Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Oil cooler shopping
    Looking for 2 oil coolers for NA big blocks, probably 3 x 18. I have seen a few out there at places like Teague for about 300 bucks. Anybody know of a deal or something that they have had good luck with?

2. Collapse Details

http://www.rexmar.com/page275.html

The dual chambered one's are nice. If you're running separate collers for the transmissions, you can use one single chamber on one engine and a dual on the other for the power steering.

Don't forget- you NEED an oil thermostat. And a marine one. The 170 degree one's for automotive use won't allow moisture to cook out of the oil. You need one that opens at 220.

3. Collapse Details

Hmm.

4. Collapse Details

registered
    Remember when you came up with your budget???

You should have tripled it!!!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post

I know that feeling all too well.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post

Budget?

7. Collapse Details

Where does the oil thermostat go in the system?

I am using remote filters too, so there will be more oil outside of the block than in.

8. Collapse Details

Some are integral to the remote filter mount pad, some are in-line and some coolers have them built-in. I believe the Hardin is integral.

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    These are the ones I run. Only problem was finding the room. Ended up machining the holes in the solid mount engine plates larger and running them in line through the plates. Worked well and now can pull the engines with the coolers intact.

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=908
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

http://www.hardin-marine.com/ They make a few different styles. I need to call Hardin and find out a little more about the stand alone model. Ive re designed my remote oil setup twice already, I suppose scrapping two more sets of -12 AN stainless hoses wont hurt anything. :ack:

11. Collapse Details

The Hardin 620-700 looks good.

12. Collapse Details

Fund Razor - what are your oil temps now? I presume you run in the Great Lakes (intuitive, aren't I?) -I run in Lake Ontario and further North and oil temps are reasonable without coolers.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PayCheck View Post
    Fund Razor - what are your oil temps now? I presume you run in the Great Lakes (intuitive, aren't I?) -I run in Lake Ontario and further North and oil temps are reasonable without coolers.
    I am doing new higher HP builds. (Still normally aspirated, just large cubes) I have been advised to add oil coolers by those in the know. My theory was get it done while I have the engines out anyway. I don't usually get farther south than Toledo. Water temps are usually 60 to 75 degrees during my season.

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    How about the Revolution Marine?

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...olution+marine

And please forgive my ignorance on pipe vs hose sizes, but does 1" NPT translate to the 1 1/4" hose diameter that's typically used? Or does the 1" NPT mean you have to buy an adapter to suit whichever hose you use? Just curious which type will flow better.

15. Collapse Details

A good rule of thumb is that the next size hose up will flow about the same as the pipe in that size. So 1" pipe needs 1 1/4" hose. Hose is more flow restrictive than piping. But the real issue is fittings. Many people go to the AN/JIC fittings in these applications. That spec is primarily for high-pressure hydraulics. The internal diameters of those passages are adequate for 3,000 psi, but are very restrictive at 30. Purpose-built automotive type hardware is better suited for these applications. Always remember, the more the fittings, the less the flow. And elbows are absolutely a mistake. You always need to use a sweeping (tube style) elbow, not a 45 or 90.

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    (Hijacking for the greater good... )

So if I translate correctly, if you had a choice it's better to go with a 1-1/4" "hose barb" cooler rather than one which requires an adapter?

A few choices of coolers and molded hoses here:
    www.ebasicpower.com
    I typed "oil cooler" in the search box and scrolled down to find quite a few OEM style Merc replacements.

17. Collapse Details

Well looks like I'l be redoing oil lines again, just ordered a pair of hardin T stats. Ive been on the fence about weather or not I wanted to use them, for the cold ass water I boat in late in the fall I decided its probably better to be safe than sorry.

18. Collapse Details

Not necessarily. Just watch the adapters. The hose barb is obviously made for low pressure so you don't have to be concerned with losses. But there are different types of AN/JIC fittings.

I just ran downstairs to the shop. I grabbed a JIC 90 elbow in -6 (3/8") and mic'ed the opening of the internal passage. It's 0.234. But next to it is a hoase assembly with straight fittings swaged onto the ends. The opening in that same -6 hose is 0.170" So we drop our opening area to ONE FIFTH. We go from an opening area of .110 sq in on a 3/8 hose down to an opening area of .022 sq in on the inside of the fitting. These are 3kpsi nominal and 10kpsi max pressure hoses and fittings- and absolutely the wrong thisng for your application. And if you stop into a Parker or Aeroquip fluid power distributor, most likely what they're going to sell you. I'd be surprised if they had any cognizance of the application. They deal with HP hydraulics and don't necessarily understand the differences.

If you were to look in an equivalent low-pressure fitting (like an Earl's) you'd see a dramatic difference in ID sizes. If I recall, these fittings are max psi of 300. That's rubber hose, not the teflon-lined stuff.

Obviously a 3/8" hose cannot have a 3/8 id fitting on the end. So you have to be conscious of line sizing and restriction.

Much as I hate to do it...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...are.html?pp=20

We need to get Smitty to transfer this over here. Best article out there on oil system plumbing.

19. Collapse Details

Those inverted flare fittings that Merc used on the remote oil systems back in the 80's have an extremely tiny passage in them, I mic'd one to help a buddy better understand that his 5/8" oil lines were extremely constricted at the fittings.

20. Collapse Details

Waterford Mi., Lk. St. Clair and Lk. Erie
    I used Eddie Marine oil coolers. 3x18 on one engine and the 3x23 dual cooler for the power steering side. They were reasonable on the price.
    Big boats rule!