Thread: Fastest 41

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    This boat was in New Jersey sometime in the 1990's, specifically the Somer's Point/Ocean City area. We raced it from the Ninth Street Bridge heding south towards the 34th Street Bridge in flat water, it did not have 2 x 1350 hp at the time. It was lucky if it had 2 x 800 hp during that I didn't undertstand why the Apache wasn't just driving by us - I had told my father just beofre the race started that he, my father, was going to get his ass kicked by this boat, but just the opposite happened. You never know until you roll up along side of someone how fast they really are, there was a mystery back then of who went how fast, before Serious Offshore, and OffshoreOnly took some of the mystery out it.

What does Mean Streak look like?
    All Red with yellow lightning bolts and the other one was the JH Lipship Special!!! Paul LaSassa owned it for awhile he now has the old Warrior Boat which is now Island Racer
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal41 View Post
    You must tell us the details a 27 up against 2 41s. I did not know your father but if its hairy canery the magnum. i did hear that it just tip toed past frank. HAha great to read this give us more to this story?! do you know frank well?
    I just spoke with my Uncle, Barry Hills. My father, Barry and his wife (my Aunt) Vicki were going north in the Ocean towards Absecon Inlet (inlet between Atlantic City and Brigintine) when the Island Runner was heading out of the inlet traveling south. My father did one of loops (U-turns) and went after Mr. Kerbeck. According to Uncle my father eased up along side, so there was not a head start by either boat then the race was on. My father passed Kerbeck and held the lead, Kerbeck could not get around him. My Aunt Vicki was in the front passenger bolster, and my Unckle ion the back bench seat. This race happened before my father put in a grab handle for the back seat passenger's to secure themselves when racing. My Uncle said it was choppy, and the Hairy Canary was airborne quite a bit, he felt as if he where going to fly out of the back of the boat, which to this day he will never forget. Keep in mind, my father would not back out it in a race like that, but he also knew how to drive that Magnum.

They raced in choppy water, it was a close race, but there was no doubt who had won the race that day. But this was not the day that that Mr.Kerbeck and my spoke - after the race Mr. Kerbeck kept traveling south, and did not stop for chit chat.

3. Collapse Details

Never went over a 100MPH in a 41.... but flew over 8' swells @75!!!!!!

I was in Geronimo in ths picture running from Indian River Inlet back to Ocean City with Jenny's Express and the Helo chasing us snapping pictures the whole way back.... I can tell you I have driven a few cats over the years one of them up to 146MPH and have ridden in several more, each one was a rush, but this was one of my favorite boat rides ever!!!!

Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails geronimo.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Funny story after I posted the above and looked at the picture ....

That's "Tantra" in the front Port Bolster, you see his arm hanging out of the cockpit.... I'm in the rear Starboard 6pack...

We were clipping along and the guys in the Helo are pointing out to the side of the boat like something is wrong, Brian (owner) is coming off plane and we are all thinking the side of the boat maybe blown out the way the guys were reacting....

we slowed down looked over the side and the middle piece of the rubrail had popped out, Kent was holding it up as not to loose it more.

5. Collapse Details

So he is the one who is holding the rub rail insert

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    My father, Barry and his wife (my Aunt) Vicki were going north in the Ocean towards Absecon Inlet (inlet between Atlantic City and Brigintine) when the Island Runner was heading out of the inlet traveling south.

My Uncle said it was choppy, and the Hairy Canary was airborne quite a bit, he felt as if he where going to fly out of the back of the boat, which to this day he will never forget. Keep in mind, my father would not back out it in a race like that, but he also knew how to drive that Magnum.
    I give your Aunt Vicki lots of credit, lord knows my wife would be punching my left arm/shoulder to get me to slow down.... I call her my rev. limiter, it kicks in around 75 mph...

In hindsight she probably keeps me from having to do some rebuilds... lol

7. Collapse Details

The front passenger seat in the Magnum had floor cut-outs and and made you fell secure, that back seat was hardly anything. My Aunt just did not want to upset my father that day by asking him to slow down. I do not remember her ever getting on that boat again after that Sunday outing.

