Thread: Yamaha ODs...?

1. Collapse Details
    Yamaha ODs...?
    Anyone know much about being able able to swap these with anything newer? Looking at a boat with one, not real seriously because of the drive. They just look an awful lot like an older OMC or Volvo Cobra drive. I wondered if anything interchanged with them. The only reason I think about it is the boat would probably be a good application for a Volvo Dual Prop. If I could just drop the lower and swap, I might be a tad bit more serious. If the Yamaha is strictly it's own animal, I'll probably give up on the idea. THANSK

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here is a link to one thread. There is a lot of info out there. Bottom line, everyone says price accordingly to replace outdrive. Not a bolt on. Have not found anything yet about height, transom work, etc.

http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46342
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

I have had 2 come through the shop,,,,, great drives,,,, IMPOSSIBLE to find parts for.

May last forever, but it has to be bought cheap enough planning on a Merc swap in the future,,,, OR if it does last till your done with it,,,, that it will be harder to sell for the same reasons.

4. Collapse Details

BIG THANKS that's the most I have been able to find out. It's too bad, I thought it would have been a cool lil' project. But REALLY glad to find out now instead of later THANKS