Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I originally made the comment about a problem that many women(including my wife) have regarding limp wrist. I only brought that problem up so you would be aware that it is a problem with some shooters. I am sure that if you friend choses an automatic to carry, and you instruct her properly, as you say she will at least have one accurate shot. I don't even know how to respond to your statement regarding "one shot". Do as you may, there has been a lot of good information offered, however please reread the last paragraph of Chris' last post especially the last couple of sentences.
    Jay

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated30 View Post
    I have personally never been a fan of arming a woman. There is a fair chance you will see my name in the "victim" space in the report.

But I took a chance starting this thread looking for some information, because she lives alone in the country and works in the court system. I know most people like small frames in .38 for newer female shooters, but she doesn't have the finger strength for a revolver in D/A mode. As she squeezes the trigger her hand begins to shake from the exertion, so much so that even at close range it could cause a miss or non-debilitating hit. And no - she can't afford a $500 handgun and $300 in trigger work.

Yes, ideally a revolver would be nice for a newer shooter, but with a little training, I see no reason an intelligent young woman can't carry an XD9 safely and with some practice in her purse. I mentioned getting her in the CCW class, and there is little more training out there - certainly very little til after you get past that step. We talk of "clearing drills" and what ifs, but frankly the average handgun shooting involves 5 rounds or less, regardless of weapon capacity.

Someone mentioned trouble loading auto clips and cycling the action. Neither of these should be done while there is a life threatening situation going on. A revolver is the best handgun ther is for the first 6 rounds... Does that mean autos are useless?

Sorry to vent, but I guess this thread went from "does any one have a suggestion?" to "If you can't carry a $900 auto or work a DA revolver, don't carry." Thats not correct and all of you know it.

Ummm lessee... if she has trouble pulling a trigger in a dire situation, why would a bobbed hammer make ANY sense? This shows as little thought for the original question as the "limp wrist" opinions. At least someone with a safely carried weapon could get the first round off accurately... I'd consider this a distinct advantage over an unarmed potential victim.

Frankly it isn't an ideal situation, but I believe the knowledgable folks on this board can come up with an acceptable solution that might allow her to carry safely to and from her office/car/house. Training is important, but I was asking for a good mechanical situation. Don't wail on me too bad - I am really looking for some good info.
    From everything that you have said so far it appears that your friend may not have enough hand strength to safely carry a handgun. I know that is not the answer you want to hear. A taser may be the only manageable solution to the problem.

Dave

3. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=X-Rated30;269343]I have personally never been a fan of arming a woman. There is a fair chance you will see my name in the "victim" space in the report.

But I took a chance starting this thread looking for some information, because she lives alone in the country and works in the court system. I know most people like small frames in .38 for newer female shooters, but she doesn't have the finger strength for a revolver in D/A mode. As she squeezes the trigger her hand begins to shake from the exertion, so much so that even at close range it could cause a miss or non-debilitating hit. And no - she can't afford a $500 handgun and $300 in trigger work.

Yes, ideally a revolver would be nice for a newer shooter, but with a little training, I see no reason an intelligent young woman can't carry an XD9 safely and with some practice in her purse. I mentioned getting her in the CCW class, and there is little more training out there - certainly very little til after you get past that step. We talk of "clearing drills" and what ifs, but frankly the average handgun shooting involves 5 rounds or less, regardless of weapon capacity.

Someone mentioned trouble loading auto clips and cycling the action. Neither of these should be done while there is a life threatening situation going on. A revolver is the best handgun ther is for the first 6 rounds... Does that mean autos are useless?

Sorry to vent, but I guess this thread went from "does any one have a suggestion?" to "If you can't carry a $900 auto or work a DA revolver, don't carry." Thats not correct and all of you know it.

I personally would still consider the S&W airweight 38 with a shrouded hammer, able to cock and or de-cock with her thumb as the individual circumstance requires with no fuss and less of a percentage chance of a "mistake" being made in the heat of pulling it. "Most" women do not(notice I said most not all) the same sense of mechanics that men do in their thought process, hence you have a better chance of an "accident" happening with an automatic of any type.

