Thread: Fast Idle Issue

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock28SXT View Post
    Well it started idled fast and then ate the raw water pump impeller. I will get one asap and try again. TO BE CONTINUED.....................
    dam son you have all the luck

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    dam son you have all the luck
    It's not easy bein me

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's not easy bein me
    You didn't bump up against Gino did you????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    You didn't bump up against Gino did you????
    Nope our cats are ok

5. Collapse Details

It's not easy bein me
    If it makes you feel any better... On Saturday I ran the ocean in 4's and when we came off plane I popped the hatch to make sure everything was ok. When my buddy peered into the engine room he saw the alternator split in half!

So I leave the wheel and have a looksee and it split apart so much you could see the windings inside the alternator. So I say to myself, WTF!

So we're idling in the inlet, 30-45 minutes from home and still about 45 minutes to where we're going, and I start making phone calls to friends and marina's trying to find an alternator and NO LUCK! When I realized I couldn't find one I get in there and see if I can fix it.

Turns out all 4 bolts that hold the alternator case together seemed to have fallen out.. I find two of them in the bilge and bolt it back togther. the alternator wasn't working properly after that but I didn't let it ruin my day and continued on. We took a bunch of kids for a ride at Shore Dreams then headed back home. On the ride home the ocean settled down, there were still 4's but we had a following sea. Ran all the way home with no issues and even ran the boat on Sunday. New alternator coming this week!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    If it makes you feel any better... On Saturday I ran the ocean in 4's and when we came off plane I popped the hatch to make sure everything was ok. When my buddy peered into the engine room he saw the alternator split in half!

So I leave the wheel and have a looksee and it split apart so much you could see the windings inside the alternator. So I say to myself, WTF!

So we're idling in the inlet, 30-45 minutes from home and still about 45 minutes to where we're going, and I start making phone calls to friends and marina's trying to find an alternator and NO LUCK! When I realized I couldn't find one I get in there and see if I can fix it.

Turns out all 4 bolts that hold the alternator case together seemed to have fallen out.. I find two of them in the bilge and bolt it back togther. the alternator wasn't working properly after that but I didn't let it ruin my day and continued on. We took a bunch of kids for a ride at Shore Dreams then headed back home. On the ride home the ocean settled down, there were still 4's but we had a following sea. Ran all the way home with no issues and even ran the boat on Sunday. New alternator coming this week!
    Wow that's crazy. Never heard of or seen that before. Glad you got tp keep running and nothing more got damaged.

7. Collapse Details

I've never seen one split apart like that either but I guess there's a first for everything!

8. Collapse Details

It might not idle correct but it runs great.......just ask the local water patrol Anyway I just ran it in the trailer. Here is what I saw. Desired IAC vs act position is the same(step count of 47 a bit high) both @ 141 key on engine off. The TP % is 1.95% and the throttle follower jumps 0-5 (in the step count) TPS voltage is .8 volts steady all with throttle fully closed, vac is 14 in.hg. MAP is 63 kpa. After it ran for a bit the idle started to hunt again, not like before just a couple hundered r's, but never the fast idle ~1800. Hope this info helps. If I missed something let me know. Thanks guys. Jason

9. Collapse Details

not sure how much of a difference it makes but the info I have shows you should have 0.5 volts at idle and % of TP should be 0%. Not sure if the .8 is out of range but seems a little high according to the info I have.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    not sure how much of a difference it makes but the info I have shows you should have 0.5 volts at idle and % of TP should be 0%. Not sure if the .8 is out of range but seems a little high according to the info I have.
    Agreed it seems a bit high. This is the first time I saw the TP % and the position(step) be anything other than 0. The voltage has also never been that high @ idle, was @ about .6 volts. Maybe time for a new TPS?