Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Racing with "speed limits" is the great equalizer.
    Water, testing, setup, experience, etc should do that. Match the machines- HP/LB ratio, LOA/HP or whatever. I don't know what works or doesn't in this realm. I don't know boat racing so I'll say cars- watching a ZR1 Vette run 55MPH is boring after 5 minutes even if the the chick behind the wheel is naked. Watching a dude running the same car 168MPH is exciting even if he looks like Catmando.

20 year old resin bucket? You may win OC, MD since it is an ocean race.

Brand new Fountain? You may win Cambridge, MD since it is a protected water race.

2. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Thought I would share this with you. This is a letter from Betty Cook to me, back in the 70's. She is writing about the problems we are having in offshore racing and some possible solutions.

Betty and Howard Arneson and I, tried to get something really radical going back then.......we actually thought there might be some merit in having a doctor on a helicopter over the racers...just in case. We were voted down.

Everything wasn't as sunny and glory filled as you might believe, back in the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Betty Cook Correspon.0001.jpg   Betty Cook Correspon.0002.jpg   betty906-0033.jpg  

Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

3. Collapse Details

It is my understanding that p-class racing was started so that the poker run guy or the weekend warrior had a place to race. Because as I said before it is not for everyone. P class allows you to get your start and see if you like racing with basically a pleasure boat. And when your ready to made the investment to not gps race then you can pick the class or group that you want to race with. Or stick to P-Class for some it is a lot more fun.

As for the cost of a boat...I found a p-boat for sale for $4500.00
    http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/1239900646.html

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tague View Post
    It is my understanding that p-class racing was started so that the poker run guy or the weekend warrior had a place to race. Because as I said before it is not for everyone. P class allows you to get your start and see if you like racing with basically a pleasure boat. And when your ready to made the investment to not gps race then you can pick the class or group that you want to race with. Or stick to P-Class for some it is a lot more fun.

As for the cost of a boat...I found a p-boat for sale for $4500.00
    http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/1239900646.html
    I agree with P class as it pertains to someone who is not going to travel much and can really race their "pleasure" boat two or three times a year. But, as I said, we can't even get those rules identical. Or is my shortened version of the rules wrong?

If we want boat count, (and why the heck wouldn't we), we need to standardize the rules. This year, not next after the changes, I could have raced OSS in Cumberland, Oss in LOTO, OPA in St Clair, OPA in Harrison, and SBI in Michigan City within an 10 hour drive. Plus grabbed a couple more OPA races, and 1 more SBI race, if I were willing to drive 12 hours.

Then made the long haul to the worlds.

But only if the rules had been standardized.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    Water, testing, setup, experience, etc should do that. Match the machines- HP/LB ratio, LOA/HP or whatever. I don't know what works or doesn't in this realm. I don't know boat racing so I'll say cars- watching a ZR1 Vette run 55MPH is boring after 5 minutes even if the the chick behind the wheel is naked. Watching a dude running the same car 168MPH is exciting even if he looks like Catmando.

Brand new Fountain? You may win Cambridge, MD since it is a protected water race.
    Two observations:

1 - matching the machines involves more officials ,inspections and teardowns.

2 - if you have ever been to any car race, it is the door to door racing that
    makes it exciting (as a fan or racer), not necessarily the top speed.
    Rich Smith
    Smith Brothers Offshore Racing Team
    Cotnertrailers.com 611

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post

Billy Martin won last year's Cambridge race with a 30-year-old Cigarette with a back seat, chrome horns on the deck and rod holders in the gunwhales. Then he buzzed the dock.
    I've seen alot of racing and it ranks up there as one of my favorite moments.

Back to the topic- that has been a major issue with class racing- one manufacturer comes up with something and instantly makes everyone else obsolete. So everyone else either needs a new $400K boat or thet get used to losing- and losing sponsors.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sbracing View Post
    Two observations:

1 - matching the machines involves more officials ,inspections and teardowns.

That puts you firmly back where the guy with the thick wallet will always win. Especially when that wallet supports not only his own racing activities but the sanctioning body as well.

8. Collapse Details

he put on a hell of a show at OC this year too....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Back to the topic- that has been a major issue with class racing- one manufacturer comes up with something and instantly makes everyone else obsolete. So everyone else either needs a new $400K boat or thet get used to losing- and losing sponsors.
    They do it with weight restrictions, plate restrictions, or wing restrictions in autos.

They used to do it, maybe still do?, with weight restrictions in Factory Classes.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    They do it with weight restrictions, plate restrictions, or wing restrictions in autos.

