Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 1598
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Dammit man.....
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    We lost our support when our president told our venues we were merging and creating one big ship. That never happened. MD
    Randy, I guess that's a swipe at me...so I'll reply. Otherwise I'd never bring this subject up, especially in public.

When OSS race sites started dropping off due to being disappointed by a low boat count (Pickwick, Orange Beach, Destin) it became clear to me that the OSS show was no longer sellable. For OSS to survive, it needed to merge....now that you've realized that too, you basically have merged with SBI so congradulations.

As you've learned, finding race sites that have the money and resources to put on a race are far and few between. When you find one, they deserve more than 20 boats showing up considering all of the time, money and energy they put forth to produce the races. Especially if you want to be invited back next year. 30 boats seems to be the minimum of what's considered "A good turnout".

When Woody confided in my that he was very disappointed with the boat count as were the promoters in Lake Cumberland, they both wanted to know how OSS could bring more boats the following year. I only knew one way that could happen.

If OSS had followed my lead and merged with OPA, you would be enjoying a nice 8 or nine race season, sponsorship from Geico and a TV show. And the race sites would have been thrilled. All they want is a good show.

As for P1, let Smitty answer that. I think he's waiting to hear how working with P1 will benifit OPA and it's teams in 2010 and for the long term. I'd like to hear the answer to that too.

Randy, I gotta say, I'm with Heater. I miss our talks and listening to your passion for the sport. I know it's a headache for you now, but once you realize that you are a racer and don't belong on the OSS board, then it might become fun for you again. Leave the headaches to the guys that run the organization. Go back to doing what you do best. Losing races and having a great time doing it.

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
    Randy, I guess that's a swipe at me...so I'll reply. Otherwise I'd never bring this subject up, especially in public.

When OSS race sites started dropping off due to being disappointed by a low boat count (Pickwick, Orange Beach, Destin) it became clear to me that the OSS show was no longer sellable. For OSS to survive, it needed to merge....now that you've realized that too, you basically have merged with SBI so congradulations.

As you've learned, finding race sites that have the money and resources to put on a race are far and few between. When you find one, they deserve more than 20 boats showing up considering all of the time, money and energy they put forth to produce the races. Especially if you want to be invited back next year. 30 boats seems to be the minimum of what's considered "A good turnout".

When Woody confided in my that he was very disappointed with the boat count as were the promoters in Lake Cumberland, they both wanted to know how OSS could bring more boats the following year. I only knew one way that could happen.

If OSS had followed my lead and merged with OPA, you would be enjoying a nice 8 or nine race season, sponsorship from Geico and a TV show. And the race sites would have been thrilled. All they want is a good show.

As for P1, let Smitty answer that. I think he's waiting to hear how working with P1 will benifit OPA and it's teams in 2010 and for the long term. I'd like to hear the answer to that too.

Randy, I gotta say, I'm with Heater. I miss our talks and listening to your passion for the sport. I know it's a headache for you now, but once you realize that you are a racer and don't belong on the OSS board, then it might become fun for you again. Leave the headaches to the guys that run the organization. Go back to doing what you do best. Losing races and having a great time doing it.
    If a CEO from a car company fails,,,does he blame the customers ???
    Nice try thogh.
    Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 02-26-2010 at 10:36 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Thanks for the reality check Ron and Doug. I get cought up in all the BS. Sometimes I think Hellen Keller had it figured out. Racing is what I love and what I am best at.
    MD
    http://youtu.be/u0MEjFpPADY
    Typhoon racing SVL,P5,P4,
    THIS MY OPINION ONLY NOT OTHERS!!!!

5. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    Was there an official announcement somewhere that I missed that OPA said they wanted no part of it ??? I understand the meeting in December that Smitty was given very short notice and was unable to attend.
    I am not aware of any other attempts for talks on the subject, but then again, I am not in the circle to know most of that anyway... I only know of a few sites of OPA that would be able to accommodate the needs of a Powerboat P1 Race anyway. So if they were to be involved, it would not be but a few sites...

