1. Collapse Details
    Broken rubrail fix????
    Rubrail came loose on one side and the water must have caught it and snapped it off.
    Have new rail but I want to make sure I attach this thing right, anybody ever doi them and what do I need? and hows it done?
    Appears theres some metal inserts in it and maybe some factory rivets?
    Thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1029.jpg   IMG_1030.jpg   IMG_1033.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Since you're dealing with the Silent Thunder box, and not the actual hull/deck joint, things will be a little more forgiving; you won't need to make it watertight. Stainless steel sheetmetal screws, probably #10 by 1". The problem might be that the screws that are broken off will be where you want to put the new ones, so you might have to shift your bolt pattern by an inch or two. Just start at one end and work your way around; a heat gun will come in very handy. When you get to the end, remember to cut it long and whittle it down until it fits....

3. Collapse Details

ah sounds good, thinking of cutting a couple small access panels under the box also and then do a little through bolting.
    Rub rail seems like its gonna be a ***** to bend even with heat.
    Thanks for the reply.

4. Collapse Details

off topic, but i noticed your skeg is cut off. does it affect performance?

5. Collapse Details

Oh god how embarrasing
    I was moving the boat in my shop on the trailer with a forklift, forgot drive was down and snapped it off.
    Sooo I cut it along the jagged edge that was left and went to the river-havent noticed and difference but now that you mention it????
    Should I have a new one welded on? Will it matter ???
    Thanks for the input

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Prosno View Post
    Oh god how embarrasing
    I was moving the boat in my shop on the trailer with a forklift, forgot drive was down and snapped it off.
    Sooo I cut it along the jagged edge that was left and went to the river-havent noticed and difference but now that you mention it????
    Should I have a new one welded on? Will it matter ???
    Thanks for the input
    One day you will need to turn hard......and the boat WON'T. Until then it will perform as you described.

7. Collapse Details

some of the older race boats had the skegs cut off, im not sure about their reasons for doing it though.

8. Collapse Details

The reason is less drag through the water. A few cats cut off the skegs on the #6 drives then they run a rudder.

9. Collapse Details

...but at least they ran a rudder. A good jump (intentional or accidental) without one might introduce you to the joys of propwalk. That's an experience you're not likely to forget.

10. Collapse Details

Parabellum FJ²B

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by C_Spray View Post
    ...but at least they ran a rudder. A good jump (intentional or accidental) without one might introduce you to the joys of propwalk. That's an experience you're not likely to forget.
    Okay I might as well look stupid but I have to ask, What is propwalk??????

12. Collapse Details

When the boat comes up high enough out of the water that the only thing submerged is the lower blades of the prop, they can act like a sideways paddlewheel and crab the back of the boat over to one side, so you come down sideways. Normally, the skeg (or a rudder in shaft drive boats) would provide the stability, like feathers on a dart, to keep this from happening. The danger is not as high on boat running low-pitch props, but it can still happen...