Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Don't know how to make the link, but on Youtube, type in the search area....

Bushmills 1979. It is about 6 miutes of old school offshore.

Enjoy.....and start to get ready, time is flying by....
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing View Post
    Just spoke to John Haggin, he and I are in with the Old Viper. Cant wait. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Smitty
    That is great news Smitty.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bushmills 1979 for Charlie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79II-JbqI1k
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Smitty welcome aboard. That is great news.

I think it is fantastic that somebody like Haggin, who has given so much to the sport, can now have an opportunity to take something back.

Your team will have an experience of racing right over the same course that Griffith and Brownie and Wishnick and yes even,....Don Aronow... who won this race way back in 1967.

Now that is reliving history for sure.

Big water down there....especially in the winter...yeah!!!

Rat....thanks for the link!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails betty 10060018.jpg  
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

5. Collapse Details

Looking forward to it. Boats ready to go, just have to rehab the trailer a little.
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

6. Collapse Details

Banned
    Depends on how things go ,,,i will try.

7. Collapse Details

BEAUTIFUL Photo Charlie
    .......Augie Pensa.......

The Godfather

8. Collapse Details

damn..that won't be any fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing View Post
    Just spoke to John Haggin, he and I are in with the Old Viper. Cant wait. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Smitty

9. Collapse Details

Who is the "Go To" point of contact for info and registration? We are interested in running regardless of a stop.

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor RACESDAD's Avatar
    is this still on? we have our boat show the boat has to be in on the 19th. i hope it has been moved up a week

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RACESDAD View Post
    is this still on? we have our boat show the boat has to be in on the 19th. i hope it has been moved up a week
    No......we were hoping to get some help for the race from an existing race organization. That fell through and we cancelled.

However......We have our own people now...HORBA Board Member, Billy Frenz with his NPBA....they are going to help us produce the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon next September on the weekend after Labor Day.

Michael Aronow has given permission to use Don's name again for this race and we will be based out of Guy LaMotta's marina. Manhasset Bay Marina and restaurant will be both the dry and wet pits and the awards ceremony location.

The race will be done on one day. Race distance is 250 miles. Current record stands at a bit over 3 hours. For those boats with no fuel capacity, we will have a handicap for refueling at Montauk.

Race will start on the north side of Long Island heading East and round Montauk and end on the ocean side, heading West, coming back through NYC tight areas. Start and finish will be right off Port Washington, NY.

12. Collapse Details

Come on Charlie lets figure out how to make the Miami to KW even if the dates have to be moved foward.......nothing like running a stright shot through Hawks channel

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    No......we were hoping to get some help for the race from an existing race organization. That fell through and we cancelled.

However......We have our own people now...HORBA Board Member, Billy Frenz with his NPBA....they are going to help us produce the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon next September on the weekend after Labor Day.

Damn... SBI and OPA, both have races that weekend.
    Sholud be a fun event

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedonz View Post
    Come on Charlie lets figure out how to make the Miami to KW even if the dates have to be moved foward.......nothing like running a stright shot through Hawks channel
    As you know HORBA has only two goals.....1.) Educate the public about the history of the sport and....2.) Save the old race boats before they are cut up and destroyed forever.

We really don't want to be another race organization, that is why we were hoping for some help in that area, with the actual running of the event etc. Unfortunately it didn't work out this year, but we still have hopes for a Miami to Key West next year. You Miami guys can get started on it now to lay the groundwork.

For the Don Aronow Around Long Island Race, we have Billy Frenz with his NPBA. He has tons of race promotion and poker run experience and is familiar with the area and dealing with the powers to be etc.

That is what we need in Miami to do this successfully for all involved.

15. Collapse Details

That is unfortunate, we would have loved to be a part of the history that got us where we are today. J&S Motorsports representing the National Guard will keep our eyes open for events that move our sport and history forward in a positive light.

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    As you know HORBA has only two goals.....1.) Educate the public about the history of the sport and....2.) Save the old race boats before they are cut up and destroyed forever.

We really don't want to be another race organization, that is why we were hoping for some help in that area, with the actual running of the event etc. Unfortunately it didn't work out this year, but we still have hopes for a Miami to Key West next year. You Miami guys can get started on it now to lay the groundwork.

For the Don Aronow Around Long Island Race, we have Billy Frenz with his NPBA. He has tons of race promotion and poker run experience and is familiar with the area and dealing with the powers to be etc.

That is what we need in Miami to do this successfully for all involved.
    Charlie.....I don't know what happened between you and Offshore Events in the past but I know Schoenwald has the CG permits in place for both Miami to Key West as well as Miami to New York....maybe you guys should talk!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

17. Collapse Details

DATE CHANGE......I spoke to Billy Frenz today and the date for the........

Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon, will be one week later than originally scheduled.

The new date is September 18, 2010.

This new date does not conflict with any other race organization date.

We welcome all who would like to experience what real ocean racing was really like.

18. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor RACESDAD's Avatar
    im scared now

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RACESDAD View Post
    im scared now
    I'll be looking forward to some air shots .....as you round Montauk and enter the ocean side of the island.

20. Collapse Details

..anyone looking for a driver, let me know..this sounds like a kick in the azz!!