They used to do it, maybe still do?, with weight restrictions in Factory Classes.

what factory classes??? F-1 and 2 have no boats??

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    what factory classes??? F-1 and 2 have no boats??

They used to.

And I think they were slowed by weight, (The 39 Skater? Anyone?).

12. Collapse Details

Sure, there are lots of ways to match up the boats. But the GPS is the easiest way to do it AND it tosses expensive tech inspections, protests and many avenues of cheating right out the window.

I've heard repetitive knocks against the GPS classes over the years, but not one time have I ever heard a reasonable explanation why people would be opposed to it. Most times I hear "that's not real racing". But I'm not sure what that means.

13. Collapse Details

If we want boat count, (and why the heck wouldn't we), we need to standardize the rules. This year, not next after the changes, I could have raced OSS in Cumberland, Oss in LOTO, OPA in St Clair, OPA in Harrison, and SBI in Michigan City within an 10 hour drive. Plus grabbed a couple more OPA races, and 1 more SBI race, if I were willing to drive 12 hours.

But only if the rules had been standardized.[/QUOTE]

what P-class rules need to be standardized? they are pretty much all the same, both sbi and opa. are you saying that since sbi and opa are alittle different this is why you don't race??

the only major difference is the type of gps. sbi uses a garmin which most boaters have and is not a big deal to purchase and it is also a good piece of equipment to have aboard.

opa's version of gps is something that is used in trucking and costs a few hundred $$$$s. agian no big deal and smitty has 1 or 2 avialible as loaners if you just wanna run a single race to try it out.

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Sure, there are lots of ways to match up the boats. But the GPS is the easiest way to do it AND it tosses expensive tech inspections, protests and many avenues of cheating right out the window.

I've heard repetitive knocks against the GPS classes over the years, but not one time have I ever heard a reasonable explanation why people would be opposed to it. Most times I hear "that's not real racing". But I'm not sure what that means.
    No doubt GPS is the easiest way and it opens the door to all boats.

I enjoy the process of finding everything a boat has. In years past you chose boats, power and drive options to come up with the best contender.

I find it satisfying to work on set up and better the boat with in a defined set of rules.

To each his own. Neither way satisfies everyone. Together they fill the program.

15. Collapse Details

That puts you firmly back where the guy with the thick wallet will always win.
    It is possible to surmise the thick wallet still wins in bracket racing. The bigger boat with the biggest power limited to a given speed will usually have an advantage.

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post

But only if the rules had been standardized.

what P-class rules need to be standardized? they are pretty much all the same, both sbi and opa. are you saying that since sbi and opa are alittle different this is why you don't race??

the only major difference is the type of gps. sbi uses a garmin which most boaters have and is not a big deal to purchase and it is also a good piece of equipment to have aboard.

opa's version of gps is something that is used in trucking and costs a few hundred $$$$s. agian no big deal and smitty has 1 or 2 avialible as loaners if you just wanna run a single race to try it out.[/QUOTE]

Look at the classes. Some V only, Some average speed, Some twins, Some singles only, Some Maximum speed, etc.

Biut I don't really want to race bracket classes. I want to run an SVL or Stock Outboard. And in Stock outboard, you can't even run it except in SBI. You're back in P classes elsewhere.

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    It is possible to surmise the thick wallet still wins in bracket racing. The bigger boat with the biggest power limited to a given speed will usually have an advantage.
    And as in Drag brackets. He who can afford the best computer system....

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Here's what I have.

Class 500 OPA, 75mph maximum speed GPS, 30' maximum size, Vees only
    Class 400 OPA, 85mph maximum speed GPS, Vees only

SBI P5, 75mph maximum speed GPS, 30' and under single engine
    SBI P4, 85mph maximun speed GPS, no limitations

Class 4 OSS, 65mph average calculated plus timed, single engine only or twin outboard 24' to 30'
    Class 3 OSS, 75mph average calculated plus timed, no limitations
    Class 2 OSS, 85mph average calculated plus timed, no limitations

Have I read the rules wrong?

I hate quoting myself, but here is the way the rules read to me.

19. Collapse Details

Its called offshore racing. A real ocean race and a lot of people would be suprised how old and new boats are competive in the same class. Not about who gets to the turn first.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WHEELMAN View Post
    Its called offshore racing. A real ocean race and a lot of people would be suprised how old and new boats are competive in the same class. Not about who gets to the turn first.
    The open water races are better. I wish we would move back to longer courses in open water.