Thread: Cafe vs Top Gun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Seafordguy View Post
    I believe Most TG's are notched transoms. NO cafe's are.

The Cafe dash console and left console are different. The deck where it meets the firewall on Cafe's is not straight across, but rather angled giving it a really nice look (better than the TG's in my opinion). The TG deck is flat with a railing down the middle, the Cafe deck has a recessed area in it with non-skid that is nice to walk down at night after the dew starts falling and the drinks start flowing - I credit this to keeping me out of the water on many occasions.

In the cabin the Cafe has a separate couch that does not flow into the V-berth whereas the Top gun couch flows into the V-berth (I am talking about the 1990+ style cabins here)

As far as ride - in all my research I never found anyone that could say there was a significant difference in the two.

The TG obviously has a couple hundred pounds on the Cafe, but not enough that it materially affects performance I don't believe.

Believe the Cafe bottom is from the Mistress mold....

Don't expect to see much difference in size in either the cockpit, or the cabin, or the engine room because you won't IMO.

They made 140 some Cafe's I believe, and obviously hundreds upon hundreds of Gun's..... edit - SKRAMER seems to think it was less than that. He probably knows better than I because truthfully I can't even remember where I got that # from.

The first picture is a GUN cabin and you can see the couch run into the V-berth.

The second picture is a Cafe Cabin and you can see the couch does NOT. In the picture the back of the couch folds down to extend the V-berth and that is what those "square" looking coushins are.

The last picture you can see where the wind deflector is that the deck slopes down and off and REALLY is a nice look whereas on the TG it would just be straight across.

Hope that helps...
    Thanks. And yes that helps!

2. Collapse Details

both great boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Collapse Details

A plus for the Cafe is how the engine hatch is made. It offers one more room while changing spark plugs.............. I agree with the others.... They are both a great choice. You just need to find one that fits your criteria.
    Jr.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bonz View Post
    A plus for the Cafe is how the engine hatch is made. It offers one more room while changing spark plugs.............. I agree with the others.... They are both a great choice. You just need to find one that fits your criteria.
    Jr.
    What's the difference here??? I've never noticed - just curious

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Seafordguy View Post
    What's the difference here??? I've never noticed - just curious
    The sides are attached to it. On my friends it seemed that there was more room to get to the outside of the engines than what is pictured here..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boat23RESIZE.jpg   NYC to Milwaukee, WI 394.jpg   boat%20251asRESIZE.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

My Hatch goes up in the middle like the one in that Light Blue GUN (center pic).

That other one is a boat I had on my list of "ones to consider" - it was the one that burned up in the North East correct? I believe it burned AGAIN a few months after it was sold.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG2100.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

aside from the creature comforts, the gun is going to run better in heavier water simply because of the additional weight and the length. But it's going to take more ponies to do it. The 38 is also going to be more stable at speed than the shorter 35.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cheeta View Post
    both great boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bingo.... Both great boats !

I've had a few 35's & a few 38's.

I like the Top Gun better....Just my 2 cents

9. Collapse Details

where is the extra length of the gun distributed at? it seems like some of it is up at the bow where it would rarely be in the water.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BDiggity View Post
    where is the extra length of the gun distributed at? it seems like some of it is up at the bow where it would rarely be in the water.
    I am convinced that a good portion of the extra length is in the bow, and that possibly the consoles in the Gun are a little bigger than in the Cafe....Never measured these though, just going off gut instinct....

I don't see it in the cockpit, engine compartment or cabin.

11. Collapse Details

Inbetween check your pm

12. Collapse Details

according to craig Barrie (built the top gun and the cafe for years) the top gun is a faster hull with same power.

With that said, I love the cafe and actually was looking to buy one before we came across our gun. Both ride great, both have about the same cockpit room and both have extremely similar cabin set ups (which in my opinion is one of the best cabins out there).

The top gun was/is the best selling model in cigarette history. I don't know if I'd say "dime a dozen" but there's def more out there (just look at the classified right now; limited cafes for sale compared to guns).
    From a buying aspect a cafe is awesome. You get a lot of boat for less money than a gun.

Either way you can't go wrong!
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

13. Collapse Details

Here you go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boat 5-7-05 025.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jryan26 View Post
    Here you go!
    Good lookin' GUN

15. Collapse Details

Here you go!
    thought that sold? As I recall, that was a good deal. New paint fresh motors and #3 drives for a decent price if memory serves. Good looking gun
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

16. Collapse Details

If you know where to look, you can find the 35 in the 38 hull. They carried over some mold imperfections. You can also find the same thing in an Apache 41. The 38 is lengthened in the rear. Properly set up and with equivalent weight, the 38 will do an extra couple MPH with equal power.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    thought that sold? As I recall, that was a good deal. New paint fresh motors and #3 drives for a decent price if memory serves. Good looking gun
    Its for sale. He cant make up his mind on it. It has 3a's with boxes, 750's and has been completely gone through. He wants 75k.

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by BDiggity View Post
    Yea, sorta like a Fountain.
    ed

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    If you know where to look, you can find the 35 in the 38 hull. They carried over some mold imperfections. You can also find the same thing in an Apache 41. The 38 is lengthened in the rear. Properly set up and with equivalent weight, the 38 will do an extra couple MPH with equal power.
    I wonder if that's due to the extra rocker on the TG? Since they lengthened it from the 35, I guess they just continued the rocker????

I agree with Stinson about the 36' Apache vs/ the 41'. The 36' Apache came from a 41' Apache. They added rocker into the bottom cause when MM damned the 41' the numbers didn't work so Bobby had to add rocker when he got the mold.

Totally off-topic but I wonder if MM added rocker to the 36' Comanche?

20. Collapse Details

Its for sale. He cant make up his mind on it. It has 3a's with boxes, 750's and has been completely gone through. He wants 75k.
    More pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00746[1].jpg   DSC00454[1].jpg