Many a girlfriend of mine became the rev limiter you speak of, my mother did the same to father that you speak of, "my wife would be punching my left arm/shoulder to get me to slow down." Exactly the same, too funny. My mother stopped boating once my father got the Magnum.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
    Never went over a 100MPH in a 41.... but flew over 8' swells @75!!!!!!

I was in Geronimo in ths picture running from Indian River Inlet back to Ocean City with Jenny's Express and the Helo chasing us snapping pictures the whole way back.... I can tell you I have driven a few cats over the years one of them up to 146MPH and have ridden in several more, each one was a rush, but this was one of my favorite boat rides ever!!!!

Pat

Now that's a cool picture.

9. Collapse Details

Wicked Won did 109-113, the black firewater boat is now a 6 pak boat the Herb did, it was originally the "Apache Trader", Jerrys saber is just over 100. The lipship boat went to england with no motors then the motors wound up over there as well, boat took on tons of water at the dock one day with a broken gimble, not total submerge but very close.

the quick tempered 47 with half cabin and 1300 sterlings did 117, there is a video somewhere of it on you tube.

and just for the record when paul did the 119 in the 41, I talked to him after and he said the boat was crazy loose, be careful in them much over. wicked won also had boxes which kept it a little more planted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wickedwon.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

Rob, I think it's time for you to join the tribe!!!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
    Wicked Won did 109-113, the black firewater boat is now a 6 pak boat the Herb did, it was originally the "Apache Trader", Jerrys saber is just over 100. The lipship boat went to england with no motors then the motors wound up over there as well, boat took on tons of water at the dock one day with a broken gimble, not total submerge but very close.

the quick tempered 47 with half cabin and 1300 sterlings did 117, there is a video somewhere of it on you tube.

and just for the record when paul did the 119 in the 41, I talked to him after and he said the boat was crazy loose, be careful in them much over. wicked won also had boxes which kept it a little more planted.
    I am not buying that thing went 119....I will argue this until I am blue in the face...I have been an Apache guy for a long long time and not buying it....I will say it again there isn't one out there breaking 120 and if there's a 41 Apache breaking 110 I will pay to see it!!!!

12. Collapse Details

http://www.northcoastyachts.com/legend1.html

Step child but past the century mark with out a doubt. Beefed up power as well..

13. Collapse Details

so now that we have worked over the fastest apache, who has the slowest bayliner??????
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    So he is the one who is holding the rub rail insert
    thats correct....

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    I am not buying that thing went 119....I will argue this until I am blue in the face...I have been an Apache guy for a long long time and not buying it....I will say it again there isn't one out there breaking 120 and if there's a 41 Apache breaking 110 I will pay to see it!!!!
    not debating that fact, with no pic it is just one persons word. when it was done it was with 1300 and psi blowers so not impossible. the numbers would work as well as the 47 did 117 with 1300 sterlings and a half cabin, so the weight difference alone makes it plausible.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    so now that we have worked over the fastest apache, who has the slowest bayliner??????
    I think my in-laws Bayliner might qualify... It has a 305 small block with an alpha drive. I took it out on Monday with the family and we were cruising at a whopping 20 mph @ 3500 rpms!!

But at least we were out on the water!

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by baywatch View Post

Step child but past the century mark with out a doubt. Beefed up power as well..
    Thanks for the link, I haven't seen that before. Boat looks solid.

What's interesting to me is the same company is building my fathers old boat; http://www.northcoastyachts.com/fino1.html

18. Collapse Details

shhhhhh quiet is always better.. did not see you guys last weekend. How's she runnin? I was honestly late gettin thier,Brad and I stayed up all night finishing her up . Hay Bam says thiers runs 121 on thier website,I believe..........

19. Collapse Details

Thats all well and good but I am talking about the Apaches laid up at apache by apache those are the ones that I am talking about if you take current technology and lay up a good epoxy boat I am sure you will have something that will be faster that the old ones...Now out of the 75 41's built and thats all there is, is 75!!!! Show me one breaking 110 and I will buy you the best stripper you have ever had!!!!!

20. Collapse Details

Put a pair of 1300s + arnesons in MMs 41... should be close to 120.
    But that'd be alot of $ to shell out for the best stripper ever!