I do know the offer is out there for the SVL's to run with OPA. I just hope that does not turn out to be a 1 season filler until the Powerboat P1 USA gets up and running and the class will find the time to participate in both.

As an SVL Class, and the schedule I last saw was to make no commitment to a full season for any one organization. I guess that may work for the Class, but I can't see how it will be explained to the TV Audience in an 8 Series back to back coverage how 1 week SVL's are not there, then another week they are.

I guess the editors will figure it out....
    Tim with all respect,,NONE OF WHAT SVL DOES IS ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS,,My agreement with the ones who it does concern ,,is and will be met..your inuendoes and slanderious comments are unfounded.and one sided,,I don,t care what you write,,but when you start with my class,,It will only start something we both don,t need,, there are no rules in a war..so i ask you nicely PLEASE LET IT GO,,,,,GEORGE JR.
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    If a CEO from a car company fails,,,does blame the customers ???
    Nice try thogh.
    Poor analogy. We aren't selling a tangable product here. We are selling a show. When not enough actors show up to fill out the cast....how would you feel buying a ticket to that show?

7. Collapse Details

I really hate to read this stuff but did you ever notice that after a good brawl with the old lady the make up sex is the best

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
    Poor analogy. We aren't selling a tangable product here. We are selling a show. When not enough actors show up to fill out the cast....how would you feel buying a ticket to that show?
    Good point. most actors dont pay to act, maybe some one should talk to the cast about there needs before thay sell a show [TV]. ---- what ticket sales?

9. Collapse Details

Randy, yes we had a meeting with Martin. It was to be a fact finding mission. What I learned is the grand plan shifts more gears than an Indy car. There will be more conversations, I am sure. Always be aware of this. We are not looking towards the best interest of OPA or Geico. We are looking at what is best for OUR sport. Others have failed, and maybe we will too. But for the first time in 5 years Scotty B, Scott Colton, Haggin, Louie. Augie, and myself are all 100 percent on the same page. Why not get on board. I understand your loyalities. But you have been one of OPA's main guys for years. Your biggest asset is not in the areana of politics. It is your presence at the site. You bring a lot of energy, and passion, that others follow. I hope you are with us this year. You are always welcome. As far as Spreading our wings, yes I wondered too would the extra travel thin out the ranks. We will run eight races. Last year we ran six. Orange Beach is the worlds and will be scored separate from the series. So basically there are seven races to score yourself on, if you wish to contend for the National Championship. We added one race Sunny Isles beach. From what I have been hearing, alot of the teams are excited to race in FLA. We are going to allow everyone to score on seven races, and drop their worst finsh. This way if you only run six races you are still in the running, for the National Championship. Orange Beach will have enough Perks attached, that everyone will be there. The APBA is not out of the picture. We are working down the chain of priorities. The biggest issue is the fees. The race sanction fee is no big deal. The racing membership fees are too high. 250.00 per racing member. We have 450 members and 250 racing members. 250 times 250.00 62,500.00. plus 5600.00 in race sanction fees. For a total of 68,100.00 a year. Not including individual team members. For all of this what do you get is the question. If I had an extra 68K I would make it a high points fund. This would help us grow. While the APBA attachment would be nice, will it help us grow? I think not. Most recently there are more people taking shots at us. This is encouraging, it means we must be doing something right or they would not care. I/WE are excited about the prospects of Offshore moving forward. I am not a big fan of change. So you will see little steps at a time being taken to move forward. We ask for your support, and your patience as collectively we take our sport to the next level. To all of our OPA teams, thanks for your support over the years, and always know that this is your organization. We run it for you. If you love it ...Race it. Smitty
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    If a CEO from a car company fails,,,does blame the customers ???
    Nice try thogh.
    Oh and by the way Scott...ah....Nevermind
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Great post Smitty

12. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Smitty,

I usually try not to post on these forums anymore but I felt like adding a positive tone for You and OPA. You know how much I love the sport and for the FIRST time since the fall of the APBA OFFSHORE LLC, I see a real renewed vision for the sport of Offshore Powerboat Racing here in the US and I applaud every aspect of it.