Just a personal opinion/observation not meant to offend anyone.
    The more I know about people, the more I like my dogs

4. Collapse Details

She ended up with the LCR and is going to take the ccw course.

5. Collapse Details

Good start. Encourage her to establish an ongoing relationship with a shooting coach and to make the commitment to spending some time at a range. Once she's there, it should be just like a gym workout. If you go to the gym, wander around and do a few exercises between chats with friends, you may enjoy yourself, but you're probably not receiving any benefit from the visit. Same with range time. Have a plan and a goal. And that's best established with the help of a coach.

Here are two things to consider-

First- exactly half of your potential shots from cover are going to occur from the right side. That means you either have to fully expose yourself or you're going to have to shoot left handed. Have you EVER fired your weapon left-handed? Does it even have ambidextrous controls?

Second- the largest possible target you can present to your adversary is a standing position. Have you ever fired your weapon in any other?

There are tons of these. And the time to find out what they are isn't that moment after drawing your sidearm and clicking the safety off.

6. Collapse Details

Ruger 45
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 247L.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    Ruger 45
    KP345 I have one just like that. It is my do everything gun. The damn thing feeds anything and just plain shoots.

Good choice with LCR, For a CCW it is hard to beat. Very light, simple and the 38 is about as small as I would go self defense.

8. Collapse Details

Ruger may make a fine handgun but I only will say or write the name in telling the story about how their founder wrote and forced through the most impactful piece of firearms legislation ever. And I certainly wouldn't consider owning one.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

Some Bill Ruger quotes-

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun"

"I never meant for civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock"

"I see nothing wrong with waiting periods"

Bill Ruger was perfectly willing to sell you and your Constitutionally-guaranteed rights down the river to hold on to a piece of his very lucrative business.

9. Collapse Details

Chris, I agree with your feelings on the subject, but Bill Ruger is long dead and the company is better for it. I am all for boycotting companies for their political stances, but when they turn around I don't feel they should continue to be punished. The new CEO Mike Fifer has different feelings on the subject of High Cap magazines, folding stocks, etc. or they wouldn't be building the new SR-556 or selling high cap magazines for their other guns. Remember, Ruger wasn't the only one willing to sell out their customers. S&W was right there with them.

10. Collapse Details

We just did the same thing for a female friend. She was familiar with guns in general and revolvers but not semi's. Spent a whole afternoon at the gunshow checking out everything from Brownings to S&W. Encouraged her to buy something that ammo was available (9mm or 40, not .380) . She handled them all from Glocks to H&K and decided on a Ruger P94 in 9mm and 500 rounds of fmj ammo. We took her to the range the next weekend and after the basic safety and loading instructions she told us to leave her alone. She shot 250 rounds and couldn't hardly lift her arm at the end. At 21 feet she was putting them all in the center, moved to 15 yards and hit center mass. At 25 yards they were all on the target. Pretty good for a country girl. No misfires or jams. Ruger makes an excellent inexpensive gun.

My truck gun is a P-89 Ruger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ruger p89.jpg   ruger p-94.bmp  

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Good start. Encourage her to establish an ongoing relationship with a shooting coach and to make the commitment to spending some time at a range. Once she's there, it should be just like a gym workout.
    Agreed. Unfortunately, I think her range time is going to be limited. We went today and after the first 15 rounds (in close succession - shoot five, load five, shoot five, etc.) her aim was VERY shaky. We went through about 40 rounds of solid lead target ammo and her hand hurt. (Perhaps a lighter low power round for practice - mental note.)

I am thinking once a week with 30 rds down range would be the most we can expect. And she REALLY likes shooting.

A short aside: after shooting, I got a text from her saying next time we shoot out at her house because clothing is optional (she lives out in the country). My response: "I don't think being bent over with my dick in you is going to improve your grouping. On the other hand - after the way you shot today it can't hurt."