Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Handgun for a friend question
    I have a female friend that wants a handgun. I am getting her to take a CCW class, not for the CCW, but for the safety aspects.

Here is the dilema: She has rhumatoid arthritis and can't comfortably pull a double action trigger. I also have reservations about her carrying a Glock type trigger loose in her purse. Suggestions?

2. Collapse Details

I am sure that some of our more knowledgeable gun guys will have an idea about some models that may fit the bill. But while we wait for them, here is something that came to mind:

We have a family-owned gun shop and range here in town. They will let you try out popular models on the range before purchase. They will also rent guns for like 5 bucks.
    If you can find a situation like this... she can try some out to make sure that the overall design geometry works with her hand, and that the amount of trigger pull is ok for her.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

3. Collapse Details

Yeah - we went shooting yesterday and thats how it came up. I was hoping someone knew of a DA/SA revolver or auto with a light trigger pull or some other solution.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated30 View Post
    Yeah - we went shooting yesterday and thats how it came up. I was hoping someone knew of a DA/SA revolver or auto with a light trigger pull or some other solution.
    You can always modify trigger pull to where it is way too light even. At what point does safety become a concern is something some of our gun experts will have to answer.

I'm thinking one of the smaller, .380's, modified. But, you also have the issue with cocking thew first round into the chamber. At least I never carry with one in the chamber.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

642 S&W with the concealed hammer. Reccoil is managable the pistol itself is ultra concealable and it will fire in SA or DA mode, revolvers almost never fail to go bang when you pull the trigger and theres no chance of having to clear a jam in a life threatening situation.

6. Collapse Details

If you have to have an auto, I'd look at the SIG P230 in 380ACP. Not as powerful as 9mm but with the right ammo it's definitely a good argument-stopper. (Just ask James Bond) In fact, the 230 is pretty much a Walther PPK copy, with some refinements.

But I'm with Tony- I'd rather see a novice or intermediate shooter with a revolver.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    642 S&W with the concealed hammer. Reccoil is managable the pistol itself is ultra concealable and it will fire in SA or DA mode, revolvers almost never fail to go bang when you pull the trigger and theres no chance of having to clear a jam in a life threatening situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    If you have to have an auto, I'd look at the SIG P230 in 380ACP. Not as powerful as 9mm but with the right ammo it's definitely a good argument-stopper. (Just ask James Bond) In fact, the 230 is pretty much a Walther PPK copy, with some refinements.

But I'm with Tony- I'd rather see a novice or intermediate shooter with a revolver.
    Do you guys have any idea what the trigger pull can be modified down to on a DA Revolver? Looking for something for Terri also. I'm not a fan of Autos in the hands of someone who doesn't practice all the time.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

8. Collapse Details

with a revolver you do not have to stick around and pick up the casings......
    Parabellum FJ²B

9. Collapse Details

Check out the ruger LCR if you can find one. I bought one a while back and it is a great concealed piece that shoots WAY better than it should.

10. Collapse Details

Enjoy your gun rentals now......in FL it has been the new rage in suicides! 6 people in the last month have walked in, rented a gun and shot themselves. One lady shot her 20 year old in the head then killed herself.

I have always thought gun ranges were sketchy places. The first time I went to one was with a neighbor. Range was in a marginal neighborhood, gun fanatics working there (all wearing side arms) and it was just before closing time. Two hoodrats walked in and everyone simutaneously unbuckled the holsters or placed guns within reach. Hoodrats browsed for a minute and left.

I was more worried about the crossfire than the actual hoodrats!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Do you guys have any idea what the trigger pull can be modified down to on a DA Revolver? Looking for something for Terri also. I'm not a fan of Autos in the hands of someone who doesn't practice all the time.
    LOL! I was confused! I am looking for one for a friend named Terri!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Theres no reason to modify the trigger if you buy the concealed hammer version, there is actually a hammer to cock with your thumb, its just real small, a slight knurled nub on the back of the pistol. The DAO, "dual action only" or commonly called hammerless versions have a stout and long trigger pull that take some time and frequent practice to master.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    Enjoy your gun rentals now......in FL it has been the new rage in suicides! 6 people in the last month have walked in, rented a gun and shot themselves. One lady shot her 20 year old in the head then killed herself.

I have always thought gun ranges were sketchy places. The first time I went to one was with a neighbor. Range was in a marginal neighborhood, gun fanatics working there (all wearing side arms) and it was just before closing time. Two hoodrats walked in and everyone simutaneously unbuckled the holsters or placed guns within reach. Hoodrats browsed for a minute and left.