Not being an equipment owner or a crew member and being more of a fan/ spectator these days I am very excited for the new direction that OPA is taking. Keep up the hard work and remember many a times when there is poor criticism it is usually due to the fact that you are doing something right.

DPT

ps. when are we taking another plane flight together??? LOL!!!
    YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE THIS SH*T UP!!!!!!

13. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing View Post
    Randy, yes we had a meeting with Martin. It was to be a fact finding mission. What I learned is the grand plan shifts more gears than an Indy car. There will be more conversations, I am sure. Always be aware of this. We are not looking towards the best interest of OPA or Geico. We are looking at what is best for OUR sport. Others have failed, and maybe we will too. But for the first time in 5 years Scotty B, Scott Colton, Haggin, Louie. Augie, and myself are all 100 percent on the same page. Why not get on board. I understand your loyalities. But you have been one of OPA's main guys for years. Your biggest asset is not in the areana of politics. It is your presence at the site. You bring a lot of energy, and passion, that others follow. I hope you are with us this year. You are always welcome. As far as Spreading our wings, yes I wondered too would the extra travel thin out the ranks. We will run eight races. Last year we ran six. Orange Beach is the worlds and will be scored separate from the series. So basically there are seven races to score yourself on, if you wish to contend for the National Championship. We added one race Sunny Isles beach. From what I have been hearing, alot of the teams are excited to race in FLA. We are going to allow everyone to score on seven races, and drop their worst finsh. This way if you only run six races you are still in the running, for the National Championship. Orange Beach will have enough Perks attached, that everyone will be there. The APBA is not out of the picture. We are working down the chain of priorities. The biggest issue is the fees. The race sanction fee is no big deal. The racing membership fees are too high. 250.00 per racing member. We have 450 members and 250 racing members. 250 times 250.00 62,500.00. plus 5600.00 in race sanction fees. For a total of 68,100.00 a year. Not including individual team members. For all of this what do you get is the question. If I had an extra 68K I would make it a high points fund. This would help us grow. While the APBA attachment would be nice, will it help us grow? I think not. Most recently there are more people taking shots at us. This is encouraging, it means we must be doing something right or they would not care. I/WE are excited about the prospects of Offshore moving forward. I am not a big fan of change. So you will see little steps at a time being taken to move forward. We ask for your support, and your patience as collectively we take our sport to the next level. To all of our OPA teams, thanks for your support over the years, and always know that this is your organization. We run it for you. If you love it ...Race it. Smitty
    Fantastic post. We are excited about 2010.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    Fantastic post. We are excited about 2010.

15. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Tim with all respect,,NONE OF WHAT SVL DOES IS ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS............ there are no rules in a war..so i ask you nicely PLEASE LET IT GO,,,,,GEORGE JR.
    I certainly will keep that in mind throughout the season...

Not sure what WAR you're talking about, but perhaps you should read up on "THE GENEVA CONVENTION"

I am sure you will do what's best for you and your Class. Maybe I'll see you and maybe I won't but Good Luck !

16. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Thumbs up
    Very informative post Smitty.

At least it is nice to hear the possibility is still there to be able to work with Powerboat P1 & APBA....

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DPT MOTORSPORTS View Post
    Smitty,

I usually try not to post on these forums anymore but I felt like adding a positive tone for You and OPA. You know how much I love the sport and for the FIRST time since the fall of the APBA OFFSHORE LLC, I see a real renewed vision for the sport of Offshore Powerboat Racing here in the US and I applaud every aspect of it.
    I think Dennis's words are worth reposting.
    Best of luck to you Smitty. Just my opinion, but I think you're heading the right direction.
    Abbysomeone

18. Collapse Details

Smitty, Thanks for posting. It takes a lot of the guess work out. I think sometimes is it just me or does this not look right.

On unification, this is still going forward if you like the overall direction or not it is happening.

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

20. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing View Post
    Oh and by the way Scott...ah....Nevermind
    mmmhhhhhh