Thread: Cafe vs Top Gun

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cafe vs Top Gun
    Guys, I need an education. Cafe vs Gun, what are the pros and cons of each, conventional bottoms? Is one better than the other? If you were going to buy, under $100K, which one? Thanks.

2. Collapse Details

Bottoms have always seemed pretty similar, other than one is about 2'6" longer. It's called a Top Gun for a reason

3. Collapse Details

I have heard the Cafe is a better ride, not sure why but thats what I heard..
    35 Cigarette Mistress

4. Collapse Details

You can't go wrong with either one. If I had a 100k and didn't ever own a Cafe I would buy the Topgun...I believe it depends on the year topgun and engine and drive package on how well it will ride. I also believe power for power the Topgun will be faster then the Cafe... Both are great boats. You will be happy with what ever one you decide to buy. The Cafe is like a collectors item. Cigarette only made 110 of them. I love my Cafe!!!! Good luck shopping. You know where I live!!! Just my .02
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0003.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

registered
    I've been in both, and honestly I have found very little discernible difference between the two in ride; they're damn near identical as far as I'm concerned. 2.5' and a different deck are about the only things that separate the two. Cafe's are rare[er], while Top Guns are a dime a dozen (not that it diminishes its qualities in any way). Personally, between the two I prefer the deck lines and styling of the Cafe better, but that's a biased opinion.

6. Collapse Details

Was there a seperate hull mold built for the Cafe's or did they just use a dam in a TG mold?

7. Collapse Details

registered
    I don't know if they shared molds or not, but I do know that the 35 came first. Aronow designed and built the first 35’ Cigarette race boat 1972, which later went into production as the Cafe. This was later lengthened to 37' 6" and became the TG.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SKRAMER View Post
    You can't go wrong with either one. If I had a 100k and didn't ever own a Cafe I would buy the Topgun...I believe it depends on the year topgun and engine and drive package on how well it will ride. I also believe power for power the Topgun will be faster then the Cafe... Both are great boats. You will be happy with what ever one you decide to buy. The Cafe is like a collectors item. Cigarette only made 110 of them. I love my Cafe!!!! Good luck shopping. You know where I live!!! Just my .02

Yeah...I'll second that!! Go get one Adam!

9. Collapse Details

I believe Most TG's are notched transoms. NO cafe's are.

The Cafe dash console and left console are different. The deck where it meets the firewall on Cafe's is not straight across, but rather angled giving it a really nice look (better than the TG's in my opinion). The TG deck is flat with a railing down the middle, the Cafe deck has a recessed area in it with non-skid that is nice to walk down at night after the dew starts falling and the drinks start flowing - I credit this to keeping me out of the water on many occasions.

In the cabin the Cafe has a separate couch that does not flow into the V-berth whereas the Top gun couch flows into the V-berth (I am talking about the 1990+ style cabins here)

As far as ride - in all my research I never found anyone that could say there was a significant difference in the two.

The TG obviously has a couple hundred pounds on the Cafe, but not enough that it materially affects performance I don't believe.

Believe the Cafe bottom is from the Mistress mold....

Don't expect to see much difference in size in either the cockpit, or the cabin, or the engine room because you won't IMO.

They made 140 some Cafe's I believe, and obviously hundreds upon hundreds of Gun's..... edit - SKRAMER seems to think it was less than that. He probably knows better than I because truthfully I can't even remember where I got that # from.

The first picture is a GUN cabin and you can see the couch run into the V-berth.

The second picture is a Cafe Cabin and you can see the couch does NOT. In the picture the back of the couch folds down to extend the V-berth and that is what those "square" looking coushins are.

The last picture you can see where the wind deflector is that the deck slopes down and off and REALLY is a nice look whereas on the TG it would just be straight across.

Hope that helps...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NO-Wood Cabin.bmp   NEWCAFECABIN.jpg   DSC00007.jpg  

Last edited by Seafordguy; 06-17-2009 at 08:49 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafordguy View Post

The Cafe dash console and left console are different. The deck where it meets the firewall on Cafe's is not straight across, but rather angled giving it a really nice look (better than the TG's in my opinion). The TG deck is flat with a railing down the middle, the Cafe deck has a recessed area in it with non-skid that is nice to walk down at night after the dew starts falling and the drinks start flowing - I credit this to keeping me out of the water on many occasions.

In the cabin the Cafe has a separate couch that does not flow into the V-berth whereas the Top gun couch flows into the V-berth (I am talking about the 1990+ style cabins here)

As far as ride - in all my research I never found anyone that could say there was a significant difference in the two.

The TG obviously has a couple hundred pounds on the Cafe, but not enough that it materially affects performance I don't believe.

Don't expect to see much difference in size in either the cockpit, or the cabin, or the engine room because you won't IMO.

They made 140 some Cafe's I believe, and obviously hundreds upon hundreds of Gun's..... edit - SKRAMER seems to think it was less than that. He probably knows better than I because truthfully I can't even remember where I got that # from.

The first picture is a GUN cabin and you can see the couch run into the V-berth.

The second picture is a Cafe Cabin and you can see the couch does NOT. In the picture the back of the couch folds down to extend the V-berth and that is what those "square" looking coushins are.

The last picture you can see where the wind deflector is that the deck slopes down and off and REALLY is a nice look whereas on the TG it would just be straight across.

Hope that helps...

Bravo....very good rendition of the differences!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Seafordguy View Post

Hope that helps...
    This is where I got my info!!!! http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...here-made.html

12. Collapse Details

Kind of like the difference between a 36 Apache and A 41 Apache except you're dealing with a little more length in the 41 vs the TG but same differences apply!!!!

13. Collapse Details

Dont forget the Cafe is somewhat of a raised deck over the TG also!!!

14. Collapse Details

I m biased but I love the lines of the Cafe'. Still one of the best looking decks out there and the walkway down the middle of the deck is great.

15. Collapse Details

I should have thought about that thread!!!

That isn't many boats over a 10 year spread....

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
    Guys, I need an education. Cafe vs Gun, what are the pros and cons of each, conventional bottoms? Is one better than the other? If you were going to buy, under $100K, which one? Thanks.
    Adam, I think they are both great boats! I love my GUN! I think you should look for both and pick up the best deal that works for you and Beth! I think you know you won't go wrong either way!!

I've already started the search!! We need more CIGS around the Formula's are taking over

GOOD LUCK

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mkramer View Post
    Adam, I think they are both great boats! I love my GUN! I think you should look for both and pick up the best deal that works for you and Beth! I think you know you won't go wrong either way!!

I've already started the search!! We need more CIGS around the Formula's are taking over

GOOD LUCK
    And one Baja!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

18. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=inbetween;247291If you were going to buy, under $100K, which one? [/QUOTE]

If I had a 100k
    I must've been REALLY REALLY tired...$100K...Should be more like $50K

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mkramer View Post

GOOD LUCK
    Gotta move the Formula first

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    I've been in both, and honestly I have found very little discernible difference between the two in ride; they're damn near identical as far as I'm concerned. 2.5' and a different deck are about the only things that separate the two. Cafe's are rare[er], while Top Guns are a dime a dozen (not that it diminishes its qualities in any way). Personally, between the two I prefer the deck lines and styling of the Cafe better, but that's a biased opinion.
    I have also been in both, however not necessarily equally powered. Both ride very well. I do like the look of the Cafe deck, but a TG wouldn't be too bad either.