We had someone commit suicide at the very range that I spoke of. It is not in a bad neighborhood. It is next to the Highway Patrol. It is staffed by professionals, some of the family members in the family business hold marksmanship records. They do carry while working. Nobody "places guns within reach." They maintain absolute custody and control of their weapon.

Nice story though.

Although rentals may go away, trial range sessions with weapons that regular customers are considering should be around, which is fine with me.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

14. Collapse Details

My best advice would be this- if you're already working at a disadvantage, you relly should put more effort into evening things up. That would mean professional instruction, regular range time and solid familiarity with equipment and tactics. Then you could safely carry an autoloading handgun in condition 1, cocked and locked.

My own personal belief is that if you're not at a range once a week, you have no business carrying a deadly weapon. Unless you're a very experienced individual, if you're not there, your skills aren't what they need to be.

Using a firearm in a situation where someone is using one against you and the issue is only going to end when one of you is dead is no less stressful or demanding than driving a roadrace car at 230 mph or flying a fighter jet. You'd better have some polished skills to rely on or it's likely to end ugly.

It's your life. Only you can decide how valuable it is to you and how willing you are to preserve it.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post

It sounds like they need to regulate Floridians more strictly

A buddy of mine is a long-time shop owner. Had a guy come in and ask to see a 357 magnum. He laid it on the counter, the guy picked it up and ran to the door. Well, my buddy is retired FBI. Follows the guy to the parking lot with his sidearm unholstered. The guy jumps in his car and locks the door. Proceeds to load the gun and blow his brains out with it. My buddy says- "he may have ruined one of my guns, but he did save me a bullet".

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    My own personal belief is that if you're not at a range once a week, you have no business carrying a deadly weapon.
    +1. Even my 7 & 9 year old kids have a minimum requirement of 100 rounds down range a week.

17. Collapse Details

I remember reading an interview a few years back with Isaac Stern, the greatest violinist that ever lived. He said he absolutely had to practice several hous every day. He said if he didn't, the next day he could tell. he went on to say that if he skjipped two or three, there were maybe two people on the planet that could tell as well and that if he skipped a week, the audience could tell. And he'd been playing for 60+ myears at that point. If Perlman needs to practice regularly, so do you.

18. Collapse Details

One of the stories lately:

Susan Jacobson

Sentinel Staff Writer

12:20 AM EDT, June 14, 2009
    E-mail Print Vote
    Another woman shot herself at a Central Florida gun range Saturday in a suicide attempt, authorities said.

The woman rented a handgun and filled out paperwork indicating she had no mental-health problems, wasn't on drugs and had no other conditions or situations to preclude her from shooting safely, said John Ritz, manager of the east Orange County range. Like other customers, she also was read the safety rules.

The shooting happened about 12:30 p.m. at East Orange Shooting Sports on Gardner Street, east of Winter Park. There was a suicide there several years ago.

"It's a horrible, tragic event," Ritz said.

He said he had heard that the woman shot herself in the head but was expected to live.

It was the third self-inflicted shooting at a Central Florida gun range since April 5, when an Altamonte Springs woman killed her son and herself at Shoot Straight in Casselberry. A 26-year-old man committed suicide at the same range on April 27.

In Saturday's incident, the woman, whose name was not released, came in alone, rented a handgun and shot herself. Four staff members and at least five customers were in the building, Ritz said. One employee was working with another customer three feet away at the time, he said.

"Hopefully she will take that as a fact that it wasn't her time and she will evaluate the conditions that made her feel she had no choice," and something positive will come out of it," said Ritz, who wasn't at work during the shooting.

The manager said he is afraid that publicity surrounding such shootings could encourage other desperate people to use gun ranges to kill themselves, particularly in these difficult economic times.

After the third death at Shoot Straight, an attorney for the business said it would no longer rent guns until the state allows ranges to do background checks on customers. Ritz said he would love to stop gun-range suicides.

"I don't know that you or I can stop somebody from doing something destructive to themselves once they have made the decision to do so, whether it's a bridge or prescription medication or a razor knife," he said.

19. Collapse Details

I feel like we may have hijacked this a little. Sorry about that X rated. Good luck with the hunt.

20. Collapse Details

I went to one of those Florida ranges with my kids last year.They rent to any one the other people looked like perps.