Thread: Boatpix.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Boatpix.com
    They were on our run Saturday and followed us so I'd like to see the shots of our boats.

They require a CC before they send you the pics.

Anyone done this and not have any problems? Just curious.
    Queen of Bammin'

2. Collapse Details

there are pages of stuff about them,let me go look
    Parabellum FJ²B

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefApache View Post
    They were on our run Saturday and followed us so I'd like to see the shots of our boats.

They require a CC before they send you the pics.

Anyone done this and not have any problems? Just curious.
    From everything I've read, they do have about a 5% customer satisfaction rate....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

they will ding your credit if you don't respond to their tactics, but they will also negotiate a better price, I thought gino had a go around with them
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

Registered
    play by their rules and you will be fine..... they send you the pics, if you like them you keep them and they charge your card. You can usually negotiate price with them if you do want to buy one. If you do not like them return them within the given time frame, i believe 10 days, and you are good to go.... be sure to play by there rules and all is good.

6. Collapse Details

From some of the prices I have heard they charge, for a little more than 2 of their piks, I can get you an hour of deidicated helo time shooting tons of piks from every concievable angle
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

7. Collapse Details

I have no first hand knowledge of them but others do..

Quote Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 View Post
    Listen to this one! I signed up for Equifax credit alerts. It tells you when your credit score changes and prevents identity theft (Like someone would want to steal my identity! LOL).
    Tonight I received a notice that my score dropped 27 points today. I checked to see why. Get this! Have you heard of Boatpix? They fly around the Fort Lauderdale coast line in this little helicopter and when they see a boat they follow it and take pictures. Then without your authorization, they get your address from the regi numbers on your boat and send you a set of 5 8x10 and 1 16x20 photos with a bill for $750. For $750 you could rent a helicopter for an hour and have someone shoot 5 rolls of film for that price. I have never received one shot picture from them worth that kind of money! They are nothing like the pictures you get from Stu's runs!! Then it is your responsibility to either send them $750 or take the pictures to the post office and at your expense send back the pictures you never asked for certified mail and let them know your don't want them. Then they send you a reduce price offer which I again refuse. Over the past years, without exaggeration, I have received photos from them 15 times. The last time was probably a year ago. Now today I find out, they sent something to Equifax that I have an outstanding balance of $627. It lowered my credit score 27 points. I have no idea which order this was, nor do I have any proof of sending anything back (this is at least a year old). Other then shoot down the helicopter next time I see it, what would you do?

8. Collapse Details

Theres been more than a few people who got burned becase they didnt read all the fine print.

9. Collapse Details

registered
    They chapped my azz in a bad way. I'll never deal with them.

10. Collapse Details

Barbi - They got me Saturday too!! A few years ago, they got me going to the airshow. You have to give a credit card or no go. I did it and returned them within 10 days with no problem.....They weren't worth the price......but I'll check these new pics out and see if they are good ones. Seeeeeyaaaaaa MK

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mkramer View Post
    Barbi - They got me Saturday too!! A few years ago, they got me going to the airshow. You have to give a credit card or no go. I did it and returned them within 10 days with no problem.....They weren't worth the price......but I'll check these new pics out and see if they are good ones. Seeeeeyaaaaaa MK
    Thanks Mark!

Hmmm, scary stuff. $750?????????? That's absurd!

I know one of the guys riding on Blue Moon got a great pic of us coming out of the water and he's sending us a CD of the pics he took over the weekend. I know it isn't going to cost $750.
    Queen of Bammin'

12. Collapse Details

Steer very clear is all I've ever heard...

13. Collapse Details

I can get the chopper and pilot for under 5 an hour for the extra $250 you can get a new dig camera and printer....... how many on the run would give you $25 for 2 good labeled 8x10's?? $750 my azz......
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefApache View Post
    Thanks Mark!

Hmmm, scary stuff. $750?????????? That's absurd!

I know one of the guys riding on Blue Moon got a great pic of us coming out of the water and he's sending us a CD of the pics he took over the weekend. I know it isn't going to cost $750.
    They print $750 on the invoice, that's before their 33% discount so the cost is $525 for 3 16X20's.

I just got some pics from them this week, felt they were too expensive and only liked one of them so I called em up and paid $100 + shipping for 1 16X20 and returned the other two.

Most photographer are going to charge you that much for a 16X20...and some charge more and even that much for an 8X10.

I've been using them since 1999 and never had an issue. In fact some of my best quality shots came from them. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe it's just how you deal with them..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	August 2009 014.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	40145

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I can get the chopper and pilot for under 5 an hour for the extra $250 you can get a new dig camera and printer....... how many on the run would give you $25 for 2 good labeled 8x10's?? $750 my azz......
    I've looked into this in the past..... You're basically looking at 1.5 - 3 hrs of flight time because it takes time to get from the airport to your photo-shoot, 20-30 minutes to shoot and flight-time back to the airport, plus the cost of the photographer and his/her images... Hopefully the photographer is nice enough to provide you with the digital renderings..

15. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you guys ever want a shoot of more than a couple boats in a certain area, I'm sure it can be worked out.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

16. Collapse Details

I'd definitely be interested

17. Collapse Details

2005 pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails House Project 005.jpg   House Project 006.jpg   House Project 007.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Name:	240_Panther-PR-2001-1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	40157

Name:	240_DippelRun1-2001.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	40156

19. Collapse Details

Heard of people taking there pictures to a good copy/scanner shop and then send them back.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bajacleveland View Post
    Heard of people taking there pictures to a good copy/scanner shop and then send them back.
    Maybe that's why they have a bad rap... People take their time to scan them, keep the scanned copies and send them back after the 10 day period and get charged full-boat or have to put in a dispute???

If I were them I'd seriously consider watermarking the photo's or doing it online.. it would probably be cheaper in the long-run and people might be happier!

Then again, i've ordered other photo's online and what I got wasn't stellar... No touch-up at all (even though I didn't ask, it's your product make it look good), no zoom/crop to make it look better etc... Just what appeared to be a quick trip down to kinko's to print them..

I'm not a boatpix cheerleader but just saying...