1. Collapse Details
    Whippled 525 EFI delima
    I have a pair of Whippled 525 EFI motors that I am getting freshioned up at a very reputabil shop. When it is all said and done the motors will have a complete over haul minus the cam(he said didn't need) it will be .060 over with new JE pistons running about 6-7 lbs boost, he thought 740-775 HP on dyno. My issue is I want to get rid of the closed cooling system but I want to run a thermostat. I was told to do this we would need to reenvent the wheel. I have a pair of cross overs with the pullie to keep my surpentine belt but still no thermostat. I am scared that no thermostat will affect the fuel curve since the water in Iowa doesn't warm up until July- August. He said he could change the computer to do what ever we need. Which is the best way to go here?
    Last edited by ozarkdevil; 06-20-2009 at 12:03 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Best thing to do is to listen to Dustin Whipple. They put a ton of time into engineering that package and they know what works.

Why do you want to ditch the cooling anyway?

3. Collapse Details

Aluminum heads so I would do all I can to keep the freshwater cooling system if I could.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Best thing to do is to listen to Dustin Whipple. They put a ton of time into engineering that package and they know what works.

Why do you want to ditch the cooling anyway?

There is some concern that the stock closed cooling system might not be sufficient for long hard runs. I could get a larger heat Xchanger but that gets expensive, besides that I think the motors will look cleaner with out the extra cooling system parts up front.

5. Collapse Details

I'd wait to see if the heat exchanger can keep up before ditching it. The closed system with dexcool is good protection for the engines components, ie aluminum heads, iron block.

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    I would not ditched the close cooling at most any cost. Tap water will do better than anitifreeze mixes and some additives work also. I would optimize what you have.
    Steve

7. Collapse Details

Call,Ray @ Raylar. He upgrades the 496 exchanger you can do the same. If you are using the drive as the water source, blook it off add 2 transom mount pick-ups which will carry enough water volume with the 1.250" hose to cool it instead of the 5/8" hose restriction that merc. has. Get a full shower top plate that covers the drive add a 3/8 npt-#8 an with fittings and stainless hose, drill and tap the port side of the drive upper add a 1/2" npt -#8an 90 degrees and you 'll cool your drive better so the oil doesn't turn black. I would either up-grade the exchanger and add the pick-ups.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkdevil View Post
    There is some concern that the stock closed cooling system might not be sufficient for long hard runs. I could get a larger heat Xchanger but that gets expensive, besides that I think the motors will look cleaner with out the extra cooling system parts up front.
    I'm with you on the looking cool thing, but it's tough to beat closed cooling.

The absolute least-cool thing in boating is being on the end of a tow rope.

9. Collapse Details

The heat exchanger on the 525EFI is the same one used on the 700sci. Mercury is always super conservative with setup so I think you'll be fine with only 40-75 more hp.