Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    how to tell if its a 25 or 28 from a distance.
    Hey all sunsation guys. ive been keeping an eye out for any real kind of 28ft boat. but around town ive noticed a boat siting in a guys yard that lives on a small lake.

So boat looks newer and has one step in the hull. i dont know if the 25ft had them or not. i really dont want to walk in his yard and and start looking over his boat. but if i can find out if its a 28 then i may try and buy it.

So how can i tell its a 28ft. boat looks like one for sale on oso but not same boat. it does have one step in hull, looks to be single engine. is sitting on twin axle trailer. that all i really have but any help is good. thanks.

2. Collapse Details

#1-------Walk up to the front door of the house

#2-------Knock or ring doorbell on front door

#3------Ask if you can take a look at the boat (I do not know of any boat owner that does not want to show off his boat.

#4------ When the owner is showing the boat, I have a feeling he will answer any questions you have......even if it is for sale.

#5------Pull out a wad of $100.00 bills and give the man whatever amount he is asking.

#6------Enjoy your new boat.........then..... B-O-A-T

3. Collapse Details

any other ideas?

4. Collapse Details

This is how I would do it if I did not want to ask the guy. Take a picture of something that you know the length of like a bench or a car. Measure the length of the object in the picture and then figure out the ratio of real life size to picture size. With your zoom set at the same position, take a picture of the boat. Go home, do a bit of cross multiplication, and you got yourself a length!

5. Collapse Details

Take a picture of it and I'll tell ya.

6. Collapse Details

28' usually a tri-ax trailer.
    You're putting a lot of effort into sizing up a boat that may or may not be for sale.
    Sounds like you're prop (tire) kicking - just saying.
    There are plenty out there for sale, and right now is a good time to be buying.
    Good Luck in the search!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    28' usually a tri-ax trailer.
    No a 28 single is usually a dual axle trailer. I have seen 32 Sunsations on dual axle Myco trailers also.

The boat is more than likely a 28 (288) and the step is only through the first strake, not a full step bottom. The 25's are all straightbottom boats.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    The 25's are all straightbottom boats.
    My 25 had the partial step up to the first strake. 97 was the first year for the partial step.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aggressor_01.jpg   Avatar - Air.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

28's look like so on a trailer. Older ones do not have the step.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.JPG   36.JPG  

10. Collapse Details

No a 28 single is usually a dual axle trailer. I have seen 32 Sunsations on dual axle Myco trailers also.

The boat is more than likely a 28 (288) and the step is only through the first strake, not a full step bottom. The 25's are all straightbottom boats.
    OK, that's just a general rule of thumb I've always gone by.
    28'+ should be on a tri-axle.
    But that's just me.

11. Collapse Details

In no way am i prop kicking, just keep expanding my search. ive been hearing that the sunsation is a good boat for speed, unlike pantera.

As far as the boat its been sitting in this guys driveway for years. and i know everything is for sale for the right price. he does live on a small lake, i would not take over a 20ft on it. but ya no for sale sign on it. ill try and take a picture and post it up.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaross97 View Post
    In no way am i prop kicking, just keep expanding my search. ive been hearing that the sunsation is a good boat for speed, unlike pantera.
    I'll let the familia handle that last comment.

Sunny, vs. Pantera of the same size...
    You're killing me.

Both good boats, but both built with different intentions.
    I wish you luck in your search.

13. Collapse Details

The boat is more than likely a 28 (288) and the step is only through the first strake, not a full step bottom..
    The 28's have a full step now FYI.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    The 28's have a full step now FYI.
    05 and newer but I assumed this was an older rig from the sitting on the trailer/ side of the house description........Didn't know the 25's ever had the partial step.

15. Collapse Details

OK, that's just a general rule of thumb I've always gone by.
    28'+ should be on a tri-axle.
    But that's just me.
    Axles on trailers are usually determined by weight not length of boat. A 28 Sunny is 4500 lbs dry. Triple axles would be a waste of time....

16. Collapse Details

ive been hearing that the sunsation is a good boat for speed, unlike pantera.

17. Collapse Details

I'll let the familia handle that last comment.

Sunny, vs. Pantera of the same size...
    You're killing me.

Both good boats, but both built with different intentions.
    I wish you luck in your search.
    elite marine boat sure ran well with big power, never could get it set up!

18. Collapse Details

im not saying pantera is slow. just takes a ton to get speed out of them and most the time no one ever really gets it perfect. i know of one forsale that is all set up and hes only seeing 90s. when a Sun. out of the box i hear can run closeer to that with no problem. Dont get me wrong i love the old school style of panteras but limited build of the boat keeps the pirce out of my reach as of right this second. Jo at pantera is what make me pick that brand he has a ton of knowlege and to be able to call the factory and get the owner and just be able to talk and bounce ideas off of him is really great. i dont know of any other company that has an open door to anyone and will give you the time of day on the phone just to see if he knows of "this used boat"

Also seem like the sun. guys are a bit rough on possible new people?

19. Collapse Details

im not saying pantera is slow. just takes a ton to get speed out of them and most the time no one ever really gets it perfect. i know of one forsale that is all set up and hes only seeing 90s. when a Sun. out of the box i hear can run closeer to that with no problem. i dont know of any other company that has an open door to anyone and will give you the time of day on the phone just to see if he knows of "this used boat"

Sunsation is in your backyard and you can call/visit anytime with the owners Wayne and Joe. They are the best in the business when it comes to owners and prospective owners of both new and used Sunsations.

Sunsations with bigger power can touch 90 but I wouldn't say it is an out of the box 90 mph or almost 90 mph boat. The 288's that hit that number are whippled 525 boats and the 32's are twin 525 boats.

The sun guys aren't tough on new people at all. Good luck in your search for your boat.....

20. Collapse Details

im not saying pantera is slow. just takes a ton to get speed out of them and most the time no one ever really gets it perfect. i know of one forsale that is all set up and hes only seeing 90s. when a Sun. out of the box i hear can run closeer to that with no problem. Dont get me wrong i love the old school style of panteras but limited build of the boat keeps the pirce out of my reach as of right this second. Jo at pantera is what make me pick that brand he has a ton of knowlege and to be able to call the factory and get the owner and just be able to talk and bounce ideas off of him is really great. i dont know of any other company that has an open door to anyone and will give you the time of day on the phone just to see if he knows of "this used boat"

Spend some time on the Sunsation forum bet you think different of us, I dont know Jo at Pantera but I do know Joe at Sunsation and he does all you listed above and more, He returned a call to me on a Sunday afternoon and that was after I had already bought our 288mcob Sunsations customer service is 2nd to none that I know of.