Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Here is BGIII's 34 foot Sabre with midship p/s lights
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OSO%20%233.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Does it cast too much glare into the cockpit? Mine is all white.

Also... I would be afraid of becoming invisible when bow up in waves from the perspective of a vessel that I am overtaking but not yet able to get alongside. They may not see side lights, or the stern light. I thought that if I did a bow light for port/starboard signaling, and a mast as high as possible it would help. My paint job will make it very hard for someone to get a sense of the size of the boat. It is almost navy camo.
    The mid-ship lights are very visible, not worry there. The bow widens mid-ship, so the lights are the widest part of the boat and can easily be seen.

You have to understand that we're not getting light into our cockpit from the nav light due to the height of our back seat. There have been 3 or 4 of us that removed our front nav lights to the back and wished we had done it long before we did.
    Queen of Bammin'

3. Collapse Details

Here's a pic of our mid-ship lights. They are original.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apache91007c.bmp  
    Queen of Bammin'

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/equ_nav.htm

I have noticed many boats are not lit properly. The rear 360 light is often not tall enough. Having spent many many hours boating at night I found the split white light much better. Glare on the dash is only part of it . It prevents you from looking around too. It is your responsibility to be seen.

We used to keep the battery back ups, the flashlight looking things, on board too.

If someone hits you and their lawyer determines you weren't properly lit it is on you.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 05-07-2009 at 10:14 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefApache View Post
    The mid-ship lights are very visible, not worry there.
    So... if you are following me, and I am going too slow... and pretty soon Rob has to check up on his speed to see if he can safely pass or not, given the width of the channel, speeds, hazards, etc. While he is evaluating the situation, if I turn my head and look aftward, directly back at your bow... which is exactly on my 6 O'Clock, will I see two midship lights from 100 or more yards in front of you, looking straight down your bow? And will the passengers or anything else hide that rear light? If I can't see both lights when you are coming up on my 6, I may not realize that you are heading directly at me.

6. Collapse Details

I am thinking about a split white and a combo bow light. I think that this may give me the maximum visability to other vessels. I mean... when I look back and see a red and green very close together, with a white a few feet above it... I know for sure that a vessel is following me up or down the channel.

I feel kind of a responsibility to define the length of the bow by using a bow light.

Hmmm.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Scarab KV View Post
    I would think so. White needs to be behind your forward navs. Things would be pretty confusing for other boats. Too many out there at night that think they know what they're doing. No need to make it any harder for them.
    That was my thought too. I will look at moving it to the stern then. i really dont have it out at night so i have time to figure it out.

8. Collapse Details

So... if you are following me, and I am going too slow... and pretty soon Rob has to check up on his speed to see if he can safely pass or not, given the width of the channel, speeds, hazards, etc. While he is evaluating the situation, if I turn my head and look aftward, directly back at your bow... which is exactly on my 6 O'Clock, will I see two midship lights from 100 or more yards in front of you, looking straight down your bow? And will the passengers or anything else hide that rear light? If I can't see both lights when you are coming up on my 6, I may not realize that you are heading directly at me.
    Yes, you will see both midship lights and our bow light, which meets the USCG standard that Jim posted. That was one of the things I was concered about, will the nav light be high enough to see at night? It's very visible at night all around.

You have to understand John that in our boat, our sunpads and back seat are much higher than most due to the depth of our cockpit. The nav light towers over all of it, so it is not prohibiting your sight when you look back.

Why do you think if you look behind at 6 o'clock at any boat with midship lights that they are not visible? They have to be, correct? Otherwise how would anyone be able to see you when you are heading towards them? There are many baots with midship nav lights.
    Queen of Bammin'

9. Collapse Details

Yes
    Ok.

10. Collapse Details

There are many baots with midship nav lights.
    Yeah, my Stinger had them, but the shorter bow and design of the boat lent intself to being able to see both very well. I just wondered on a really long boat with them back so far that they are literally on the side, if one was ever obscured.

11. Collapse Details

Yeah, my Stinger had them, but the shorter bow and design of the boat lent intself to being able to see both very well. I just wondered on a really long boat with them back so far that they are literally on the side, if one was ever obscured.
    OK that makes sense understand your concern. Be careful with pop-up anything. Keep them oiled so they are loose as we've come across some that are difficult to pop up, and your nav lights are one thing you don't want to have a problem with.
    Queen of Bammin'

12. Collapse Details

John.... before you get ANY ideas.... you are NOT stuffing me in the anchor locker with a white light on my head and a red and green flashlight in each hand.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    John.... before you get ANY ideas.... you are NOT stuffing me in the anchor locker with a white light on my head and a red and green flashlight in each hand.
    Dam. You could have had a jacket that said "Rob" on one side and "Nav Lights" on the other.

14. Collapse Details

with a big apache on the back?? and is there a rum and coke dispenser in the anchor locker??
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    with a big apache on the back?? and is there a rum and coke dispenser in the anchor locker??
    Yep. And a small bolster.

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    FWIW, the 311 has a rear mast light that mounts right between the grab bars at the rear of the engine hatch. I ran a bunch at night and while it may have required you to put your hand up to shield your vision from the light if looking back, it wasn't that big of a deal (we're in go-fast boats; how often is someone overtaking us? ). I never found it to be a problem as far as overpowering my cockpit or forward vision.

Also FWIW, think of what the minimum lighting is that you need to determine direction. All you have to see is red or green to know you are within the forward 180 degree arc; if you see white with a color then you're within the 180 arc on either side; if all you see is white then you're somewhere behind. I know when I'm running at night, the last thing I'm looking for is a white light over a color; I'm just looking for color.

17. Collapse Details

Me too Sledge but put an extra o before the l and change the last o to an e (cooler)

Before panties are in a bunch, that is a joke!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    FWIW, the 311 has a rear mast light that mounts right between the grab bars at the rear of the engine hatch. I ran a bunch at night and while it may have required you to put your hand up to shield your vision from the light if looking back, it wasn't that big of a deal (we're in go-fast boats; how often is someone overtaking us? ). I never found it to be a problem as far as overpowering my cockpit or forward vision.

Also FWIW, think of what the minimum lighting is that you need to determine direction. All you have to see is red or green to know you are within the forward 180 degree arc; if you see white with a color then you're within the 180 arc on either side; if all you see is white then you're somewhere behind. I know when I'm running at night, the last thing I'm looking for is a white light over a color; I'm just looking for color.
    I got ya Michael.... but when I am running at night, I am looking for anything I can get.

19. Collapse Details

Sledge my 311 and 302 had the 180 degree stern light, mid mounted 360 degree, and bow light. I did change the 302 to a stern light only but not the 311. My guess is that some one changed yours over as well?

Jon

20. Collapse Details

Registered
    Jon, I think it was a design change, late '80s or starting with '90 maybe? I knew the early models of our size and most of the smaller SR1 series have the windshield mounted 360 plus the transom. But since mine was a '91 I figure Formula must have figured something out that made them make the change. I'm certain mine was factory original because I had to replace the mount once. Probably one of the few positive experiences with West Marine; they ordered a white replacement for me for less than $10 from the manufacturer. It was probably a no brainer for Formula to change the setup since they could still use the wiring harness for the stern light, and eliminate everything for the windshield mount. Not to mention improvement in driver's visibility.

So Fund I forgot to mention earlier, if you need a mast mount in white or black I'll see if I can dig up a part number. I might've sent all the receipts with the boat when I sold it though...