smaller saddle tanks in the engine room if need be.

Hell probably the most expensive part of it would be having the exhaust made
    You can always find good used exhaust to modify.....

8. Collapse Details

Couldn't make it out there this weekend. Pulled the motors out of my buddys boat Sat am and got that prepped for some stringer work. 2 cracked straingers in a 33 Powerplay. Hopefully I can get out to look at it one night this week after work.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    Couldn't make it out there this weekend. Pulled the motors out of my buddys boat Sat am and got that prepped for some stringer work. 2 cracked straingers in a 33 Powerplay. Hopefully I can get out to look at it one night this week after work.
    Dang, lot of us waiting to see if you come home with a new project.....

2 cracked stringers???? Any idea why/how?????

10. Collapse Details

So the main stringers do need to be full length....

You would want the two outer stringers to travel at least to the cabin bulkhead and tie into whatever runs forward of there. With a stagger, you can't really have a full keel stringer.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You would want the two outer stringers to travel at least to the cabin bulkhead and tie into whatever runs forward of there. With a stagger, you can't really have a full keel stringer.
    I keep looking at the pics above and can't quite figure them out.

It looks as if the engines are high enough to clear the center stringer?

12. Collapse Details

See if you can find out his highest offer. Also, are you any good at tapping for water/dryrot? If the transom's completely toast, it isn't worth much more than the parts.

Also, #3 parts are starting to get expensive and a little hard to find. If the drives are bad, the boat will need to be real low priced. But, it's still worth looking at.

Guys, in rebuilt shape, what's it worth in today's market, truthful range?
    Just talked to a guy out of grand haven that has a top gun with num 3 drives but bought sixes last week so he will probably want to unload the number 3's

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post
    Just talked to a guy out of grand haven that has a top gun with num 3 drives but bought sixes last week so he will probably want to unload the number 3's
    Who?

14. Collapse Details

There's just not much of a center stringer there. Most staggered race setups have a wider, offset inside stringer and that shorty center keel stringer.

15. Collapse Details

Dang, lot of us waiting to see if you come home with a new project.....

2 cracked stringers???? Any idea why/how?????
    Hopefully one night this week.

We noticed the stringers were cracked a couple weeks ago. Not sure why, but they're cracked in the exact same place on both sides. I'm told they are pine, not plywood, that could have something to do with it.

16. Collapse Details

If I were home I would go check it out (the Flat Deck), but I'm stuck down in Cincin-nasti. On second look at the pics it looks like the mufflers were shrink-wrapped so hopefully it kept out a lot of the moisture out of the motors. It would be interesting to find out what those really are.

I would think it you took apart parts-wise it would bring:
    $1000 - K-planes/pumps
    $4000-5000 - motors (both, $2000-2500 each)
    $4500-6000 - drives/gimbles (both)
    $1000 - transmissions
    $500 - mufflers ?
    $1500 - Trailer
    $5000 - Hull
    So $17.5 K roughly? He said best offer right?

17. Collapse Details

Your hull and trailer prices are fairly close. You're at about double or more on the rest. Those engines and drives- you've got to assume the worst on them. And the worst is not very good when you're talking about engines stored outside and not started for years. And those bullet-style 3's would maybe be worth 6 if they had a full refresh (which costs about that much- unless you need gears)

18. Collapse Details

I was told the motors are Hawk 540's, but they look like 420's.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post
    3's or 3A's?
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

20. Collapse Details

Anybody take a gander at the Flat Deck yet? My interest is piqued