Thread: Day traders

1. Collapse Details
    Day traders
    Did my first two day trades this week 9% on the first 11% on the second.How about a thread of what we are trading.

2. Collapse Details

we have a f & i section
    Hi, Im Dave.. Welcome, glad to have ya.....

3. Collapse Details

Yes I no that thats why I posted it here thought it would be a good thread do you disagree?

4. Collapse Details

no i was using the new pots button, sorry im a little slow.....

5. Collapse Details

day trading is tough, unless you have time and the know how of what your trading... i worked on the floor back in the 90's.. dont miss it one bit.. no sir re..

6. Collapse Details

My ex business partner was a day trader. That's why he is my ex-partner. That's all he did !!! I don't have time to sit there all day and play with the markets. Dave
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the
    American Military. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

7. Collapse Details

more day trader lose than anything else... i know a few guys that make a few hundred a day maybe make 150,000 a year and have nice lives, its the ones that are pigs and want to make a killing go down hard... i have a few buddies that made trunks full of money in the dot com days...

8. Collapse Details

I've known a bunch who have done it and I have traded em up pretty hard myself.

I think it is fading in popularity, but it may be revived by all the soon-to-be-ex-wallstreeters...

In my experience, it takes a strong stomach, the ability to literally babysit every tick with tight stop losses and a real gut sense for the market - which few people have over the long term. At some point even the greatest traders get washed out - check anywhere on Wall Street today for recent examples .

After all is said and done - the short term tax liabilities are simply ENORMOUS given the level of risk incurred.

Through 2008 market probably churns a little higher with managers marking up books for year-end. Come the new year - with a new Prez - it is literally anybody's guess on what will unfold...anybody claiming otherwise is to be avoided like the plague!
    THROWBACK

9. Collapse Details

What I have been doing is probably not hardcore day trading.Like Thurs AM I bought Delta airlines (DAL) for 9.17 sold Fri am for 10.40.I should have been more aggressive on that one.But I was at the time happy with the profit.
    I don't stay in front of the computer all day I can't I have to run my business but I do enjoy doing it.I think at this point its more of a hobby that makes some money

10. Collapse Details

What service are you using? Without getting personal how much we takin'? Do they still have minimums or blocks of say 1K share you have to buy without a premium?

I "day traded" about 10 years ago but then again anyone could win in the tech bubble. I'd like to take say $1K and let it ride- in your example that would be a little over $100 on the plus that day; I'd take it!

11. Collapse Details

I use etrade when I was playing around the week before I bought 10 shares of DHR so I don't think there is a minimum.The DAL deal was 100 shares so after the trade fees I made about $100.00 before taxes.
    I am thinking about Ford on Monday its like 2.19 if it goes up .25 thats around 12%.To me its like playing craps and I have always been able to walk away with chips if you get greedy you will lose

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
    To me its like playing craps and I have always been able to walk away with chips if you get greedy you will lose
    Exactly, remember, "Pigs get slaughtered, Don't be a pig". The difference is, if you do your homework, your chances are much better than Craps, more like BlackJack.

13. Collapse Details

What is left of "day trading" will be gone when Obama raises cap gains to 40+%.

14. Collapse Details
    The Market Sucks!!!
    Last edited by BradleyA; 11-03-2008 at 03:51 PM.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Exactly, remember, "Pigs get slaughtered, Don't be a pig". The difference is, if you do your homework, your chances are much better than Craps, more like BlackJack.
    Good Post, do your research.