Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Need info on these Maryland towns
    Hi Folks,

I'm looking for information on the following Maryland towns, good, bad or otherwise. Cost of Living, crime, school systems, public works yadda yadda yadda.... I could really use the hard facts; no mater if the feedback is good or bad!!

- Bel Air
    - Abingdon
    - White Marsh
    - Perry Hall
    - Kingsville

Thank you in advance!

Frank

2. Collapse Details

Too far north for me, but post over at www.cbpba.com and you'll likely get a response.

3. Collapse Details

registered
    Damn near everything you'd want to know about most cities:
    http://www.city-data.com/

4. Collapse Details

all good with the exception of abingdon....you can all me if you have any other questions...
    Last edited by Offshoredrillin; 05-28-2009 at 05:30 PM.

5. Collapse Details

agree, i wouldnt want to live in abingdon.

cost to live is pretty high in bel air and whitemarsh. good schools though in bel air. dont go near edgewood or dundalk

6. Collapse Details

Thanks. Going to take a look at some houses next weekend so I'm trying to get some inside info.

What's the area like? Rural, suburb??? For a reference point, I live about 30 miles outside NYC..we have rolling hills, rivers, trees and houses range from $350 (tear downs) to $MM houses on the water.

Thanks in advance!

7. Collapse Details

depends. whitemarsh is just outside baltimore/towson. its basically a suburb. bel air is more rural depending on what part of it you're looking at. and for $400k around there you can get something real nice. however, if you do it, do it soon before the BRAC gets here. which is all the people from new jersey relocating to aberdeen area. for apg

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 03darkshadow View Post
    however, if you do it, do it soon before the BRAC gets here. which is all the people from new jersey relocating to aberdeen area. for apg
    That's the only reason we're considering it... lol

My wife works on Ft. Mon. and we have to make a decision in the next couple weeks/months.

I'm seeing some 4 br houses with 2 1/2 bath for $300K range which is approx. 150-200k less than in our area.

I don't want to leave and I'll miss being 5-10 minutes from the ocean but this BRAC is basically screwing up peoples lives and it cost almost 3 times what they budgeted... Just a very f'ed up situation IMHO but if my wife can get a better job than she has now I'd consider it because I can do my job anywhere in the world..

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    That's the only reason we're considering it... lol

My wife works on Ft. Mon. and we have to make a decision in the next couple weeks/months.

I'm seeing some 4 br houses with 2 1/2 bath for $300K range which is approx. 150-200k less than in our area.

I don't want to leave and I'll miss being 5-10 minutes from the ocean but this BRAC is basically screwing up peoples lives and it cost almost 3 times what they budgeted... Just a very f'ed up situation IMHO but if my wife can get a better job than she has now I'd consider it because I can do my job anywhere in the world..

this BRAC thing is taking a lot longer then they expected too. i work out there and see these buildings they're making, they're big and have been in progress for over a year.

and dont be scared about being around here. we have the bay and the upper bay which are some awesome areas to boat. and the upper part isnt salty

another thing to consider if she'll be working on APG is moving to cecil county, little cheaper then bel air or whitemarsh.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 03darkshadow View Post
    dont go near edgewood or dundalk
    Hey...I grew up in Dundalk

(but I agree with you)

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Hey...I grew up in Dundalk

(but I agree with you)

that or essex...

12. Collapse Details

Thanks, I'll also take a look at Cecil. Mapquest looks to be about 35 minutes from APG, sound right?

As far as boating, I've heard nothing but great things about the Chesapeake. I guess it's just the thought of relocating from where you lived the last 30+ years.

We're going down for two days to check out some houses and see the area so we can make a decision if it's really something we can see ourselves doing. Our options are obvisouly go or stay but in a year or so my wife will loose her job.

13. Collapse Details

Thanks, I'll also take a look at Cecil. Mapquest looks to be about 35 minutes from APG, sound right?

As far as boating, I've heard nothing but great things about the Chesapeake. I guess it's just the thought of relocating from where you lived the last 30+ years.

We're going down for two days to check out some houses and see the area so we can make a decision if it's really something we can see ourselves doing. Our options are obvisouly go or stay but in a year or so my wife will loose her job.

i understand its hard to up and move. depending on what part of cecil and what part of the proving ground it can be as low as 30 mins or more. tell her to go the speed limit out there, they are very strict because they have nothing better to do...

14. Collapse Details

Ah come on down Frank, don't be scared. But do take some of the advise offered here and elsewhere. There are some good and not so good towns. Do your research and you'll be OK
    Make a life not a living

15. Collapse Details

Any truth to the rumor that some of the new buildings put up in APG are sinking???

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    Any truth to the rumor that some of the new buildings put up in APG are sinking???
    I would be more then happy to help you. I live in Middle River. I have been a Realtor for 4+ years and I know Maryland pretty well, We can even go look at some property by boat then swing over to Red Eyes to sign the contract! Middle River, Bowleys Quarters, any where in eastern Baltimore county is a short comute to APG and the area is just wonderful, very water oriented..Contact me if you need anything..

Samantha Bongiorno
    443-992-0835

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyb713 View Post
    We can even go look at some property by boat then swing over to Red Eyes to sign the contract!
    Classic! Not sure if we'd live "on" the water but it definitely has to be nearby.

Thanks for the offer, I may be following up.

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Classic! Not sure if we'd live "on" the water but it definitely has to be nearby.

Thanks for the offer, I may be following up.

Feel free to contact me! I would love to help someone out in the boating community!

19. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Frank sounds exciting, but if I was moving I'd rent a while till I felt comfortable about the area.
    Your little girl has a few years ahead of her before she starts school so you can wait. I am sure MA is not as bad as MI but homes have been taking so long to sell that if you make a wrong choice you might have to live with it for a long time. Good Luck

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Sorry Sammy I don't mean to rain on your parade